Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after having a pretty decent night in the taxi, i drop off at the airport head out the north exit and hit the button to accept phone-in taxi calls, i get one from the Walmart a little ways north of the airport.

D$**$&-it oh well.. they can't all be winners, at that point i'ts too late to refuse it and i drive up to the Walmart, Pull around so i'm in front of the store,

There's a lady waiting outside with.. 2 shopping carts and... 5 children one of whom is less than 1 Years old.
I just know it's my customer, my info for the pickup says party of 3.

I crack the window say "are all these kids coming in this taxi now?" I ask

"Yes, open the trunk" she replies.

"Mam i can't take you, i'm calling dispatch to get you a bigger car" and I start to drive off. (about 5 seconds total for all of this)

She rams the back corner of my car with her shopping cart and i can see bits of plastic fly in the rear view. I feel the car shake and the thud of the impact.

Walmart securty Haulls A out to the front of the store... They called the cops before I had even had the chance to call dispatch..

Within 5 minutes the Orlando PD is on scene.

She starts to say that it was "An accident" and like 8 people line up to the tell the cop what they saw. This lady who did this is bent on trying to get the cop to give me a ticket for refusing to take her (and her 5 kids) while saying that the damage to the car was already there or was an accident (she tried both)

After arguing with her talking to witnesses ect.

All he asked me was if i was going to drive off and leave her because she had WAY too many children to ever safely put into my car.

"Yup" i reply.

"What is wrong with these people" is how he quietly replied that statement.

The company safety/insurance guy shows up, the damage was legit bad enough that he told me that he's seen less from actual car accidents, yet it hasn't been the first time that someone caused that much damage with a shopping cart, deliberately, for the exact same reason... Since it wasn't actually a car accident (destruction of property by someone else) the company is going to eat the cost of the repair and let legal try to sue her for the damages.

Because of witnesses (with absolutely no bias... AKA random bystanders)
She ended up getting arrested for misdemeanor criminal mischief, Another cop is babysitting her children for someone else to come pick up, and wally world carted her groceries to the refrigerated area to hold until someone came to pick up her kids.
  • Where the property damage is greater than $200 but less than $1,000, the offense is a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail.

And now i'm in the edge of the Walmart parking lot waiting for a tow truck because tail lights/turn signals are all FUBAR my vehicle isn't "Safe to drive"

So far 7 people have walked up asking for a ride and i have another 20-30 minutes to wait for the tow.

But the walmart manager got me a Hot cocoa from the McDonalds in the store so on the house... And i should be going home with $150-$160.

All in all a pretty good day...

·
25,459 Posts
I am assuming that taxis are exempt from the car seat law in Florida as they are in the Capital of Your Nation. The District of Columbia does allow children under the age of six to be held in the lap of an older person in a taxicab. I am guessing that either Florida law or Orlando law does not?

People do not like getting called on their nonsense. Considering the way in which she acted, I would not have wanted her as a customer, anyhow. She made your life miserable enough as it is, and you did not even haul her, I shudder to think what would have happened had you actually put her into the car and hauled her. At least when you rent, you can tell the company "Give me another one". I own mine, so if a customer trashes my car, I must eat it. I could sue, but trash like that usually is judgement-proof.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Wow, that sucks. This may be one of the few times being Uber may have the advantage. Being unmarked, we can drive by to assess before stopping. You are in a bright ass yellow car and are instantly noticed. All-in-all, another reason we all hate the Wal-Mart runs.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am assuming that taxis are exempt from the car seat law in Florida as they are in the Capital of Your Nation. The District of Columbia does allow children under the age of six to be held in the lap of an older person in a taxicab. I am guessing that either Florida law or Orlando law does not?

People do not like getting called on their nonsense. Considering the way in which she acted, I would not have wanted her as a customer, anyhow. She made your life miserable enough as it is, and you did not even haul her, I shudder to think what would have happened had you actually put her into the car and hauled her. At least when you rent, you can tell the company "Give me another one". I own mine, so if a customer trashes my car, I must eat it. I could sue, but trash like that usually is judgement-proof.
Florida has no exemptions for vehicles for hire when it comes to car seats/number of CHILDREN being in the car unbuckled. There's no penalty if i jam 4 adults in the back seat of the car, but 4 children and I get a ticket.

(4) It is unlawful for any person:
(a) To operate a motor vehicle in this state unless each passenger and the operator of the vehicle under the age of 18 years are restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device pursuant to s. 316.613, if applicable; or
(b) To operate a motor vehicle in this state unless the person is restrained by a safety belt.
(5) It is unlawful for any person 18 years of age or older to be a passenger in the front seat of a motor vehicle unless such person is restrained by a safety belt when the vehicle is in motion.

The law saws that all front seat passengers+ driver must be buckled in and everyone under the age of 18 in the back seat(s). I can hit 5 passengers if and only if, i squeeze 4 "ADULTS" in the back seat. This means i can jam four drunk hipsters in the back seat and i'm golden. However if children arn't buckled up that's where my ticket comes from. Same if they arn't in a car seat.

So the reality is that not only is there no excemption for children but in the back seat THERE ARE ONLY RULES COVERING CHILDREN.

The way they interpret the child seat laws is that the parents responsibility to have one and the drivers responsibility to refuse service. The passenger can request a vehicle with a car seat, but it can take lot longer to get a vehicle with one, especially outside of tourist areas here in Orlando. At the cabstands here in Orlando taxis can jump the line regularly by having a car seat, and for a bigger van having a car seat is practically mandatory.

There's an emergency loophole, but that only applies to car seats, and would theoretically allow one to drive someone to the ER without the proper child seats, but literally only to the E.R. (as pretty much any other emergency it would be safer to call the police then to get in a taxi.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Premium Member
62,198 Posts
So after having a pretty decent night in the taxi, i drop off at the airport head out the north exit and hit the button to accept phone-in taxi calls, i get one from the Walmart a little ways north of the airport.

D$**$&-it oh well.. they can't all be winners, at that point i'ts too late to refuse it and i drive up to the Walmart, Pull around so i'm in front of the store,

There's a lady waiting outside with.. 2 shopping carts and... 5 children one of whom is less than 1 Years old.
I just know it's my customer, my info for the pickup says party of 3.

I crack the window say "are all these kids coming in this taxi now?" I ask

"Yes, open the trunk" she replies.

"Mam i can't take you, i'm calling dispatch to get you a bigger car" and I start to drive off. (about 5 seconds total for all of this)

She rams the back corner of my car with her shopping cart and i can see bits of plastic fly in the rear view. I feel the car shake and the thud of the impact.

Walmart securty Haulls A out to the front of the store... They called the cops before I had even had the chance to call dispatch..

Within 5 minutes the Orlando PD is on scene.

She starts to say that it was "An accident" and like 8 people line up to the tell the cop what they saw. This lady who did this is bent on trying to get the cop to give me a ticket for refusing to take her (and her 5 kids) while saying that the damage to the car was already there or was an accident (she tried both)

After arguing with her talking to witnesses ect.

All he asked me was if i was going to drive off and leave her because she had WAY too many children to ever safely put into my car.

"Yup" i reply.

"What is wrong with these people" is how he quietly replied that statement.

The company safety/insurance guy shows up, the damage was legit bad enough that he told me that he's seen less from actual car accidents, yet it hasn't been the first time that someone caused that much damage with a shopping cart, deliberately, for the exact same reason... Since it wasn't actually a car accident (destruction of property by someone else) the company is going to eat the cost of the repair and let legal try to sue her for the damages.

Because of witnesses (with absolutely no bias... AKA random bystanders)
She ended up getting arrested for misdemeanor criminal mischief, Another cop is babysitting her children for someone else to come pick up, and wally world carted her groceries to the refrigerated area to hold until someone came to pick up her kids.
  • Where the property damage is greater than $200 but less than $1,000, the offense is a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail.

And now i'm in the edge of the Walmart parking lot waiting for a tow truck because tail lights/turn signals are all FUBAR my vehicle isn't "Safe to drive"

So far 7 people have walked up asking for a ride and i have another 20-30 minutes to wait for the tow.

But the walmart manager got me a Hot cocoa from the McDonalds in the store so on the house... And i should be going home with $150-$160.

All in all a pretty good day...
Jeeze.poor stupid woman. Wonder if she gets out before Christmas
Well,not just Uber passengers are entitled are they ?
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P.S.- Wal Mart cameras will have the whole thing on tape. Hope she learns before she gets the wrong one.
( Uber would have deactivated the driver. Driver would pay for damages out of pocket,since trip didn't start. Woman would have got free rides)
I actually don't know if uber would have... Attach a police report to your email they may not give her jack didly.

But ramming a car with a fully loaded down shopping cart.. Jeeze

When i was in high school i saw someone get put into the hospital and almost die from getting run into by someone with a shopping cart that was loaded down while they tried to bash their way out the door of a walmart with stolen goods (goods they had no intention of paying for).

3 broken ribs and a collapsed lung

I had to go in this afternoon to have a meeting with the safety manager for the company. Walmart apparently emailed him the security footage to give to the company lawyers.

Basically i was darned if i do darned if i don't in that whole situation. But at the end of the day the choice I made was the legally correct (and far less legally risky) choice so i won't face any consequences. Any fallout on her is on her.

And they suggested that i not go blabbing my mouth to the media or make my kind of statement if i wanted to keep my job, the basic standard. Walmart is also trying to keep it quiet so it's probobly going to get buried with 2 ginormacorps paying off the media.

Jeeze.poor stupid woman. Wonder if she gets out before Christmas
Well,not just Uber passengers are entitled are they ?
Merry Christmas.
It's misdemeanor, she's probobly already out. More than likely unless she's a career assaulter they will let her plea down to something less serious or drop the charges if they pay for the damage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow, that sucks. This may be one of the few times being Uber may have the advantage. Being unmarked, we can drive by to assess before stopping. You are in a bright ass yellow car and are instantly noticed. All-in-all, another reason we all hate the Wal-Mart runs.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
B. no carseats/booster seats for children under 5

I'm stuck with the fare once i hit accept before i know where i'm picking them up from without knowing where they are going (Unless they are going to the airport, the greyhound station or the Mega Bus station, even then i don't know which of the three they are going to). I can't just cancel on the passenger, i'm stuck with it.

But usually a walmart run in a cab pays out in the $4+ range 99% of the time. Compared to a 2.70 minimum with Uber it's not as catastrophic. Some people even tip if you help them carry in groceries to their door and help them load/unload, all in all it's one of the top reasons I dislike working dayshift ROFLS.

·
25,459 Posts
(Unless they are going to the airport, the greyhound station or the Mega Bus station, even then i don't know which of the three they are going to).

I can't just cancel on the passenger, i'm stuck with it.

But usually a walmart run in a cab pays out in the $4+ range 99% of the time. Compared to a 2.70 minimum with Uber it's not as catastrophic.
What does it do? Show you a suitcase icon or something? (I am asking out of curiosity, only---I just want to know)

Bitter experience has taught the cab companies that cherry picking can result in certain trips' not being covered. I have seen only one cab company where cherry picking actually works: my current. If one driver does not accept a job, another one will. Almost all the trips end up being covered. This is the case and was the case even before Uber. Any other company, if one driver would not accept a trip, he faced sanctions from Company Management because cherry picking did result in trips' not being covered. Word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertising. Leave one customer stranded, he tells five who each tell five more. Another problem with the dispatch business here was that in many cases, a customer never got a cab when he did call. Bitter experience, here, at least, taught us that after a certain time, the customer simply leaves by another means. If we waste a driver's time chasing calls where nobody is there, he hits the street and more calls go uncovered. Thus, we used to cancel calls unilaterally after a certain period of time (there were, of course, exceptions for regulars or voucher account customers). Uber addresses that by showing the customer where the vehicles are. If the customer opens the application and sees no vehicles, he knows to try something else. Sadly for the cab companies, if we told the customer when he called that there was nothing available, we got into trouble with the regulators, got sued, or both. If an application tells a customer that, nothing happens either to it or its provider. Double standard.

I do not know the Orlando market, but here, in the City, at least, the funny thing is that the short trips pay. In fact, you are better off running a bunch of short and mediocre trips than one long one. In the suburbs, the opposite applies. The short trips are no good. You can run a bunch of short trips and if you count your money at the end of the hour, you do not have much. I did hack in the suburbs before working in the City, so I noticed this. Do the short trips pay in Orlando?

Before 2008, when we had Zones and not meters, the grocery store jobs often were pretty good. Most of the grocery stores were near a zone line, so often you would pick up a short trip that went for two zones. The short two zoners were the best trips that there were, especially if you picked up two or more people.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
In Orlando , Walmart runs are rarely good. About $6 everytime.

That said , MT4, I would have taken them. I don't care at all if passengers overload themselves, and if they end up killing their own kids, too bad. I also help with the groceries , but not out of any love for the unwashed. I want it over as quickly as possible .

The only run I've come close to refusing was a run where I picked up a section 8 mama with her 5 toddlers. One toddler was bumbling around in his diapers and this mama started slapping the crap out of him. She called him a "motherslotter and a F----T" while all the while beating his face in. Most traumatic laundry run ever.

I considered getting out of the cab and mule kicking her straight in the stomach.

Anyway.... I digress...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts