Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This agent is telling me if the app is on and I am not in a ride uber won't cover a wreck my fault. True or false?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thats true in most markets except California and a few others. Not sure the period one liability coverage has gone nationwide. Someone correct me if i missed something.

And True as long as you tell the truth. Most driver just plan to lie that the app was on. No passenger to rat them out.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thats true in most markets except California and a few others. Not sure the period one liability coverage has gone nationwide. Someone correct me if i missed something.

And True as long as you tell the truth. Most driver just plan to lie that the app was on. No passenger to rat them out.
I'm starting to see Uber drivers in my town running with magnetic signs on the door, window etc...... That would make it tough to conceal what they were doing.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Yea well that is not smart. Why they doing that? they hoping for street hails?
One sign says "Penn State Uber Driver 409 For a ride download app"

I get the premise, they may wind up getting attention from places they hadn't thought of. Such signs will make it easier for people like the PUC to spot them. The biggest issue would be insurance. Even if they have insurance that is OK with what they are doing....... Such a sign could make it tougher for them to prove they weren't working at the time of an accident should it be in their favor to do so.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to this diagram drivers are insured before accepting a ride as long as thee app is on so I am going with false. I came out of hiding today and switch from Geico to commercial Geico. My yearly cost only went up by about $200. The fact that the cost only increased by a small amount leads me I might be right. There is no significant increased risk to my insurance company. I have my app on most of the time.

https://www.policygenius.com/blog/l..._insurance_coverage_infographic_blog_7.22.png

·
Registered
602 Posts

The first thing an insurance company does when they get a claim is try to find a reason NOT to pay it. They will want verification from a source other than the drivers word. Come on smarten up guy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
According to this diagram drivers are insured before accepting a ride as long as thee app is on so I am going with false. I came out of hiding today and switch from Geico to commercial Geico. My yearly cost only went up by about $200. The fact that the cost only increased by a small amount leads me I might be right. There is no significant increased risk to my insurance company. I have my app on most of the time.

https://www.policygenius.com/blog/l..._insurance_coverage_infographic_blog_7.22.png

You better speak live to an agent. That's not what I have found it to be. From the time Uber matches you to a rider to the time your rider gets out you are in Uber,s insurance, which is liability insurance only! If your in an accident during either of these periods your on your own for your vehicle repair. App off or on but no Uber rider match or rider your on your own insurance. Better check your insurance is for both liability and collision, I doubt it for an addition $ 200 a year.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
http://txlege.texastribune.org/84/bills/HB1733/
I read the text of this. Who pays for the "adequate TNC insurance"?

"The Governor of Texas also signed HB 1733 which addresses insurance for drivers of transportation network companies (TNC) such as Uber and Lyft. The bill sets out insurance requirements for vehicles used in a TNC and requires claims payments for repairs of vehicles used in a TNC operation be paid to the repair facility directly or to the owner and lienholder jointly. HB 1733 goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2016."
http://www.cornerstoneleague.coop/t...lls_benefitting_credit_unions_vetoes_one.html

superjtrdr said:
This agent is telling me if the app is on and I am not in a ride uber won't cover a wreck my fault. True or false?
True. You are under personal insurance.

·
Registered
602 Posts
http://txlege.texastribune.org/84/bills/HB1733/
I read the text of this. Who pays for the "adequate TNC insurance"?

"The Governor of Texas also signed HB 1733 which addresses insurance for drivers of transportation network companies (TNC) such as Uber and Lyft. The bill sets out insurance requirements for vehicles used in a TNC and requires claims payments for repairs of vehicles used in a TNC operation be paid to the repair facility directly or to the owner and lienholder jointly. HB 1733 goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2016."
http://www.cornerstoneleague.coop/t...lls_benefitting_credit_unions_vetoes_one.html

True. You are under personal insurance.
You are only on Uber's insurance from the time Uber matches you to a rider and your on your way to pick them up and until the rider leaves your car and you end the trip. At any other point you are on your personal insurance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
turbovator said:
You are only on Uber's insurance from the time Uber matches you to a rider and your on your way to pick them up and until the rider leaves your car and you end the trip. At any other point you are on your personal insurance.
Hey Jersey!
I am not wet behind the ears!

This is Texas where on Jan 1, 2016 all Texas TNC drivers must carry adequate insurance. That means either the drivers pay for a commercial policy across the board or Uber pays. I ask "who"? In the end it will be the driver's responsibility.

Not JM2cW - FACT!

·
Registered
857 Posts
In some markets (like Minneapolis) you have to put the uber trade on your car. a U in the lower right hand corner of your windshield (never mind the law about not putting crap on your windshield I guess) and "UBER" on the right side of your rear window.

Not sure what happens if you don't. but I see both as a sure fire way to get your car keyed if your not careful.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts

Insured for liability.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Hey Jersey!
I am not wet behind the ears!

This is Texas where on Jan 1, 2016 all Texas TNC drivers must carry adequate insurance. That means either the drivers pay for a commercial policy across the board or Uber pays. I ask "who"? In the end it will be the driver's responsibility.

Not JM2cW - FACT!
LIABILITY! Houston has made it that Uber must cover even if the drivers insurance doesn't. But that's the pax and other people. Not the driver's car. Just as you can drive around Texas with only liability coverage you can with Uber also. But if you cause the wreck it won't cover your car. Same if an uninsured driver hits you.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
who pays for the insurance, Uber or the driver.
Driver ... expecting Uber to pay for the required insurance is like expecting them to pay for gas ... or pay sustainable fares ... never gonna happen
I had Commercial Insurance for the first 6 months of driving because I didn't want to take the risk of driving in the "gap". However, since I served 10 years USAF ... as soon as USAA offered Ride Share Gap insurance in Texas ... I dropped commercial insurance like a hot potato ... and will carry USAA gap insurance until I stop driving for Uber (which could be soon, if they keep lowering the fares). That said, USAA Gap Coverage is only $9/mo; whereas commercial insurance from Progressive was $430/mo.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Fuzzy,
How long have you seen me on this board regularly? For a month. I know how the insurance works as I ran it by MY insurance agent.

On January 1, 2016 (next year) a new Texas law goes into effect that all TNC drivers in the state must carry adequate insurance coverage while on the app. This has nothing to do with the City of Houston ordinance except Hstn is located in the State of Texas.

Do I now make myself clear? Go to my first post and read the text of Texas HB1733 Governor Abbot signed into law. Then let me know who pays for the insurance, Uber or the driver.

(Mutter, mutter, mutter) Nothing more aggravating than someone who does not read (comprehend) what is typed prior to one post! (mutter, mutter, mutter.) ;)
It is not 2016 yet in case you haven't noticed.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
In some markets (like Minneapolis) you have to put the uber trade on your car. a U in the lower right hand corner of your windshield (never mind the law about not putting crap on your windshield I guess) and "UBER" on the right side of your rear window.
Interesting. Can the "UBER" be removed from the back window when you are not working? I would not want it there when I am not working.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts