Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Have fun reading up on the pulse of the industry

http://www.taxinews.com/
"Uber spokesperson Susie Heath told the Toronto Star...it's up to the driver to collect and remit HST, but that Uber pays all other applicable taxes."

...but if you ask Uber about collecting HST from riders they flat-out say drivers are prohibited from collecting money from the rider outside of the app. Uber double-talk. I gotta side with the taxi guys on the HST issue. It's not fair...for anyone.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
He stated uber fares are 25%-30% less than taxis in Mississauga. That's inaccurate information, it is actually 40%+ less. Mississauga is all pools too, another 10%. Oh yea and then the tip.

·
Registered
805 Posts
"Uber spokesperson Susie Heath told the Toronto Star...it's up to the driver to collect and remit HST, but that Uber pays all other applicable taxes."

...but if you ask Uber about collecting HST from riders they flat-out say drivers are prohibited from collecting money from the rider outside of the app. Uber double-talk. I gotta side with the taxi guys on the HST issue. It's not fair...for anyone.
Completely agree and cant wait for the day Uber gets taken to court by CRA and forced to charge it. Quebec was able to do it, sure as CRA can do it.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Totally agree with them on HST. Pax should pay it, not drivers.
From somewhere on an Ontario/Canada government web page I read, taxi fare included HST. Taxi drivers have to registered a HST account and remit HST portion of the fare to CRA. I am not a cabbie nor know someone who is a cabbie, so, take my comment with a grain of salt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts