Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not you guys are taxi drivers. Uber's propoganda calling you rideshare partners is hilarious. There are now between 4 to 7 times as many taxi drivers in the market in America, just to service the abundance needed on fri and sat equal to the overall service industry needed on those days. While the taxi industry needed attention to those days, the overall service industry would be equally needy. Where were all you guys before uber? I don't recall lines around taxi companies with people looking to drive a taxi before uber. This site alone attests to the issues with driving a taxi, yet now soccer moms want to participate in the second most dangerous profession next to a police officer. What's up with that?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Believe it or not you guys are taxi drivers. Uber's propoganda calling you rideshare partners is hilarious. There are now between 4 to 7 times as many taxi drivers in the market in America, just to service the abundance needed on fri and sat equal to the overall service industry needed on those days. While the taxi industry needed attention to those days, the overall service industry would be equally needy. Where were all you guys before uber? I don't recall lines around taxi companies with people looking to drive a taxi before uber. This site alone attests to the issues with driving a taxi, yet now soccer moms want to participate in the second most dangerous profession next to a police officer. What's up with that?
Prior it was a job that you had to invest money to begin, you are forced into working long hours to pay back the lease just to see a profit and like you said with a heavy cash business it is dangerous. Now if you already have a car there is no investment, I can go out for 1 hour or 12 it is my choice and it is 99% a cashless business, who wants to rob someone where they won't get green. Stealing a car is risky, it is huge, identifiable and not worth the risk to most criminals.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never said anything about a heavy cash business. And your flexibilty has existed in most markets for over 400 years. The inherent danger exists because of the nature of the business, whether motivated by money or other issues, obviously shown by this site. Consistently having a stranger in your back seat is questionable period. And the technology available today is used by my company, the majority of my business is charge accounts or credit cards, yet the passenger doesn't change. You're a taxi driver, period, and the methods of crime change with technology.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Exactly, criminals adapt, just like technology. Uber wants you to think they reinvented the wheel. They did, only it has nails in it that didn't exist before.
I agree with everything you've said in this forum. Regardless of what happens to Uber, I'm an experienced driver now.
The more trades you have in your back pocket the better off you are! Plus, I'm enjoying it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uber tries to portray this business as a friend giving a friend a ride for loads of money. If that were the case then the taxi business would have a years long waiting list for drivers and uber would be a moot point, actually non-existent. Their disregard for the drivers makes me ill.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Indeed they are cab drivers!!!;)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I do it to supplement my income. I do watch my 6 constantly, and trust no one. Having a car that qualified for select in my market has helped. I enjoy the challenge of making it semi-profitable, and I like the social aspect. I'm not a big fan of young drunkards, though. Never knew before just how bad 2 or 3 drunks could smell at 2am.

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Prior it was a job that you had to invest money to begin, you are forced into working long hours to pay back the lease just to see a profit and like you said with a heavy cash business it is dangerous. Now if you already have a car there is no investment, I can go out for 1 hour or 12 it is my choice and it is 99% a cashless business, who wants to rob someone where they won't get green. Stealing a car is risky, it is huge, identifiable and not worth the risk to most criminals.
Except...
Your $22,000 car will be toast in 30 months, JUST like a cab.
See, the car can't tell the difference if it's yellow or has a U On the windshield.
All it knows is its getting the crap bear out of it.
Sounds like a $22,000 investment metered out over 30 months to me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very well put volksie, just watch your back. PLEASE all of you watch your back, I didn't one time and it almost cost me my life. Be careful and alert at all times.
Thanks for the reminder about this dangerous job. I don't drive nights because I don't see the value in it. That removes a lot of problems. (If I can't see their eyes they're not getting in my car!).
It blows my mind how many riders have tried to bring open containers into my van though! Like it's ok because they aren't driving. I canceled on some golfers Friday (daytime drunks), because they wouldn't throw out their drinks. The looks on their faces as I drove away was priceless!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hrcabbie, you seem to be suggesting that rides share, or whatever you choose to call it, has not created a market and customers that as you noticed was not always there. In fact it has.

It's a dangerous world. People get killed at movie theaters, at schools, in churches. In my overall experience I've found driving uber pax pleasant. But we should all be vigilant.

If someone is going to ping a driver to steal their atm or cc cards, that criminal was going to do that anyway, whether it was a taxi, uber, or city or school bus driver. Targeting cards would seem a different sort of criminal, I'd think.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Uber tries to portray this business as a friend giving a friend a ride for loads of money. If that were the case then the taxi business would have a years long waiting list for drivers and uber would be a moot point, actually non-existent. Their disregard for the drivers makes me ill.
You have to realize that most Uber drivers, including myself, misused the "rideshare" concept as using our personal vehicles as a source of income as a *********. And that's what Uber was, and still is, relying on.

I knew upfront it was a temporary full-time gig for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to always say "you can't create cab business, either somebody needs a ride and can pay for it or take the bus". Well I was wrong. But I didn't anticipate someone coming along and offering that ride for 50% off. Now thatwill create some business. And a lot of people are going to get screwed in the process. Welcome to uber.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree that the 2 businesses are close to the same.

You are forgetting that anyone can call a cab. Only someone with a smart phone and proper payment attached can summon an uber. I guarantee that the person that caused you harm did not give you his cell phone number and credit card number before he did something.

Also cabs can do street hails. Those are 2 random ways an anonymous person with bad intentions can get inside a cab to do bad things. Uber is still dangerous but a cab is more dangerous.

Steeling a credit card doesn't guarantee any money. Cabs have to carry cash to give change.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts