Here is the fine print
Skip to main content
BECOME A DRIVER
GET THE APP
BECOME A DRIVER
Driving with uberWAV
Wheelchair accessible vehicles
For many people in the GTA, traveling even short distances can be very difficult. With uberWAV, we're committed to increasing the affordability, safety and reliability options for people with accessibility needs. Learn more about our wheelchair accessible vehicle option.
How it works
Lease a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV)
We've partnered with JPLI, a local leasing company that will provide WAVs on a flexible lease you can end at any time and gives you unlimited kilometers so you can drive with Uber as much as you want. Learn more about leasing below.
Education on uberWAV
Complete an in-person course that will teach you everything you need to know about safely driving people with accessibility needs.
Hit the road
Once you're ready to start, go online! You'll receive uberX requests (as you do today) but also uberWAV requests (inside of the City of Toronto). Although riders pay the same amount for uberX and uberWAV, your earnings will differ with each.
Attend an info session
Join us at an in-person info session to learn more. We'll answer any questions you have and give you more information about uberWAV.
Come to an info session on June 14 to learn more
Apply for the lease
Ready to get started? The first step is to fill out a lease application. After that, we'll contact you to help you get the training required so you know everything you need to before hitting the road with uberWAV.
Note: Completing the lease application does NOT indicate your commitment
Your lease summary
Overview of terms
- Lease payment are approx. $220 per week*
- First lease payment due when the vehicle is picked up
- Unlimited kilometers
- Lease initiation fee is $100
- Security deposit is $300
- Lease can be ended and returned to JPLI with no further obligations ($300 return fee for early termination and charges for any additional wear and tear)
- Leaseholder (lessee) is responsible for gas, personal insurance policy and general maintenance
- No vehicle buyout option at the end of the lease
Returning a leased vehicle
If you decide that driving with uberWAV is no longer for you, no problem. You can return the vehicle anytime with no further obligation.
However, if you return the vehicle before the end of the lease period, you'll be asked to pay a $300 as well as any additional wear and tear on the vehicle.
Earnings with uberWAV
- $150 per week for every week you complete 50 trips¹
- $20 per uberWAV trip completed in addition to the trip fare²
- Lower service fee on all trips:
Pay only a 15% (keep 85% of the fare) on UberX trips³
0% service fee (keep 100% of the fare) on uberWAV trips
- One-time promotions⁴: $100 for your first trip after WAV
- $218.10 per week WAV vehicle lease payment
- WAV education & certification ($113 if taken through Uber arranged program)
- $100 lease initiation
- $300 disposition fee (returning the WAV early)
- Gas: depends on how much you're driving
- Insurance: varies by driver; ask your insurance company for a quote
How uberWAV and uberX differ
- Only vehicle capable of taking a passenger who uses a motorized wheelchair
- Requires online / in-class certification
- Drivers are sent uberX and uberWAV trips (no uberPOOL or uberXL trips)
- uberWAV riders will require assistance and need to be secured in the vehicle (typically needing more time for their journey)
- Any 4-door, 2010 or newer vehicle
- Does not require any certification
- Drivers receive uberX and uberPOOL trips (or uberX and uberXL trips)
- uberX riders typically require minimal or no driver assistance
Frequently asked questions
What insurance do I need?
- While on trips or on route to pick-up, you, your rider and your vehicle will be covered by Uber's Intact insurance policy. For all other times, the lease requires a personal insurance policy with at least $2 million. You should follow the same guidelines as for insuring any vehicle to cover you while you're not driving with Uber. Liability insurance is required by law in Ontario, collision and comprehensive can be added at your discretion. While not legally required, it is highly recommended that you add these protections to your policy. Speak to an insurance advisor for more information.
- Note: If you do not have collision and comprehensive coverage on your personal policy, the Intact policy that covers you while you're on trips, will not include these either.
- The lease is for 5 years but you can exit the lease anytime with a $300 disposition fee + payment towards any excess wear and tear.
- Yes, uberWAV drivers must complete a certified course for driving an accessible vehicle. You're welcome to arrange your own training or come to one of our arranged sessions. Once you decide you're interested and qualify for the lease, we'll let you know when the next course is taking place. The training will be 4-5 hours and include both in-class/online portion as well as a hands-on portion where you practice fastening a wheelchair into a vehicle.
- The experience of receiving a request through the Uber app, makes uberWAV similar to uberX. It's different in that it's a transportation option for people with mobility challenges, who aren't able to ride in a regular sedan, SUV or minivan.
- You must have completed 200 trips on the UberX platform with a rating above 4.7. As well you must complete a WAV driver certification course (approx. 4h in length).
- The vehicle may vary over time but currently is a 2016 Dodge Caravan that has been modified with a side-entry wheelchair ramp. That is, its a bit longer than a normal minivan to allow room for a wheelchair to enter. The middle row of seats has been removed to make room for a wheelchair. The front seats and back row remain unchanged.
- Join us at an info session! We'll help answer any questions you may have about uberWAV, leasing, earnings, etc. Let us know you're interested in attending one below and we'll let you know when the next one is.
¹ To qualify, driver must be a verified WAV driver and complete 50 trips in a qualifying wheelchair accessible vehicle within one week (Mon 3am - Mon 3am).
² Valid for uberWAV trips completed between May 26, 2017 and November 26, 2017
³ Valid for trips completed in a WAV by a verified WAV driver before November 26, 2017
⁴ To qualify, driver must complete their first uberWAV trip between May 26, 2017 and November 26, 2017
Ready to make money? Sign up and start drivingInstagram