Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Same for me. If I'm running rideshare and have already depleted say half my battery range, I don't want to have to decline a long trip 45+ because of the damn battery.
Maybe that is something Uber should build into the app for EV's. At the start of your shift you enter the available miles left on your battery. They could then filter out rides that you would have to decline.

Of course this would be great for people that only want trips within a certain range, they could report what ever battery life they wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
I think I may go test drive a new car tonight. The model I am looking at comes with a standard gas engine (28 MPG) and also a Hybrid model (38 MPG). The price difference is around $10,000.

If my calculations are correct I would have to drive over 350,000 miles to make it worth it at $3.00 per gallon. Even at $5.00 per gallon I would have to drive 213,000 miles to make up the difference.

What am I missing? I could invest the $10,000 in crypto currency and come out way ahead.
Congratulations on the new Moderator badge you're sporting today. I think you were a good choice.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Maybe that is something Uber should build into the app for EV's. At the start of your shift you enter the available miles left on your battery. They could then filter out rides that you would have to decline.

Of course this would be great for people that only want trips within a certain range, they could report what ever battery life they wanted.
I agree with this strategy, but my point was more the fact of I ALWAYS want to be able to take a 200 mile trip. At any time. Beginning or end of shift. So I drive a hybrid. I'll switch to a full EV when an affordable car comes out with a 500+ mile range.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
I think I may go test drive a new car tonight. The model I am looking at comes with a standard gas engine (28 MPG) and also a Hybrid model (38 MPG). The price difference is around $10,000.

If my calculations are correct I would have to drive over 350,000 miles to make it worth it at $3.00 per gallon. Even at $5.00 per gallon I would have to drive 213,000 miles to make up the difference.

What am I missing? I could invest the $10,000 in crypto currency and come out way ahead.
Have you looked at anything diesel

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I want to comment .
You said 28mpg. That is horrible .
My 3 year old hyundai with 120k i average 40mpg on the freeway driving 75
If i cut the speed to 60 ish ill get 50 mpg
In the city is 30s .
Unless your looking at a suv.
Please buy a used beat up car for rideshare . Keep your new car for you and the family .

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts

I ordered a Hybrid Pacifica, not my usual Gas Powered Caravan SXT. Just makes sense, Money and Tax wise, unbelievable incentives when I ordered it, plus I signed on for a beta tester for extended batteries and second alternator for charging while on gas. Who knows if there will even be gas in 6 years?

·
Banned
7,204 Posts

I
No, any suggestions on a mid size SUV?
Avoid any general motors 3.6l.....

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I ordered a Hybrid Pacifica, not my usual Gas Powered Caravan SXT. Just makes sense, Money and Tax wise, unbelievable incentives when I ordered it, plus I signed on for a beta tester for extended batteries and second alternator for charging while on gas. Who knows if there will even be gas in 6 years?
How reliable are Chrysler products? And, who makes their hybrid system? LG?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
How reliable are Chrysler products?
Extremely not. It will probably make it to 100K miles without too much beyond routine maintenance like almost any car, but after that get rid of it fast.

And this goes for any car with an automatic transmission: If you want to give the transmission the best chance of long term survival, make sure you drain & fill (not flush!) every 60K miles or whatever the manufacturer says for severe duty: whichever is LESS. If they say "lifetime fill" or you never need to do it, that's a big lie and you should do it every 60K in that instance.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Care to elaborate?

Asking for a friend who has used GM products (cars/trucks/SUVs) for the past 20+ years and driven hundreds of thousands of pretty damn reliable miles. :unsure:
Any mechanic worth his salt (except those at GM dealerships obviously) will tell you that after 100K miles and/or 7 years of age or so that they are very often in the shop for all kinds of repairs... much more so than most Toyotas and Hondas and a few select Fords.

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Any mechanic worth his salt (except those at GM dealerships obviously) will tell you that after 100K miles and/or 7 years of age or so that they are very often in the shop for all kinds of repairs... much more so than most Toyotas and Hondas and a few select Fords.
What kinds of repairs that the others aren't susceptible for? I know certain GM 4-bangers have inherent engine issues, but what else? Guess I've been lucky over those said hundreds of thousands of miles since the only major repair I've ever had to do was a transmission rebuild on my 2003 Silverado at 176K miles. Other than that, just normal stuff. But I guess Toyotas, Hondas and such don't need brakes or suspension parts or alternators and such.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
How reliable are Chrysler products? And, who makes their hybrid system? LG?
Everybody has different views on reliability, all you have to do is look up what brands have high miles listed for sale. I have purchased used Dodge Caravans and rented them back out to other Uber and Lift drivers, not retiring them until 350K, still looking good inside, bodies showing signs of rust, drive train still running well with just normal maintenance. I have not had the same kind of usage with other brands, so I tend to like the Chrysler brand. It seems other manufacturers products interior and body panels fall apart or begin to look unusually worn before their time. As for the logics of the hybrid system, not sure who actually makes it, but I appears to be a Chrysler patented.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts