Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would you kill/harm yourself ... because you did not want to break the law?
I don't care what the law says ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
You need to bone up on ADA (American with Disabilities Act). If it is an ADA passenger, and the passenger has either a dog or miniature horse (yes, a min horse) and claims it is a a Service Animal, you are required by Federal Law to transport the passenger. Period.

·
Premium Member
9,400 Posts
Not this again!! Please do a search on ADA or dog or disability on this board and see the 18 threads that have already beaten this to death.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
As you approach the PAX with the seeing eye dog, turn off your engine and coast to a stop. Wait silently for five minutes, cancel, passenger no show, collect five dollars.

·
Premium Member
9,400 Posts
As you approach the PAX with the seeing eye dog, turn off your engine and coast to a stop. Wait silently for five minutes, cancel, passenger no show, collect five dollars.
Classic!! And if you throw some dog treats out the window in the opposite direction, so much the better!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unfortunately you can die because of your allergy and the law don't give a shit. They want to protect the pal with dissapointed disabilities. If you die they will be like , oh wells that's one less person against us.. lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
False...
It is Lyft's policy that passengers with service animals should be reasonably accommodated by drivers on the Lyft platform. Refusing a service animal is a violation of Lyft's Terms of Service and will result in the immediate deactivation of your driver status.

Should you have a legitimate, medically documented reason, you must contact Lyft's Critical Response Line immediately so we can speak with the passenger and to ensure that they are able to get where they need to go with their animal. Information on Lyft's Service Animal policy can be found at the following Help Center article: https://www.lyft.com/drive/help/article/1590274. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with this policy moving forward.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
L
False...
It is Lyft's policy that passengers with service animals should be reasonably accommodated by drivers on the Lyft platform. Refusing a service animal is a violation of Lyft's Terms of Service and will result in the immediate deactivation of your driver status.

Should you have a legitimate, medically documented reason, you must contact Lyft's Critical Response Line immediately so we can speak with the passenger and to ensure that they are able to get where they need to go with their animal. Information on Lyft's Service Animal policy can be found at the following Help Center article: https://www.lyft.com/drive/help/article/1590274. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with this policy moving forward.
Federal law trumps company policy. Lyft or Uber may have a policy of not dispatching people with allergies to pick people with service animals, but if you show up for a pick up, you are required by law to accept the rider and the service animal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very poor advice. Check other posts for what your legal requirements are.
Nope.. Your only required to make sure that there are accommodations for said rider. If you cannot provide this accommodation for the rider due to medical reasons you may contact your tnc to get another driver dispatched and release accountability from yourself. This is very obvious in the statement that Lyft provides. You can't just leave the passenger there and refuse the ride.. You have to provide accommodations. This may or may not be in your vehicle .

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Once again, if an independent contract shows up in his company vehicle (it's not a Lyft or Uber car maybe not their liability) and the driver denies access to that vehicle they are in violation of the ADA. I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with it; but that is a fact. A company policy to have a handicapped person wait on the curb for another car because an independent contractor refused a service animal leaves the owner of the company (the driver) open to a lawsuit. Shall I start posting links to some of the lawsuits brought forth? Now, if the allergic driver is excluded from receiving calls involving service animals, there would be no inconvenience to the rider and no ADA violation.
  • Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fine fine.. I honestly don't care since I'm not allergic to animals. I would expect Lyft knows what their talking about , but I also understand the c.y.a insurance your talking about

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Once again, if an independent contract shows up in his company vehicle (it's not a Lyft or Uber car maybe not their liability) and the driver denies access to that vehicle they are in violation of the ADA. I'm not saying it's right or that I agree with it; but that is a fact. A company policy to have a handicapped person wait on the curb for another car because an independent contractor refused a service animal leaves the owner of the company (the driver) open to a lawsuit. Shall I start posting links to some of the lawsuits brought forth? Now, if the allergic driver is excluded from receiving calls involving service animals, there would be no inconvenience to the rider and no ADA violation.
  • Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
The different room in our vehicle would be the trunk, or rear compartment of a minivan. Not sure that would cut it for a driver with an allergy. Why cannot Uber/ Lyft exclude drivers with documented allergies from receiving calls involving service animals? Possibly because riders are apparently not required to notify Uber/ Lyft that they are traveling with an animal?

·
Premium Member
9,400 Posts
The different room in our vehicle would be the trunk, or rear compartment of a minivan. Not sure that would cut it for a driver with an allergy. Why cannot Uber/ Lyft exclude drivers with documented allergies from receiving calls involving service animals? Possibly because riders are apparently not required to notify Uber/ Lyft that they are traveling with an animal?
You had to revive a dead thread with drivel? There are plenty of gripping threads out there already, the law is the law no matter how much you want it changed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts