Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I apologize for my poor English, please bear with me.

I drive a tlc vehicle(uber, juno...)

Last night I was in Brooklyn on Dekalb avenue with no passengers and suddenly (literally, out of nothing, no previous reasons, no road rage issue related to me) some old white lincoln tlc squeezed his car between my car and the parked cars (there was no lanes to pass , it could be the bike lane that he was trying to pass me on) , going fast and side swiped my Camry (honestly, not a big deal, just a scratched mirror and left fender scratch and some scratches on my driver door...)

I did not know what damage he did so I wanted to make him stop. I did everything I could to make him stop. I did honk my horn, lit my brights enough, yelled at him to pull over. He did not stop. After 5-6 blocks. He pulled up to this Brooklyn hospital. I said to myself " oh, maybe he was in a rush for some emergency". But no, his riders were not in a rush. He did not even have his hazards on.

I pulled up behind his car and got out to talk to him and see the damage he made and talk about it. After his riders left, he did not even want to wait for me. I told him to stop and lets see what you did to my car. He wanted to runaway. He said that I do not have a right to stop him and told me to call the cops. I said okay, but I need your license plate so I will take a picture of your license plate. I went to the front of the white tlc cab and as I was trying to take a picture, I was right in front of the car, he just drove his car (not slowly, but fast) and even though I jumped to the side to prevent him hitting me, he did hit me and I ended up going down on my right side of my body in a puddle. My right hand bled a little bit and I have scratches on my wrist and my right side hurt a bit.

Luckily I had a blurry picture of the license plate. I called the cops, told them what had happened.

They were thinking if they should call it an "assault" or just a traffic accident thing. They asked me if I am good or not. I was bleeding insignificantly and my arm and body hurt a bit and I told them that. I never had this kind of thing happened in my life before. I did not know what to do or say but is this my responsibility ? They said I could wait whole night there if I wanted them to do call it as "assault".

They ended up writing down an accident report for the damage in my car. I could not care less about it at that moment. The driver tried to hurt me deliberately and also he ran off and left the scene. 3-4 different crimes in 5 minutes. Cops said the driver is going to be found and will be arrested for "leaving the scene". They are not going to do anything about running me over.

I woke up this morning and I feel some back pain. Probably related to the fall when he hit me.

Do I need to be fatally wounded for them to do something about this ? I do not think so.

What do you guys think ? Should I do something about it or just leave it at it? How does this work ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
No, you need to report that as an assault! That's very serious when someone tries to run you over with a car. A VERY SERIOUS CRIME! It doesn't matter how badly you were hurt (or even if you were hurt at all), the fact that he even tried is a serious crime. But since you were actually hurt, it's even more serious.

And how could you not care about the damage to your car. It's probably a couple of thousand dollars in damage. Wait until you try to get it fixed. Or until you try to sell the car and they knock $3,000 off the value.

You should have tried to photograph his license plate before talking to him. Anyway, I'm glad you stopped him and called the cops. A guy like that really needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an accident report. He is gonna pay for that.

I was not sure what to do with the assault part. Still thinking over it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Oh my gosh. Where do I start? He literally tried a hit and run on you. Assault does not begin to cover it. If you are feeling pain and if it inhibits your ability to work or do daily tasks, you need to get an accident attorney involved. I am not an attorney and I do not know the laws, but consultations are free and you can see the legal recourses you have available to you.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Assault and possibly felony vehicular something charge along with hit and run.

I rarely, like this is the first time ever, say to actually sue someone. BUT SUE THE EVER LIVING SHIT OUT OF THAT ******BAG. If everything you said is true you'll never have to drive a cab/Uber again after a lawyer gets done with that jackass.

Reactions: geauxfish

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, we're talking about crimes here. You can't hire a lawyer to sue somebody for a crime. It has to go through the police and the district attorney to be prosecuted as a crime. You have to tell them you want to press charges for these crimes. I mean, if you'd like to make sure that no one else has to go through what you did with him - you should do it.

As far as suing him, you could, but he's a driver for crying outloud. You could get a judgment against him for $20 million possibly - but you'd never collect a dime so the judgment would be absolutely useless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am asking friends and google what to do.

If you are right, I have to go to the police precinct and tell them I want to press charges.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I called an accident attorney, he sounded he just woke up from his sleep and briefly told me if I do not have lots of bruises and scars, it might not be worth to deal with it. And he went back to sleep ...

I guess we can't do much unless we are dead. That is what cops and lawyers think so far. I will ask other lawyers too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Your story sounds like a joke man, it's probably true, but what are you thinking standing infront of his car to take a picture? and you still didn't get his plate?

Wake up man!

·
Premium Member
11,623 Posts
I don't know NY law, but in Florida that would be at least Aggravated Battery -- a felony. (I swing at you and miss = assault; I swing and hit you = battery). That you pursue with the police and prosecutors.

Battery (the unauthorized touching of another person) is also what is called a "tort" in civil law, which means you also have grounds to file a lawsuit against him. And you can do both -- file criminal charges, AND sue him. But the lawyer was right -- if you didn't suffer any serious injuries, it's probably not worth it to sue him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,

I apologize for my poor English, please bear with me.

I drive a tlc vehicle(uber, juno...)

Last night I was in Brooklyn on Dekalb avenue with no passengers and suddenly (literally, out of nothing, no previous reasons, no road rage issue related to me) some old white lincoln tlc squeezed his car between my car and the parked cars (there was no lanes to pass , it could be the bike lane that he was trying to pass me on) , going fast and side swiped my Camry (honestly, not a big deal, just a scratched mirror and left fender scratch and some scratches on my driver door...)

I did not know what damage he did so I wanted to make him stop. I did everything I could to make him stop. I did honk my horn, lit my brights enough, yelled at him to pull over. He did not stop. After 5-6 blocks. He pulled up to this Brooklyn hospital. I said to myself " oh, maybe he was in a rush for some emergency". But no, his riders were not in a rush. He did not even have his hazards on.

I pulled up behind his car and got out to talk to him and see the damage he made and talk about it. After his riders left, he did not even want to wait for me. I told him to stop and lets see what you did to my car. He wanted to runaway. He said that I do not have a right to stop him and told me to call the cops. I said okay, but I need your license plate so I will take a picture of your license plate. I went to the front of the white tlc cab and as I was trying to take a picture, I was right in front of the car, he just drove his car (not slowly, but fast) and even though I jumped to the side to prevent him hitting me, he did hit me and I ended up going down on my right side of my body in a puddle. My right hand bled a little bit and I have scratches on my wrist and my right side hurt a bit.

Luckily I had a blurry picture of the license plate. I called the cops, told them what had happened.

They were thinking if they should call it an "assault" or just a traffic accident thing. They asked me if I am good or not. I was bleeding insignificantly and my arm and body hurt a bit and I told them that. I never had this kind of thing happened in my life before. I did not know what to do or say but is this my responsibility ? They said I could wait whole night there if I wanted them to do call it as "assault".

They ended up writing down an accident report for the damage in my car. I could not care less about it at that moment. The driver tried to hurt me deliberately and also he ran off and left the scene. 3-4 different crimes in 5 minutes. Cops said the driver is going to be found and will be arrested for "leaving the scene". They are not going to do anything about running me over.

I woke up this morning and I feel some back pain. Probably related to the fall when he hit me.

Do I need to be fatally wounded for them to do something about this ? I do not think so.

What do you guys think ? Should I do something about it or just leave it at it? How does this work ?
Assault, hit and run, accident, the trifecta, get him for all of them. And get him for pain and suffering and lost wages, ahole deserves it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts