Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Final Update: The check I received was the first payment for the repair, not for my deductible, so I still have to pay for the deductible.

Update: Today I received a check in the mail covering the $1,000 deductible. Sorry that it took so long to post this update, I've been busy all day.

I started driving for Uber not too long ago. I didn't have a car of my own, so I signed up for the Xchange Leasing Program. I intended to drive everyday, and everything was actually going well for me until two weeks ago. It was a slow night, and I wasn't getting many pings. I figured I would head home, while remaining online to see if I could catch a few customers. I picked up a passenger from a bar who sat in the backseat. He was a pretty cool guy; had a long day and went out to have a few drinks to get his mind off of things. We were in the middle of a conversation when a lone deer ran across the intersection and I hit it. I quickly pulled over to the side, after loudly cursing, and explained to my passenger that I hit a deer.

I get out of the car, both surprised and frustrated with my bad luck, and checked out the front of my car. My heart sank and I could do nothing but stare at the damage that was done. The hood of my car was crunched up, with the headlights cracked.

The picture above was taken by my passenger with me standing in the background. Those glowing eyes you see is the deer, that was still alive. It's hind legs were broken sideways sticking out like wings. Its ribs broke through its skin, and it was leaking something incredibly funky. We contacted the police, and watched in amazement as the deer dragged its body in a feeble attempt to escape.

My passenger wasn't upset or even slightly bothered by the inconvenience; he wanted to take the deer home to eat it. Unfortunately, when the cops arrived, they informed him that he couldn't do that because animal control was going to take it. The police checked out the area, determined that I did nothing wrong, and told us we could go home while they wait for animal control. I took the passenger to his home, and drove myself home.

I contacted Uber and got in contact with their insurance. I was informed that Uber's insurance uses the information of my personal insurance to determine if I have collision damage on my policy. After they verified that I, in fact, had collision damage coverage, I was informed that I would have to pay a $1000 deductible. I don't have the money for that; I had such a hard time finding work and (sadly) Uber was my means of getting myself back on my feet.

With my car out of commission, I have to worry about late payments for my lease, car insurance, and a deductible that I have no money for. it sucks seeing all these drivers experiencing surges of up to x5 over Halloween weekend and I'm missing out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just drive it like that. Tell customers Uber refuses to repair your vehicle.
Let people know how Uber treats their drivers.
Oh, and poor deer.
I dropped the car off at a collision repair shop about two weeks ago. There was more damage under the hood, so it wasn't just cosmetic. That total cost is $6000. I wouldn't risk driving it like that, because I'm paranoid. Passengers have no problem commenting on the condition of a car, and I also have a theory that some passengers are Uber employees acting as customers.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Get the estimate for $6,000 and tell the body shop if they want the job they will need to do it for the $5,000 that is actually available. This is done all the time.
You better plan on calling every body shop and get it in writing th at they will waive your deductible. Many will claim to "work with you" then force you to pay the deductible.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You may hear from the deer's attorney as well.
Injuries. Lost wages. Reindeer are the most litigious.
They've got that "santa needs me" complex. Bunch of Primadonnas.
Since they can fly, there's no legitimate reason why they should even
be on the road at night. Most of those deer are just scammers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deer cause more injuries and property damage than all of the so called "predatory" animals combined. You can make that 1k deductible back in a couple weeks if you get after it.
None of the body shops in my area were willing to allow me to make payments to pay off the deductible. Some of them used to offer a program like that, but stopped after most customers didn't pay.

I have to make payments to Xchange Leasing every week, on top of paying the deductible. You say I can make the deductible back in a couple of weeks, but I still need to make up for lost time to cover my lease, my other bills, and other expenses...and that's if the car actually gets finished before Xchange Leasing takes the car. Their rule is that drivers are given a grace period of 21 days before they repossess the car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You better plan on calling every body shop and get it in writing th at they will waive your deductible. Many will claim to "work with you" then force you to pay the deductible.
I agree; get deductible waiver in writing. I have a friend that does body work so I don't have this issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dropped the car off at a collision repair shop about two weeks ago. There was more damage under the hood, so it wasn't just cosmetic. That total cost is $6000. I wouldn't risk driving it like that, because I'm paranoid. Passengers have no problem commenting on the condition of a car, and I also have a theory that some passengers are Uber employees acting as customers.
Yes, I pick up Uber employees all the time. So I guess my advice to tell customers how bad Uber treats their drivers should be ignored. It was meant in jest. Sorry to hear about your vehicle. I hit a deer that ran in front of me at dusk. Was able to apply some breaks, but still took out my headlight, and grill on van. Always paranoid because there are a lot of deer around here. I make it a point to honk my horn to scare them. Otherwise, they just stare into the headlights. Somebody had to say it...haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I pick up Uber employees all the time. So I guess my advice to tell customers how bad Uber treats their drivers should be ignored. It was meant in jest. Sorry to hear about your vehicle. I hit a deer that ran in front of me at dusk. Was able to apply some breaks, but still took out my headlight, and grill on van. Always paranoid because there are a lot of deer around here. I make it a point to honk my horn to scare them. Otherwise, they just stare into the headlights. Somebody had to say it...haha
Sorry, I read and replied to your comment late at night and didn't realize you were joking due to me being tired.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Just drive it like that. Tell customers Uber refuses to repair your vehicle.
Let people know how Uber treats their drivers.
Oh, and poor deer.
Well he would risk get deactivating since Uber only allows minor cosmetic damage and he already reported the accident to them.

Deer cause more injuries and property damage than all of the so called "predatory" animals combined. You can make that 1k deductible back in a couple weeks if you get after it.
Yes hitting a deer is almost as bad as crashing into a wall. Hopefully he could make the deductible back but most people with Xchange leases are doing slightly better than breaking even.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.