• No

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I haven't looked at this

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Are you doing that in Gainesville Florida? I know every city is a test tube to Uber. Gainesville appears to be one of the lowest paying areas I've heard of.
I have a few issues with your posts on this topic, here goes:
This gig has to make sense to do, otherwise you shouldn't be doing it.
There probably is not a lot of business during the day in Gainesville and you are competing with bored lonely retirees who don't care what they make.
Coming up with a per day expense for your vehicle doesn't make a lot of sense to me. $24 a day for 50 miles, 100 miles, ???, what if you are busy and go a long distance? Per mile cost is a better indicator.
Bottom line: it's not profitable for you to drive where you are when you are so you probably shouldn't be doing it.

I have an old beat up van, do XL etc...
my costs are approx. 33 cents a mile whether I have a passenger or not.:
5 cents a mile for the vehicle assuming I get 100K miles out of it then it's worthless
18 cents a mile for gas assuming $3 a gallon
10 cents mile for insurance, registration and maintenance.

Roughly 2 paid miles for every dead mile so my cost per pax mile is 50 cents. I only drive when there is surge or incentives, i.e. Friday and Saturday nights. I simply can't make a decent amount of money driving X passengers during the day.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
The method I used to calculate net was a calculator like the one mentioned here. I know that my car costs .30 to .35/ mile depending on gas prices.

I also would use my trip computer in my car to get my average mph while anting, which was 28 mph.

28mph times .35 cents per mile is $9.8 dollars/hour in expenses. I would just take my gross and subtract (hours times 9.8)

If I grossed $25/hour I knew I was making $15-16 /hour pre-tax. Not worth risking my car and body if minimum wage California is $14/hour.

Reactions: bobby747

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
2020 Year to date: Actual numbers: Gross hourly $30.78. After all expenses including depreciation, $25.11 per hour. Gross per mile $1.36, profit per mile $1.11. Been doing this a LONG time and I know my market. I work the peak hours and a lot of late late nights on weekends until the sun comes up.
The method I used was a calculator like the one mentioned here. I know that my car costs .30 to .35/ mile depending on gas prices.

I also would use my trip computer in my car to get my average mph while anting, which was 28 mph.

28mph times .35 cents per mile is $9.8 dollars/hour in expenses. I would just take my gross and subtract (hours times 9.8)

If I grossed $25/hour I knew I was making $15-16 /hour pre-tax. Not worth risking my car and body if minimum wage California is $14/hour.
How did you get to the $0.35/mile? I think folks are grossly inflating the actual marginal costs. Gas should be $0.10/mile. Mileage depreciation is $0.05/miles. Insurance is not an incremental cost, it is something you would have for the vehicle anyways. Vehicle depreciation do to time/aging is not an incremental cost - the vehicular would lose that value regardless just from being in existence with the passage of time. You can buy 4 tires at $48/pop that last 40k miles - thats another $0.0048/mile. An oil change is $20. A Honda Civic costs $368/year for maintenance (due to increased mileage, I'll increase it 3x to $1,104) - over 40k miles/year, that's $0.0276. Total, I'm getting $0.1824/mile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Uber and Lyft wonder where all the drivers have gone? I think I found out.

The prices of everything are going up. Everything. Gas, car repairs, groceries, phone bills, internet, you name it. Up drastically in the last few months. You know what hasn't gone up in the last few months? The rates drivers are being paid.

I drive an older car so that built-in equity is no longer there. Things wear out, and I have to replace them. The honeymoon is over, in other words. I did some averaging cost analysis over the last 3 years of repairs driving for Uber and Lyft. I found it my car requires $24 every day that I drive it just to keep it safely on the road. We'll keep that figure in mind.

Now let's look at the price of gas. I'm averaging about $100 every week to put in the tank.

I drove for 7 hours on a Wednesday in Gainesville Florida. I came home with about $8 per hour, which is on the low end of the usual $8 to $20 an hour.

Factoring in the previous figures for maintenance and gas, I came up with this.

Gas - $2.04 per hour
Maintenance - $3.42 per hour

What's left? $2.54 per hour

On a slower day I can be working for Uber and Lyft and taking home $2.54 per hour. Take out your own calculator and do your math. It's the hidden costs that get you.

Yes, I am indeed looking for other sources of income.
You will have higher income if you work for Target for $15/hr than if you drive for UBER or Lyft. Think about it. They manipulate you any way they want without you even knowing. They will not pay all tolls, they will starve you of rides if you decline short-trip rides for any reason whatsoever, be it your voluntary or involuntary choice. In this game, you are the one that renders the service and they are the ones who profit the most on your back, and still complain and make your life miserable if you don't comply to their rules.
These are my rules:
  • if the trip to the ride is less than 50% of the ride itself, I will not take it or will cancel it if I do.
  • if I make less than $30/hr in rides, I will drive back home, and be done for the day.
  • if I get stuck with rides within a suspicious neighborhood, I will go offline and resurface someplace else.
  • if the GPS takes me to the wrong pickup location and the turnaround will take more than 2 miles or it will take more than 10 minutes due to traffic conditions in the area, I cancel the ride.
Both, UBER and LYFT are full of BS and their system has been programmed to hurt you, the driver.
I am in the process of getting another job right now. But for those continuing in this torment activity, consider getting together, form a union and use this site to coordinate all the regional activities, such as a strike, a protest, etc. Without solidarity, we are just pawns on their hands and we will ALWAYS lose.
United, we can find out all the tricks they play and inform other location groups around the country, like airport queues, rides starvation, area confinement, how they remunerate our trips (including tolls, time spent, trip to pickup driver, the trip itself - all in full detail, and compare with what they do. You will be disappointed and very p-off to find out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
How did you get to the $0.35/mile? I think folks are grossly inflating the actual marginal costs. Gas should be $0.10/mile. Mileage depreciation is $0.05/miles. Insurance is not an incremental cost, it is something you would have for the vehicle anyways. Vehicle depreciation do to time/aging is not an incremental cost - the vehicular would lose that value regardless just from being in existence with the passage of time. You can buy 4 tires at $48/pop that last 40k miles - thats another $0.0048/mile. An oil change is $20. A Honda Civic costs $368/year for maintenance (due to increased mileage, I'll increase it 3x to $1,104) - over 40k miles/year, that's $0.0276. Total, I'm getting $0.1824/mile.
Gee, guys! I was at the airport waiting area the other day, and I overheard some naïve drivers bragging they bought their vehicles just to offer a better ride to UBER passengers, certain they were getting the best part of the deal. Can you believe it? I want to see what these guys would do as their trips start starving and they end up making $100 by the end of the day (if they were lucky).

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
I think it depends on your situation and whether you do the work yourself or not.
I drive a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan just for rideshare so insurance and registration are valid expenses.Mileage depreciation is 5cents for me going from a 5K purchase price assuming I get 100K miles and then throw the thing away. If you bought one new it would be higherand even a used 10K vehicle, can you count on getting 200K out of it without increased maintenance expenses? I don't know where you are getting your oil changes for $20 unless you are doing them yourself and $48 tires, again, are you mounting and balancing yourself? With that said, if you were still able to get a cheap low mileage older Civic or Corolla I would think you can get it into the 22 to 25 cent range.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Gas should be $0.10/mile.
Your numbers might work in Texas, but in CA all those numbers are different.

The gas, average price/gal my market is $4.38

My real world mileage (not the fairy-tale EPA highway numbers) on my 09 Corolla is 29 mpg. Thats 0.151, not ten cents.

Registration is $302/year in CA for my car.

An oil change is $20.
Lol, okay.

Cheapest set of tires at Costco is $524 for set of 4 80,000 mi warranty. $0.0065/mi (doesn't include 9.75% state/county sales tax or tire recycling fee.)

Et Cetera, Et Cetera. There's other stuff too, but you get the idea.

Your numbers work on paper in Texas, but in real world San Francisco Bay Area they do not.

Even if they did, that's 19$/hour. No workman's comp, no disability, no SSI contribution. $2500 deductible, no healthcare, no sick/vacation.

And all of the above assumes no interest cost from financing, no tickets, and no accidents.

I can get paid that pushing shopping carts at the above Costco with full benefits.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
So, gas is slightly more. I pulled the tires from a site, so it’s possible. Registration is a cost you would pay regardless. Sounds like we generally agree and the $0.35 is entirely too high. Perhaps adding $0.05 to the $0.18 I quoted is more accurate.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
So, gas is slightly more. I pulled the tires from a site, so it’s possible. Registration is a cost you would pay regardless. Sounds like we generally agree and the $0.35 is entirely too high. Perhaps adding $0.05 to the $0.18 I quoted is more accurate.
Really depends what you drive. My wife's Honda Pilot gets 18mpg and my Accord Hybrid gets 44. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Also depends whether or not your car is a piece of crap. Maintenance needy cars cost more because they break alot.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I see your point. Yes, if you drop insurance, registration, and time depreciation cost it would be closer to your number.

But I still think you're underestimating the risk premium involved. I'm sure risk is minimal doing Lyft Lux around Highland Park, but that's not everyone's market.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I see your point. Yes, if you drop insurance, registration, and time depreciation cost it would be closer to your number.

But I still think you're underestimating the risk premium involved. I'm sure risk is minimal doing Lyft Lux around Highland Park, but that's not everyone's market.

What risks do you refer to? Carjackings/robbery or more like accidents?

I’ve seen the news stories like everyone else, but I’m not certain how frequentthe crimes really are. I certainly understand the risk of being on the road and putting oneself in danger from logging so many hours.

I think I started a thread asking when enough was enough. I pondered out loud whether the extra scratch I was making was worth the risk, particularly when I don’t need the money whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts

I’ve seen the news stories like everyone else, but I’m not certain how frequentthe crimes really are. I certainly understand the risk of being on the road and putting oneself in danger from logging so many hours.

I think I started a thread asking when enough was enough. I pondered out loud whether the extra scratch I was making was worth the risk, particularly when I don’t need the money whatsoever.
"I think I started a thread asking when enough was enough. I pondered out loud whether the extra scratch I was making was worth the risk, particularly when I don’t need the money whatsoever."

It would be a silly waste of a rich man's time to drive rideshare. If you had some desire to serve the community there are better, more profitable, uses of your time. Rideshare is for bored retirees and bored housewives and desperate people in need of a buck.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
"I think I started a thread asking when enough was enough. I pondered out loud whether the extra scratch I was making was worth the risk, particularly when I don’t need the money whatsoever."

It would be a silly waste of a rich man's time to drive rideshare. If you had some desire to serve the community there are better, more profitable, uses of your time. Rideshare is for bored retirees and bored housewives and desperate people in need of a buck.
I don’t need the bucks, but I enjoy bucking the trend. I also drive because it keeps me humble and grounded. I live in one of the richest zip codes in the country and can see how snobby some neighbors can be. It’s humbling to be of service to others and rewarding to keep my community moving. It allows me to give back to my community and give back to this community.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts

Fatalities, accidents, and crime (personal and property).

From the article I linked:

I used recent BLS data to estimate risks and job percentile rankings. The non-fatal injury rate estimate for Uber and Lyft drivers is 173.8 per 10,000 full-time workers, with percentile rank 13.0. This indicates that 86.9% of jobs have lower injury rates and 12.9% have higher injury rates.
The fatality rate for Uber and Lyft drivers is 14.6 per 100,000 full-time workers, with percentile rank 19.4. This indicates that 80.5% of jobs have lower fatality risks and 19.3% have higher fatality risks.
For GrubHub drivers, the non-fatality rate is 205.7 per 10,000 with percentile rank 9.0; the fatality rate is 24.8 per-100,000 with percentile rank 10.6.

The Author : Paul Leigh is professor emeritus in the Department of Public Health Sciences at UC Davis, and the author of two books about dangerous jobs and occupational safety and health.

These are not inconsequential numbers or one in a million risks. You do Lux in a SUV around Highland Park, very low risk. But what about the ant that does GrubHub on a bicycle in the Bronx after 11pm in the rain?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Fatalities, accidents, and crime (personal and property).

From the article I linked:

I used recent BLS data to estimate risks and job percentile rankings. The non-fatal injury rate estimate for Uber and Lyft drivers is 173.8 per 10,000 full-time workers, with percentile rank 13.0. This indicates that 86.9% of jobs have lower injury rates and 12.9% have higher injury rates.
The fatality rate for Uber and Lyft drivers is 14.6 per 100,000 full-time workers, with percentile rank 19.4. This indicates that 80.5% of jobs have lower fatality risks and 19.3% have higher fatality risks.
For GrubHub drivers, the non-fatality rate is 205.7 per 10,000 with percentile rank 9.0; the fatality rate is 24.8 per-100,000 with percentile rank 10.6.

The Author : Paul Leigh is professor emeritus in the Department of Public Health Sciences at UC Davis, and the author of two books about dangerous jobs and occupational safety and health.

These are not inconsequential numbers or one in a million risks. You do Lux in a SUV around Highland Park, very low risk. But what about the ant that does GrubHub on a bicycle in the Bronx after 11pm in the rain?
I appreciate you providing facts - this is the yep of dialogue that adds immense value to these discussions. I would not have pegged the risks to be that high.

I’ve acknowledged the collison risks associated with driving and asked for input from others on how they think about that risk vs the reward from driving. Of course, I don’t believe I receive much thoughtful feedback.

I have not, until now, appreciate the full spectrum and frequency of the risks experienced by Ants. You are right that I have consciously avoided all services except for Lux primarily to select for higher quality pax. Plus, the dollars from X really aren’t worth my while.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
You are right that I have consciously avoided all services except for Lux primarily to select for higher quality pax. Plus, the dollars from X really aren’t worth my while.
If your goal is to serve the community as you stated, you might try driving all platforms you are eligible for. Doing lux only - you're serving mostly people with $

Also you said you drive to stay grounded and stay humble. Is it working? Some of your posts in this thread would seem to contradict that... gigabrain for example? Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
If your goal is to serve the community as you stated, you might try driving all platforms you are eligible for. Doing lux only - you're serving mostly people with $

Also you said you drive to stay grounded and stay humble. Is it working? Some of your posts in this thread would seem to contradict that... gigabrain for example? Just sayin.
Well I live in one of the wealthiest and most exclusive zip codes on the planet, so driving lux does allow me to serve my community. During the acute driver shortage, Lux was often cheaper than regular Lyft, so I did get a mix of pax. One of my most rewarding rides recently involved taking a young African-American gentleman to his job early one weekend morning. He had been cancelled on numerous times (even on Lux) before I came through to save the day. In fact, many of my early morning weekend trips are taking folks to work (and not just sex workers).

Anting has kept me quite humble. What may come off as braggadocio here is really just extreme transparency. To best educate the Ants and serve as a role model for success and achievement, it’s important for me to be an open kimono regarding my career, education, wealth, etc.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You're claiming you are spending $6k+ annually on maintenance? You'd be well served to find a more reliable vehicular.
I agree. I like the car I've got, and it's paid for. It should be reasonable enough to be able to cover the maintenance costs. But I'm discovering the hidden secret of working for rideshare. You're donating the equity of your car to the rideshare company. I could buy a newer car but in time I think I would be in the same position.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts