Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you I-290 users see that there are time slots which usually ARE NOT a parking lot crawl within these parameters:

* Monday - Friday
* Between downtown and about 25th Ave
* Between 7 am and 8 pm
* Inbound (assuming different than outbound)
* Outbound (assuming different than inbound)

Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do any of you I-290 users see that there are time slots which usually ARE NOT a parking lot crawl within these parameters:

* Monday - Friday
* Between 7 am and 8 pm

Thanks!
I've lived here my whole life and grew up by the Hillside strangler and it has always been an issue from 290/294/88 to Austin where it goes to 4 lanes on inbound. Only time I have never hit traffic there is overnight.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Your post explains why, as a city driver, a ride out to Naperville is usually a kiss of death!

Sorry buddy, but I don't see anything good happening on 290 M-F 7a-8p.

Maybe someone here has experience with some "golden hour", but I haven't found it.

It's called "The Strangler" for a reason!

Your assessment is pretty accurate. Early weekend mornings are the only time I'll accept a trip from DuPage into the city requiring the Ike.
Slower weeknights after 8:30 or 9:00p can often work, as well as late night on the busier nights. It won't be completely wide-open, but will be broken traffic that moves well enough. But be prepared for some jag-mo, cutting around, racing drivers! There's just something about the Ike!

Also, inbound can still get messed-up on late nights if the weather's warm, and the night is conducive to travel. I've been blown away when I've occasional been stuck in heavy traffic on the Ike or Ryan at 1:00A on a warm summer Saturday night! Often enough, there's added construction.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Your post explains why, as a city driver, a ride out to Naperville is usually a kiss of death!

Sorry buddy, but I don't see anything good happening on 290 M-F 7a-8p.

Maybe someone here has experience with some "golden hour", but I haven't found it.

It's called "The Strangler" for a reason!

Slower weeknights after 8:30 or 9:00p can often work, as well as late night on the busier nights. It won't be completely wide-open, but will be broken traffic that moves well enough. But be prepared for some jag-mo, cutting around, racing drivers! There's just something about the Ike!

Also, inbound can still get messed-up on late nights if the weather's warm, and the night is conducive to travel. I've been blown away when I've occasional been stuck in heavy traffic on the Ike or Ryan at 1:00A on a warm summer Saturday night! Often enough, there's added construction.
Now I've hit traffic on the Kennedy at night at times. But I've never ran into bad traffic on the 290 at night regardless of which day it is. Of all the highways in the city the 55 and 290 are mostly clear og traffic at night. Notice I said mostly.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
And there are no good alternatives. Stay on the highway unless it's is absolutely horrible (accident) or you are just tired of highway stop/go.

Cermak = bad. Roosevelt = bad. Madison or Lake = no way (cuz of the gridlock in Oak Park).

Once you could've taken inbound side streets in Maywood and maybe shaved 3 or 5 minutes. But lane configuration changes on Mannheim (when that Super Target was built) stopped that.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Now I've hit traffic on the Kennedy at night at times. But I've never ran into bad traffic on the 290 at night regardless of which day it is. Of all the highways in the city the 55 and 290 are mostly clear og traffic at night. Notice I said mostly.
If by "night" you mean "after 8:30 or 9:00p", I can somewhat agree.

But I've been stuck in summer late Friday and Saturday night traffic (12:30-1:00A!) on the inbound Ike going to the outbound Ryan, and also on the inbound Ryan going to the outbound Ike! And often enough, there's late night construction and lane closures during the summer nights, too.

I think I agree the Stevenson might be the most open expressway at night, though the Edens (north of the junction) can really move well too. In fact, I love the Edens late at night.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
If there was a way to for politicians to do the right thing, and build the Oak Park exits on the right side, most of the mid-day traffic would be obliterated. Oak Park politics are the ENTIRE reason for the I290 problem. There are entire articles about it regarding the politics of the building of the I-290.

Also, you'll notice the I-90 backs up for seemingingly no reason outbound near the Bryn Mawr exit almost all day, every day. They engineered a blind 45 degree bend into the highway that seems to scare residents to a screeching halt every SINGLE day.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts

* Monday - Friday
* Between 7 am and 8 pm

Thanks!
Bail and try Lake Street - No matter what you do, it ain't pretty.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Sunday Hawks games at 1130am. Able to do a few trips without dropping below speed limit. Other that I avoid it.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Inbound Ike, Google maps has suggested one or two streets north of Ike.. Shave 5-10 minutes in my experience. But pay attention to potholes.. Be prepared to drive on moonlike streets.

Same outbound as well.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Inbound Ike, Google maps has suggested one or two streets north of Ike.. Shave 5-10 minutes in my experience. But pay attention to potholes.. Be prepared to drive on moonlike streets.

Same outbound as well.
Once when employed out west, in utter desperation I occasionally took Washington eastbound going home. But I can't say whether I saved anything.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good thoughts and points. I have experimented with going out on Roosevelt for a ways and got some fares, I think as a result. But I am very new at this (being rideshare driver).

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Once when employed out west, in utter desperation I occasionally took Washington eastbound going home. But I can't say whether I saved anything.
Since the Waze purchase, Google maps pretty much told me the time savings. However, the side streets go through sketchy neighborhoods. I think it's OK prior to late late night..

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a great website with charts of travel time vs time of day for Chicago area expressways which I use everyday. Queries can be customized by expressway, direction, day of week, etc. URL is in the screenshot. Yellow areas indicate the 80% chance what travel time will be. This shows that on an average weekday, I290 west bound Circle to Wolf is not a parking lot before 6am, after 8pm and between 10am-1pm.

290 WB Circle to Wolf Weekdays.jpg

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yeah 290 is trash. You are better off avoiding it. And I don't know why people get so petrified by the two and ONLY TWO left hand ramps at Austin and Harlem....OH THAT IS BECAUSE PEOPLE IN THE CHICAGOLAND AREA CAN'T MERGE FOR SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sunday morning, inbound and outbound until about nine o'clock . I take it every Sunday going to the great old-fashioned 7:30 Latin mass at Our Lady Immaculate at the Austin exit, Washington and Ridgeland.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a great website with charts of travel time vs time of day for Chicago area expressways which I use everyday. Queries can be customized by expressway, direction, day of week, etc. URL is in the screenshot. Yellow areas indicate the 80% chance what travel time will be. This shows that on an average weekday, I290 west bound Circle to Wolf is not a parking lot before 6am, after 8pm and between 10am-1pm.

Fabulous, thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts