Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I have a feeling pax entered the address in the wrong city, even if all freeway driving with no traffic that's still 11+ hours at 80 miles/hr. Unless it's someone like Mr Beast pulling another stunt of course.

·
Super Moderator
7,285 Posts
ugh! no way! Dead miles most of the way back! 1800 mile roundtrip, at least two night's hotel bill. (Remember, you can't drive over 10 12 hours without 6 hours off. How would they work that one?)

Let's see, that's 400 miles in CA at $4.50/gal and 1400 @ about $3.80/gal. Let's assume 25mpg. Figure somewhere between $250 and $300 for gas, another $80 / night for at least one night hotel. and that $843 is down to around $450 in net after immediate real costs, or $15/hr net

Nah, wouldn't take that trip. Oh, and Vegas is what, about 100 miles out of the way on the return? Should be able to make as much or more net by turning it down.

·
Registered
989 Posts
ugh! no way! Dead miles most of the way back! 1800 mile roundtrip, at least two night's hotel bill. (Remember, you can't drive over 10 hours without 6 hours off. How would they work that one?)

Let's see, that's 400 miles in CA at $4.50/gal and 1400 @ about $3.80/gal. Let's assume 25mpg. Figure somewhere between $250 and $300 for gas, another $80 / night for at least one night hotel. and that $843 is down to around $450 in net after immediate real costs, or $15/hr net

Nah, wouldn't take that trip. Oh, and Vegas is what, about 100 miles out of the way on the return? Should be able to make as much or more net by turning it down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
ugh! no way! Dead miles most of the way back! 1800 mile roundtrip, at least two night's hotel bill. (Remember, you can't drive over 10 hours without 6 hours off. How would they work that one?)

When Uber times out he could switch over to Lyft.....hotel not needed.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts

I thought it was 12 hours then they force you to take a 6 hour break?

How did they pull this one off then? 2256 miles from NC to CA.

·
Premium Member
2006 Civic Junk yard special
2,511 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
My bad. It is 12 hours, not 10. Nevertheless, if they let someone "finish" a 15 hour trip, they're in violation of federal and many state rules about driving time. So, how do they handle trips like that? Enquiring minds want to know!
:unsure:
What specific law are you referring to? I can find laws related to truck and bus drivers, but nothing fully applicable to ride-share. The 12 hour limit seems self imposed.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Correcting table math 11/23 oops...
Going off @Chocoholic scenario call it $250 for gas is averaging upper 20s 28 mpg if not better and say $4 a gallon 63.42 gallons over 1,776 miles round trip with the cheaper state fuel ups. Gasbuddy shows it can be done for $211 with a 20/30 mpg vehicle scenario. Would take a 20 city/25 highway mpg vehicle to be at $253 by their guide. Unless you're driving like a grandma or making lots of stops 61 mph average they say it'll take 14.33 hours (860 minutes)... take out the 1/2 hour for 28 hours round trip $842 upfront - $80 hotel somewhere = $762 / 28 hours $27.21 per hour. Take out maybe $40 in food if they don't pay for it or tip up. $720-$250 gas = $470 / 28 = $16.78 an hour after expenses. Might get some trips back in the California borders eventually. I got lucky with a Palm Springs to Beverly Hills trip before after my own out of state road trip to Arizona. I have ignored Vegas and Arizona trip requests lately. Nobody gets paid for sleeping time at home or away, unless you have investments. :unsure:
Not counting expenses to deadmile it back $842 / 28 hours = $30 per hour. $21 an hour after gas cost if they tipped up for food and hotel.

Would think some of them would hop on a way cheaper bus if flights don't beat the ride cost, then take an Uber from the main city. But that spot is still 183 miles from Albuquerque, which Uber shows costing a $219 ride from ABQ airport. The app won't show the full trip fare from Hollywood.

When Uber times out he could switch over to Lyft.....hotel not needed.
Or he could timeout like the guy that just happened to plow into 25 police cadets while supposedly passing out at the wheel. NBC4 interviewed him. Seems like the cadets beat him up or at least dragged him out after he might of avoided injury. Some people said he was up late then off to work extra early and saw his face looking downward...probably not looking at a cell phone. The attorney wouldn't let him answer how the injuries happened.
Thought I could drive up to San Francisco before on little sleep. I kept nodding off up into the Grapevine and said screw this, headed back home.
Missed out on a sports team winning a state championship.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
What specific law are you referring to? I can find laws related to truck and bus drivers, but nothing fully applicable to ride-share. The 12 hour limit seems self imposed.
Not so much a law, but a policy. I used to be a truck driver many years ago, and I have to agree with Uber's policy. And that's the reason I quit the trucking business, especially with the graveyard shift. About 20 minutes from my shift ending, I would go into these so-called micro sleep moments. I was taught in school about these events, and it was brutal.

One time I was driving and it was about 7:00 in the morning and the sun was coming up and my trainer was in the back sleeping, I was talking to a woman in my sleep, seemed like it was a lifetime conversation, but it was only about 5 seconds, and then I woke up with a fully loaded truck, 80,000 lbs veering out of my Lane, scared the shit out of me with my heart beating out of my chest. I said to myself, eff this, I'll go back to driving locally LOL

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Going off @Chocoholic scenario call it $250 for gas is averaging upper 20s 28 mpg if not better and say $4 a gallon 63.42 gallons over 1,776 miles round trip with the cheaper state fuel ups. Gasbuddy shows it can be done for $211 with a 20/30 mpg vehicle scenario. Would take a 20 city/25 highway mpg vehicle to be at $253 by their guide. Unless you're driving like a grandma or making lots of stops 61 mph average they say it'll take 14.33 hours (860 minutes)... take out the 1/2 hour for 28 hours round trip $842 upfront - $80 hotel somewhere = $762 / 28 hours $27.21 per hour. Take out $60 in food if they don't pay for it or tip up. $700 / 28 = $25 an hour. At least it's $700+ guaranteed income over just 2 days. Might get some trips back in the California borders eventually. I got lucky with a Palm Springs to Beverly Hills trip before after my own out of state road trip to Arizona. I have ignored Vegas and Arizona trip requests lately. Nobody gets paid for sleeping time at home or away, unless you have investments. :unsure:

Would think some of them would hop on a way cheaper bus if flights don't beat the ride cost, then take an Uber from the main city. But that spot is still 183 miles from Albuquerque, which Uber shows costing a $219 ride from ABQ airport. The app won't show the full trip fare from Hollywood.
I think you might want to double check your math there.

The total pay out of this trip is $843. Round trip is 1800 miles, at 30 MPH that's 60 gallons of gas, even at $4/gallon non CA gas price, that's $240 for gas alone. Now we are left with $843 - $240 = $600.

Round trip takes 860 min x 2 / 60 = 29 hours driving alone, which is over 24 hours. I assume most people will require three meals in 24 hours plus at least 5-6 hours of sleeping for safety, so three meal plus motel, I am guessing at least $100? Now you are left with $600 - $100 = $500.

Now let's talk about time. Three food breaks, sleeping at a cheap motel for 6 hours, at least 4 fill ups at 15 gallon each, plus 29 hours driving, that's easy 36+ hours of total time.

Finally we take $500 / 36 = ~$14 per hour, and that's the most optimistic outcome because I used non-CA gas price, perfect driving condition and cheap food lodging option. And that's before vehicle depreciation and maintenance etc. Also considering that's like 29 hours of work in just 36 hours of total time, totally shit pay for such strength and exhausting work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts