Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Ceramic over metallic never go metallic. Its a simple job on most economy cars these days.dont have to completely remove the caliper anymore.dont forget the grease. Don't forget to uncap the brake fluid before you start and cap it after. Get a c clamp to push the caliper back in, and grease the bolts. That's it.

Most standard ceramics do fine, are the higher priced ones worth it? Eh maybe if you live in the mountains and have to dissipate serious heat often.Other than that the cheapest ceramic will do the job as well as the high tech stuff

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
akebono they wear out too quick and your wheels get dirty daily..not made for taxi use....buy high quality..and if you need rotors buy now they are cheap..napa and many stores sell high quailty pads online with 25% off in store...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Oem is the best way to go. Akebono is the manufacturer that makes most oem brakes anyways. Wagner ceramic brakes are good but make the brake pedal too soft for my liking. Autozone brakes are crap

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
akebono makes a soft shoe ...get what lenny says if you get the expensive akebono, and thier the wrong compound..you will be replacing them super fast....if you got a toyota or any car..... google OEM BRAKE PADS FRONT......bettter to buy oem same price as higher pepboys stores

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Also brakes from AutoZone don't come with the dust caps and sometimes clips even.
Getting them from your vehicles manufacture local dealership parts department would get you back to original ride quality.

Are you just doing fronts? Some cars like VW's is doing rear brakes you need a scan tool that has VagCom so you can open the electronic parking brake.
Fronts are really easy though.

He's a good video with 10 tips to a good brake job.

#2 is one that almost everyone overlooks. Do NOT skip that step.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
DIY brake pads. Any recommendation on type/brand or shoot for the cheapest one at auto zone?
I knew a guy who once did his own brake job,He's no longer with us, jmo

no matter what you do just please don't get Autozone..i am changing my auto zones every 2-3 months :(
i went to auto zone, had bought there gold brake pads, doing FINE, jmo

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, just got back from pep boys. They ran out of akebono pads and got the next best thing. Does anyone know if WAGNER brake pads are good? ( cause that’s what I got for 67.00)

Along with it “gearhead” brand ratchet set.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Okay, just got back from pep boys. They ran out of akebono pads and got the next best thing. Does anyone know if WAGNER brake pads are good? ( cause that's what I got for 67.00)

Along with it "gearhead" brand ratchet set.
Wagner thermoquiets ceramics are all i use for brakes.

And do you mean Gearwrench because those are quality tools. I've got a bunch of gearwrench tools and they've always served me well. Their ratcheting wrenches are some of the best you can buy. If you need more, advanced auto is running 50% off on a lot of their gearwrench tool sets right now.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...+10703430+OR+25984282+OR+25984305+OR+10044812

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.