Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I only hope that we see what the fare is paid by the customer, and this isn't some way to hide it from the drivers. I just don't trust Uber, and I'm sure they are charging the customer more and keeping the extra for themselves. I hat that Uber has made me this cynical.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I only hope that we see what the fare is paid by the customer, and this isn't some way to hide it from the drivers. I just don't trust Uber, and I'm sure they are charging the customer more and keeping the extra for themselves. I hat that Uber has made me this cynical.
Before the passenger leaves your car, you can ask what fare their app is showing, after telling them what yours is showing. Say to them that you're asking for "quality control reasons". I do this from time to time. Passengers never complain, and both amounts have always jibed. (Lyft only)

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you read the WSJ article in its entirety, it notes the passenger will have to enter the destination to get the final fare...a PLUS FOR DRIVERS!

Now, Uncle gUBER, gives us the tip option....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Couldn't read the whole article because I'm not a subscriber....but without knowing more, it sounds like they might be playing with fire. "Upfront pricing" is what they use with Pool, and they're betting on the fact that the ride becomes a matched pool ride in order to offset any potential shortage from their pre-ride quote due to things like traffic or an slightly different route (ever wondered why Pool is less per minute..it's the time component of the ride that's the most difficult thing for the software to account for...distance is pretty easy ;)). But if they're going to this same thing with X rides, they're either going to have to inflate their quotes a bit to make up for any potential loss due to ride variables, or risk losing some $$$ on rides that are misquoted. Since we're still paid based on the base/time/distance scale, it shouldn't affect us unless of course we can no longer see the surge zones on the map or in the ride waybill.

No idea how they're thinking, but not letting us see the surge zones anymore seems a bit counter-productive....part of the purpose of surge is to put cars in places where they need demand.....if there's no inflated pricing....what's the motivation to move or stay in a certain area?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Couldn't read the whole article because I'm not a subscriber....but without knowing more, it sounds like they might be playing with fire. "Upfront pricing" is what they use with Pool, and they're betting on the fact that the ride becomes a matched pool ride in order to offset any potential shortage from their pre-ride quote due to things like traffic or an slightly different route (ever wondered why Pool is less per minute..it's the time component of the ride that's the most difficult thing for the software to account for...distance is pretty easy ;)). But if they're going to this same thing with X rides, they're either going to have to inflate their quotes a bit to make up for any potential loss due to ride variables, or risk losing some $$$ on rides that are misquoted. Since we're still paid based on the base/time/distance scale, it shouldn't affect us unless of course we can no longer see the surge zones on the map or in the ride waybill.

No idea how they're thinking, but not letting us see the surge zones anymore seems a bit counter-productive....part of the purpose of surge is to put cars in places where they need demand.....if there's no inflated pricing....what's the motivation to move or stay in a certain area?
The WSJ article did say drivers would still be able to see the surge area in order to move to the demand.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hmmm......wonder what the rider reaction will be to that one? Seems like it would be harder to play the game of logging off and waiting for the surge to die before logging back in and ordering a ride?

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Seems like it would be harder to play the game of logging off and waiting for the surge to die before logging back in and ordering a ride?

Thank god.. Younglings are notorious for pulling this crap.. Happen's ALL the time during higher than normal surge zone's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts