Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I was near the airport when I got a ping from a hotel. I arrive to a guy with his backpack on waiting. Casually enter the back seat of my car and doesn’t utter a word. Cool... I begin the trip to find out he was headed to KITCHENER!!!

Beautiful.... I quickly refuse and end the ride with a great smile. He tries to convince me to no avail and leaves my vehicle saying “it’s my loss”. :rolleyes:

So I park up hoping the next Uber driver would do the same and share a little chuckle. Three mins later he hops in the back of a dodge caravan and was off to Kitchener.

The look that pax gave me while driving by looked like a little like :cool: <——- this.

Funny day!

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
So... I was near the airport when I got a ping from a hotel. I arrive to a guy with his backpack on waiting. Casually enter the back seat of my car and doesn't utter a word. Cool... I begin the trip to find out he was headed to KITCHENER!!!

Beautiful.... I quickly refuse and end the ride with a great smile. He tries to convince me to no avail and leaves my vehicle saying "it's my loss". :rolleyes:

So I park up hoping the next Uber driver would do the same and share a little chuckle. Three mins later he hops in the back of a dodge caravan and was off to Kitchener.

The look that pax gave me while driving by looked like a little like :cool: <--- this.

Funny day!
I don't get it. What's wrong with going to Kitchener? Is abt an 1 hour away and the fare will be worth it. Given is a weekend, you probably don't have to travel back empty.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I went to kitchener twice and toronto drivers are not allowed to deive in KW region. Both I drive empty all the way to Milton to be availble fir trip again. I think still it is worthy to go kitchener from the airport.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get it. What's wrong with going to Kitchener? Is abt an 1 hour away and the fare will be worth it. Given is a weekend, you probably don't have to travel back empty.
Who wants to pay these crazy gas prices on top of uber cuts just to get some guy to Kitchener for dinner. By the way, who is to say how much I will get paid? Uber is known for cutting people short on long distance rides. I've once been a victim of that circumstance. You live and you learn.

It's the weekend. I can make way more money in the city. I usually average over $30/h. Long trips also makes me wanna go home after it's done from tiredness.

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
Who wants to pay these crazy gas prices on top of uber cuts just to get some guy to Kitchener for dinner. By the way, who is to say how much I will get paid? Uber is known for cutting people short on long distance rides. I've once been a victim of that circumstance. You live and you learn.

It's the weekend. I can make way more money in the city. I usually average over $30/h. Long trips also makes me wanna go home after it's done from tiredness.
I would have done the same

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Can't pick up in KW area. You would have made roughly $20 per hour profit (including the dead miles back) and put 200+ km on your ride. Sometimes traffic going there and coming back is BRUTAL.

I wouldn't have done it.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Can't pick up in KW area. You would have made roughly $20 per hour profit (including the dead miles back) and put 200+ km on your ride. Sometimes traffic going there and coming back is BRUTAL.

I wouldn't have done it.
At first, I was wondering why the OP refused and even made a big deal about it.

But after reading your reply, I think it does make sense that he refused it. In other words, his opportunity loss is not that great.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I agree with OP. Long trips with empty back are not worth, UNLESS with surge. I watch my payout $/km ratio and try keep it above $1/km. Long trips are usually $0.5/km. It is worse than work for free.

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
Lets do some math... Pearson to Kitchener is 93km/50min. Kitchener to Milton is 60km/40min. So you would gross about $65(excluding hst). Dead heading to Milton at 8L/100km and $1.39/L would cost ya $6.6, The trip to Kitchener $10.4, so $48 for 1.5 hrs of work, that's $32/hr after gas expenses ($43/hr without accounting for gas) I would take that... also if you want chances of getting a ride from Kitchener, then apply for PTC for that region.
Now you see why Jshawkat would take that in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Lets do some math... Pearson to Kitchener is 93km/50min. Kitchener to Milton is 60km/40min. So you would gross about $65(excluding hst). Dead heading to Milton at 8L/100km and $1.39/L would cost ya $6.6, The trip to Kitchener $10.4, so $48 for 1.5 hrs of work, that's $32/hr after gas expenses ($43/hr without accounting for gas) I would take that... also if you want chances of getting a ride from Kitchener, then apply for PTC for that region.
Now you see why Jshawkat would take that in a heartbeat.
That is 153km for $65 plus HST payout. For the same mileage I may get $120 (including HST) or more staying in Toronto, close to home.

·
Premium Member
19,592 Posts
That is 153km for $65 plus HST payout. For the same mileage I may get $120 (including HST) or more staying in Toronto, close to home.
Yep, it's that "may get" factor vs a "sure thing". But then you gotta ask yourself, how long you gotta wait for all these trips to add up to 153kms?I'm pretty sure it won't be 1.5hrs since you are not traveling at highway speeds in the city. If your average speed is 35km/h (this is based on my 2018 trips distance over time it took to complete) then you will need 4hrs and 20 min to make that $120...and that's assuming you will get back to back pings with no downtime. Here you've got yourself booked for 1.5hrs at $43/hr.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Interesting that no one has pointed out that it's against uber rules to cancel a ride based on the pax destination.

Your lucky he wasn't blind. I accepted a ride to Waterloo with a blind dude from Yonge and Eglington once cuz I felt bad for the dude. Good thing I did cuz I didn't know at the time how seriously uber takes the whole disability thing. But he proved that blind people can be garbage too cuz the next day uber took back the money I earned saying the pax said I didn't drop him off at his location. But a simple call to uber fixed that and I got my money back.

Not sure what my point is lol. That whole ride was annoying. I got lucky that the traffic was happening in the opposite direction otherwise it would have been a longer hour and a half ride. I'm with you. Screw out of town rides

·
Premium Member
6,460 Posts
My fear with long trips like that isn’t how much I’ll earn. Even with dead heading back it isn’t a bad pay. My concern is that I pickup some paxhole who tries to say it wasn’t them I picked up or that I took them to the wrong place and they try to get Uber to cancel the fare. And a pax is more likely to pull that kind stunt with a higher fare. I really don’t want to have to negotiate with Uber just to get the money I’ve rightfully earned.

I agree with the OP. I wouldn’t take the chance either. Let some inexperienced newbie have the pleasure of begging Driver Support for their own hard earned money. I’ll stay in town.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My fear with long trips like that isn't how much I'll earn. Even with dead heading back it isn't a bad pay. My concern is that I pickup some paxhole who tries to say it wasn't them I picked up or that I took them to the wrong place and they try to get Uber to cancel the fare. And a pax is more likely to pull that kind stunt with a higher fare. I really don't want to have to negotiate with Uber just to get the money I've rightfully earned.

I agree with the OP. I wouldn't take the chance either. Let some inexperienced newbie have the pleasure of begging Driver Support for their own hard earned money. I'll stay in town.
Doesn't matter if you stay in town, a paxhole is a paxhole. Had a dude that repored me for professionalism on a medium sized 15 minute trip.....At like 4am, even though we spoke and joked together. Lol First report of that kind out of 3000 trips.....basically dude got a free ride. But uber didn't touch my money. I'm sure they know I would have raised hell on earth.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.