Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a ticket today. Something to do with turning. Will fight it in court thanks to my dashcam.

Here's what i find extremely interesting.

As I've been told to do, i immediately put both hands On the wheel and told the cop i was armed. He casually asked me where it was and i told him it was on my person.

He said okay and nonchalantly turned his back to me and walked back to his car.

Think about that! White cop. White perp (me).

If i was black no way it would Have gone down like that.

Tempted to show the footage to a news outlet. Newsworthy?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got a ticket today. Something to do with turning. Will fight it in court thanks to my dashcam.

Here's what i find extremely interesting.

As I've been told to do, i immediately put both hands On the wheel and told the cop i was armed. He casually asked me where it was and i told him it was on my person.

Show it to a news outlet.Make everybody aware.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I think it's wrong and unjust.
"Wrong and unjust" that the officer didn't freak out and make an ass out of himself? LMAO. Sounds like the officer handled it a lot better than you did.

Guess i wanted my Rodney king moment.
The officer has probably been baited by much better fame-seekers. Especially in this Instagram/YouTube/Snapchat moment world so many young kids live in these days. Half the kids in middle school just want to grow up to go viral; it's all they know.
Cops too busy eating doughnuts and issuing bullshit tickets. Great way to waste our tax dollars.
You know what's weird? I rarely ate donuts in 25 years of police work. But the moment I retired, I started. Something very profound there probably.

But as far as tickets, you've got the financial equation backwards. Tickets generate revenue, not waste it.

Next time drive more carefully. Not only is careless driving likely to cause an accident, but a couple of tickets could get you deactivated.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Wrong and unjust" that the officer didn't freak out and make an ass out of himself? LMAO. Sounds like the officer handled it a lot better than you did.

The officer has probably been baited by much better fame-seekers. Especially in this Instagram/YouTube/Snapchat moment world so many young kids live in these days. Half the kids in middle school just want to grow up to go viral; it's all they know.You know what's weird? I rarely ate donuts in 25 years of police work. But the moment I retired, I started. Something very profound there probably.

But as far as tickets, you've got the financial equation backwards. Tickets generate revenue, not waste it.

Next time drive more carefully. Not only is careless driving likely to cause an accident, but a couple of tickets could get you deactivated.
The only point you make that i take issue with is your comment about how i handled it. I followed the instructions of a state trooper friend of mine to make sure the cop was fully aware i was carrying. I value both muy safety and that of the law enforcement community very seriously. But still shocked at his response. Seemed quite cavalier.

·
Administrator
7,771 Posts
Most cops aren't killed by a person who states they have a gun (unless it's being brandished about, but you know what I mean). It's the ones that they don't know about that kill them.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

You're so full of crap. You do know they issue carry permits to minorities in most states, right? And cops know this.

Criminals intending harm don't generally declare they're strapped either.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
JimKE you used to be a cop and now you UBER?. You must have a thing for driving around with @$$h0les in your back seat. lol
Some habits are hard to break!

The only point you make that i take issue with is your comment about how i handled it. I followed the instructions of a state trooper friend of mine to make sure the cop was fully aware i was carrying. I value both muy safety and that of the law enforcement community very seriously. But still shocked at his response. Seemed quite cavalier.
Your friend gave you good advice. I think most officers just assume there is a gun in every car they stop here in South Florida. I know I always did, and I think it's just basic officer safety. A motorist saying they have a gun is simply no big deal to anybody except a brand-new rookie.

The part of your conduct that I find amusing is that you were disappointed that the officer didn't drag you out through the window and face-plant you.

I would have been disappointed in the officer if he had -- no matter what your race, or his, is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes keep your hands on the steering wheel. Cops are trained to look at your hands. Duty to inform when carrying / not in Florida. I would say nothing. If it makes you feel better hand him both your driver lic. and carry lic. Then let him or her decide what to do and answer their questions. Still unsure about weather or not in Florida if they know you have a carry lic. before they pull you over or not. Outside my great home state of Florida was pulled over and cop ran my id something came back on his radio and he I think herd on his radio I have a carry lic. And handed me my id back and told me fix this! That is why I pulled you over have a nice day. Never asked for registration and insurance. He seemed like he wanted to end the traffic stop quickly and get away from me. Never asked if I had a weapon or drugs, just fix it and have a nice day no ticket.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think it's wrong and unjust.

Guess i wanted my Rodney king moment. Cops too busy eating doughnuts and issuing bullshit tickets. Great way to waste our tax dollars.

Am I reading this right? You think it's wrong and unjust that you didn't get your butt beaten by a cop or that you weren't shot by the officer?? From what you describe, you and the officer both acted correctly. Where's the injustice?

Aside from that, estimate how many officers are out in each city every day making how many stops? We hardly have an epidemic of cops out there shooting minorities. There have been some cases that cannot be defended (remember seeing a suspect shot in the back while running away from the officer). However, in most I've seen, there's at least some questionable behavior on the part of the civilian. like they keep taking a step forward, put hands in their pockets, disobey orders, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I know why there are a million ticket attorneys out there. The whole thing's a scam.

Didn't know that you get a notice of a pre trial hearing-not the actual hearing.

Since this was the first ticket I got in 20 years, I didn't know the scam.

I brought dashcam footage that the pig wrote the wrong ticket. But instead of having to drive back to ftl, I pled no contest (which insured I'd get no points which as you know is much more important than the fine). I could have fought it and most likely have prevailed, but between the cost of going back to court and the capriciousness of a judicial system designed to only benefit the wealthy, I decided not to.

So all these ticket ******* attorneys is request that adjudication is waived. They get their fee. Client still pays ridiculous court costs but nothing on record. An incredible scam!

Only in America do you in essence throw yourself at the mercy of the court when you have irrefutable evidence of your innocence.

P.s. the magistrate seemed like a nice guy. What a job here has though. You don't need a law degree to do what he did.

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Even if I had dashcam footage I would still hire a traffic lawyer to go for me

No contest is just a nicer way of saying guilty

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even if I had dashcam footage I would still hire a traffic lawyer to go for me

No contest is just a nicer way of saying guilty
Actually not. No contest=nothing on your record and no points. Big difference. That's if the magistrate waives adjudication, which he did.

As long as you have a fairly clean record, he will waive adjudication.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts