Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a note on both my windows in my personal car that I do contract work for uber in stating that uber does not have a tipping option on the application, uber does not require tips but they are greatly appreciated, thank you for riding uber. My pax gets into my car and tells me I am so wrong for asking for tips and posting anything like that in my car, then explains uber drivers don't deserve tips and that we are different than waiters or taxi drivers. I then decided her destination was 4 blocks away, at 1.10 per mile the total trip would be $5 even if I drove her the entire way and that she had ran her mouth enough in my car so I asked her to get out.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You have been posting the info in your car for quite awhile without incident right? I would have thought pax would have reported it back to Uber log ago. No feedback from Uber?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I've been telling all my passengers about Uber lying about "tip included." I also tell them that's why I like Lyft passengers better, which segues into how they should have the Lyft app to have an option when Uber tries to rob them with surge. I walk them through the process of downloading Lyft while we drive. I use my Lyft referral code and get paid for the referral and most of the time score a tip. Uber wants to play the don't tip your driver game with me, I take their passengers, give them to Lyft and get paid twice.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have been posting the info in your car for quite awhile without incident right? I would have thought pax would have reported it back to Uber log ago. No feedback from Uber?
No feedback from uber. The only time they contact me is to tell me to go to a market like York when there isn't any business there.. they only want to promote the area.

I wanted to say so much more to this pax but I just held it inside. I felt threatened by the conversation and did not wish to continue if uber contacts me about the situation I will explain I offer exceptional service to my pax and I never verbally ask any for a tip or mention my note on the windows. Not that the note helps in Philly where I was in this video, the pax there are terrible at tipping 25 rides and 6 tips. I normally get 50-60% tips in Harrisburg with my signs, 10-20% without the signs.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You really seem to be getting around. I can't imagine working so many different markets, How do they encourage you to go to York?

You handled the pax well, maintained your cool. The ride was best ended. She got the message and what she does with it is her business.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
2 nights back I picked up a guy from a pub.
Conversations brought us to the tips somehow.
I told him the truth. He seemed understanding.
At the end of the ride, he tried to offer me a promo card another driver gave him as tip saying "you can use it, right?"
When I said "I can't use this promo card." He then tipped me $2.00 together with a 4 star rating.
Out of 33 trips, he was the only one rating me less than 5 stars and because he looked bad trying to tip me with a promotion code first.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Easier to hand them the official Uber email. Edited of course.

I think they are treaing more carefully on not letting us solicit tips cause that's fuel for the employee/IC lawsuit

Sam at Uber (Uber)
Jun 1, 20:46 (2015)
Thanks for the note. Happy to help, here.
The Uber experience means not having to exchange payment at the end of a ride, so riders do not have the option to tip at the end of a ride. We let riders know that tipping is not requiredbecause we never want riders to feel obligated to pay extra at the end of Uber trips.
If a rider offers a tip, please remind that them that tipping is not necessary with Uber. New riders may not know about the tipping policy, and could feel cheated if they later learn that tipping was not required. Of course, if the rider still insists, you should accept the tip - you earned it!
You can find more information on this and more common questions athttps://help.uber.com/partners.
Sam at Uber

·
Registered
966 Posts
No feedback from uber. The only time they contact me is to tell me to go to a market like York when there isn't any business there.. they only want to promote the area.

I wanted to say so much more to this pax but I just held it inside. I felt threatened by the conversation and did not wish to continue if uber contacts me about the situation I will explain I offer exceptional service to my pax and I never verbally ask any for a tip or mention my note on the windows. Not that the note helps in Philly where I was in this video, the pax there are terrible at tipping 25 rides and 6 tips. I normally get 50-60% tips in Harrisburg with my signs, 10-20% without the signs.
You did sound a bit frazzled there... She was killing you in the debate but once she started mumbling about depreciation she lost me.

Good on you for standing up for yourself, educating PAX and posting the video.

·
Banned
919 Posts
So I have a note on both my windows in my personal car that I do contract work for uber in stating that uber does not have a tipping option on the application, uber does not require tips but they are greatly appreciated, thank you for riding uber. My pax gets into my car and tells me I am so wrong for asking for tips and posting anything like that in my car, then explains uber drivers don't deserve tips and that we are different than waiters or taxi drivers. I then decided her destination was 4 blocks away, at 1.10 per mile the total trip would be $5 even if I drove her the entire way and that she had ran her mouth enough in my car so I asked her to get out.

Good for you. The more Uber cans and suspends drivers for things that they should be able to do as IC, the more of a lawsuit will not only get them a settlement but everyone will jump on board. Uber has such shitty relationships with their drivers it amazes me they are not smart enough to satisfy both drivers and riders.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Mixed feelings on this. I feel like she was just trying to engage in friendly debate, and she's right too. You did sign up for a service knowing that they discourage tips.
No we did not. I had no idea how Uber basically lies to us and the riders. If tips were included, I haven't got mine yet In my paycheck.

·
Banned
919 Posts
What are the wiretapping laws in your state?

Are you aware that you may have committed a felony by recording audio, and posting the audio recording without consent?
He look, it is the uber wannabee. The pax is not identified, location not identified and driver not identified. I think there is no case here. Go back to your cubicle.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Mixed feelings on this. I feel like she was just trying to engage in friendly debate, and she's right too. You did sign up for a service knowing that they discourage tips.
And it's your business supposedly and you are encouraging them.

The "service" according to Uber is the use of the app. That's it. I don't see an issue here. I DO see one with Uber canning drivers with tip jars etc.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts