Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

I called 911.. had no choice..

9K views 90 replies 54 participants last post by  Pindrop 
#1 · (Edited)
So after a very long night, at about 2am, I picked up a client from a bar. He definitely seemed to have had a few drinks and asked me to take him home. As we were driving, his phone fell from his hand and it went in between my seats. It was clear that he had knocked out. Meanwhile, there were police vehicles driving by with their sirens on; however, the client did not show any signs of waking up at all. I was surprised since these sirens were quite loud. I was like, oh well, he's probably taking a short nap and will wake up towards the end of the trip. I arrived at his destination but he showed no signs of waking up. I did not want to touch him but told him that we had arrived. Nope! Still not enough! After calling his name a few times and telling him that we have arrived, he did not respond at all. I had no choice but to call 911. After the parademics arrived, they were surprised that I made a call for such a "small" problem. Even they, could not wake him up so easily. After putting some force towards his shoulders, he eventually woke up and did not know where he was. He was slurring and was not in good shape at all. They were about to take him into the er but then he immediately sobered up. There goes my night. o_O

Any thoughts? Did I handle it correctly?

#2 ·
Yes!! Cuz he may have been suffering from very very low blood sugar........when someone with extremely low blood sugar...they act like very drunk...or not with it and have no idea what is going on......you did exactly the right thing congrats not many people are aware that people with very low blood sugar act like they are wasted.....and could possibly die....bravo *standing and clapping* I know this cuz I am insulin dependent diabetic.........no-one knows for sure best thing to do is call 911 explain you have someone passed out and they may need medical help please send someone to check out

#10 ·
Yes you absolutely did the right thing. I had this same experience a few months ago, expcept I gave him a few slaps before calling 911. When he didn't respond it was time for the paramedics. When the paramedics couldn't wake him he was taken to the ER, next morning I looked at the trip and he tipped. I was surprised to see the tip, figured he'd be pissed.

#11 ·
Yes you absolutely did the right thing. I had this same experience a few months ago, expcept I gave him a few slaps before calling 911. When he didn't respond it was time for the paramedics. When the paramedics couldn't wake him he was taken to the ER, next morning I looked at the trip and he tipped. I was surprised to see the tip, figured he'd be pissed.
Did you report what had happened to über? Should I email?

#15 ·
If it was Lyft you should have tipped yourself $1000.

Since it was a guy, no you did the wrong thing. Girl maybe. I understand not touching a passed out chick, but guys r another story imo.

Wasting yours and the paramedics time.
Silly comment. OP is no paramedic, the guy might have been in cardiac arrest for all he knew. The name of the game is Cover Your Ass and if you don't play it right you'll get very poor very quick.

Having said that, I think anyone who drives at 2am is asking for trouble. I won't drive after dark and certainly not after 8pm.

#17 ·
At least you didn't do what some friends and I did to another friend (?) back in college. We were slightly inebriated returning from a party. This guy passed out in the car and we weren't up for carrying him to his room. So, we stripped him naked and left him on the lawn of the dorm. We decided he deserved it since he was kind of a butt.

#20 ·
as it's a dude, i think you should have pushed him back and forth till he woke up. I mean, he's can't accuse you of "sexual assault" obviously. But if it was a female passenger, I'd never touch her. best to just call the police then. even if it's a male passenger, you should hold the phone in one hand and record it, and push his shoulder with the other, just in case. but calling 911 was a bit overkill.

#22 ·
as it's a dude, i think you should have pushed him back and forth till he woke up. I mean, he's can't accuse you of "sexual assault" obviously..
Seriously? Male on male sexual assault happens more than you realize and not just in prison. It's just as under reported as female on male sexual assault, out of embarrassment the victims tend to not come forward.

#24 ·
I do this part-time and I choose to only work Friday and Saturday nights. Starting 10pm-4am is a solid time and I make bank with ease. I only work during promotions, so I'll get those and the surge rides. Thanks to all the scaredy-cats for calling it quits after 8pm so we get all the surge rides:p. And the zero traffic, drive any speed you'd like, safer roads is definitely a treat!

Anyways, a pax passing out happens almost every other ride for me in downtown Chicago. The simple poke on the knee usually does the trick, girl or guy, doesn't matter. You can also turn your car off and wait out the meter for a couple minutes if it was a surge ride:D.

#27 ·
The comments about amateur hour are rather inappropriate. I'm far from an amateur and those are the hours I drive most as that's when business (and surge) is the best.

OP absolutely did the right thing. Leave it to professionals. Never touch a pax, male or female. CYA is absolutely the name of the game, you push a guy back and forth trying to wake him up, he hits his head on the window and sues you for brain damage and lost wages. A liberal jury agrees and hits you with a million dollar judgement. Not worth the risk. Call 911 and let the pros deal with it. Even if they think you're wasting their time, that's what they're getting paid for.

Also, install a 2-way dashcam. Really helps with the CYA thing!

#29 ·
I would have shaken the person before calling 911.

I don't think there's anything wrong with touching ppl, just don't do anything inappropriate. Are you afraid to shake someones hand?

If someone wants to file false sexual assault charges they can do it whether you touch them or not.

#30 ·
OP did the right thing. You are paid to drive, period. I would never touch any rider, male or female nor would I try to remove them. I might have made a non-emergency call to local PD dispatch to minimize the drama but OP's decision was not wrong.

Work the drunks, if you can, that's where the money is for most of us, but plan ahead and have a dash cam.

#31 ·
This is why I never am out past midnight...ever. Took one ride at 1204am and of course got the drunk guy who barely could walk. His girlfriend was chatty and before I could get him home he got mad because he felt she was flirting with me and decided he wanted out of the van and then decided he wanted to kick my asss. That was a little funny since he couldn't take a step without about falling.

I refuse to chase surge and invite sloppy drunks that eventually once a night if not more are going to cause issues. But that's a choice each of us have to make

#33 ·
Come on,.. everyone knows to end trip and give yourself 5*'s, + tip if on lyft. Then close there app and open pokemon go. Drag them to a suitable place and put phone in there hand.

But yes, you did the right thing.

#35 ·
Exactly, never cut the meter until the pax is out of the vehicle. And if he forgot his phone, make sure to charge him for the following the ambulance to return it.

In all seriousness, had one last fall on Halloween, 20 something college chick, scantily dressed, picked her up at a concert venue, 45 minute trip to her destination, didn't smell booze or otherwise, but 2 minutes after getting in the backseat, even with the A/C on, she put the window and was partially hanging out the window, then suddenly slumped back and passed out. Figured I'd let her sleep it off. Get close to her destination, calling her name, no response. Pulled to the curb, try to get some response, got out and opened the back door, shook her arm, nothing, was about to use the paramedic trick of pain response when I saw two cops. They saw me with the door open, I motioned for them to come over, they roused her from her sleep and got her out, I closed the door and left.

#38 ·
Ur confused? Prob not the first time.

Sexual assault isnt shaking someone awake. If you think it is your confused. Thats the first thing someone does. U try to wake them. Loud noise or shaking. No response warrants a 911 call. U being too scared to wake someone up means an ambulance should rush over with sirens on? Grow up fools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.