Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Brooklyn, Bronx, Harlem and Queens, there are thumbs out and people flagging me down left and right. I never stopped though - not out of fear - but just because I don't actually know what to charge them! Two weeks ago, I was Uber-hailed to a grocery store and wrong pax got in. These pax were waiting for 777-7777 car. I drove them 5 minutes... maybe 2 miles. Arrived. "How much?" I said: "just give me whatever." They gave me $15. I acted normal while he was in the car but on my way home, I was like WTF ?!!

BELOW IS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY

This morning, I was at this place and a security guard walked up and asked "This is a taxi, right?"

Me: Yes. Why?

Security Guard: There's this girl that's stranded and she needs a ride. It's not far from here.

Me: What do you call 'far'?

Security Guard: <location given>

Me: I wasn't actually going to start my work day this early in the morning, but I will take her.

Security Guard: "follow me"

<security guard shows girl into the car and she gives me the address>

12 minutes later we arrive

Passenger: "How much?"

Me: $8

< pax looks at me like I just used bad language >

Me: "What? Is that too much? It's the minimum fare around NYC"

Passenger: "No. That's mad cheap. They be charging a lot more."

Me: Well, this is the minimum. The security guard said you were stranded so I'm not trying to take advantage of you. I'm just glad you're home safely.

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

1. Street hails seem to pay a lot more than Uber e-hails. Is the temptation worth it ? I see FHV vehicles stopping all the time for these people. These people live in poor neighborhoods and are unlikely to have credit cards for Uber/Lyft etc. Yellow abandons these areas. SHL (green taxi) are rarely in these areas.
  2. How much do FHV drivers charge these folks?

Seeking responses that do not attempt to marginalize poor people who live disadvantaged lives. We're all basically one legislative action to block Uber/Lyft away from being just as poor as them.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a lottt of tlc officers in bk and bx too.. yea they pay waaayyy more CASH and most tip but make sure you save half so you can pay the ticket lol
Wow! I'm somehow guessing that at 5 AM, in a seedy neighborhood of the Bronx these are not TLC officers. Those guys make a lot of money and I'm sure they dress decently. The people I'm talking about are like guys walking the street with their lady and people dressed in a way that say's "I'm not a TLC Enforcement Agent".

·
Registered
978 Posts
Wow! I'm somehow guessing that at 5 AM, in a seedy neighborhood of the Bronx these are not TLC officers. Those guys make a lot of money and I'm sure they dress decently. The people I'm talking about are like guys walking the street with their lady and people dressed in a way that say's "I'm not a TLC Enforcement Agent".
1- you are a bit naive. There are still many livery bases in those neighborhoods that will pick them up, so they do have options. He reason some of them don't get picked up is because there is a high chance that once you get to destination they will stiff you on the fare. Or even worse rob you.
2- what do TLC agents working undercover dress like? They come in all races shapes genders.
3- keep this in mind. The first ticket is 750. The second is 1500. Third time is a 3 year automatic suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Drivers seem to get killed in the bronx more often.canarsie aint bad in the mornings for churning out rides.i find myself on remsen an pa ave often enough.its not bad in bk.the bronx tho.fk that.

Bay ridge sux.better off in park slope

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
In Brooklyn, Bronx, Harlem and Queens, there are thumbs out and people flagging me down left and right. I never stopped though - not out of fear - but just because I don't actually know what to charge them! Two weeks ago, I was Uber-hailed to a grocery store and wrong pax got in. These pax were waiting for 777-7777 car. I drove them 5 minutes... maybe 2 miles. Arrived. "How much?" I said: "just give me whatever." They gave me $15. I acted normal while he was in the car but on my way home, I was like WTF ?!!

BELOW IS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY

This morning, I was at this place and a security guard walked up and asked "This is a taxi, right?"

Me: Yes. Why?

Security Guard: There's this girl that's stranded and she needs a ride. It's not far from here.

Me: What do you call 'far'?

Security Guard: <location given>

Me: I wasn't actually going to start my work day this early in the morning, but I will take her.

Security Guard: "follow me"

<security guard shows girl into the car and she gives me the address>

12 minutes later we arrive

Passenger: "How much?"

Me: $8

< pax looks at me like I just used bad language >

Me: "What? Is that too much? It's the minimum fare around NYC"

Passenger: "No. That's mad cheap. They be charging a lot more."

Me: Well, this is the minimum. The security guard said you were stranded so I'm not trying to take advantage of you. I'm just glad you're home safely.

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

1. Street hails seem to pay a lot more than Uber e-hails. Is the temptation worth it ? I see FHV vehicles stopping all the time for these people. These people live in poor neighborhoods and are unlikely to have credit cards for Uber/Lyft etc. Yellow abandons these areas. SHL (green taxi) are rarely in these areas.
  2. How much do FHV drivers charge these folks?

Seeking responses that do not attempt to marginalize poor people who live disadvantaged lives. We're all basically one legislative action to block Uber/Lyft away from being just as poor as them.
I'm not in NY but I do street hails all the time, anytime I can I do them.

Example: 2:30am bar close rush, surge at like 3x but chances of a min fare getting me $12 while surge dies are not good chances. Now when a guy walks up to my window and hands me $20 I cancel on my pax and he gets in. Once I get a destination out of him it's either $20 or more bucks(tip included) and if he's out of cash quick ATM stop or get out no return of original $20 either.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm in a different market but I picked up a lot of street hails or people at markets trying to get home after shopping. A $3.00 uber ride is $5.00 to $7.00 and a $7.00 ride is about $10.00 to $12.00 dollars, Drivers been doing that for years before rideshare companies ever existed....It's illegal but people are doing it in my market every day.

Doing street hail is better now than picking up stuck-up pax going nowhere for minimum fare & of course no tip
Sticking it to uber and there fees and commission rates.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
It is a profiling issue. Fhvs dont really have to deal with it since the apps.

I notice older drivers parking at 3 am friday sat.they profile drunk people. I will learn from them.

There is the guidebook and the unwritten guidebook.unwritten guidebook makes people mad, so dont write down unwritten pages ya dig?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.