Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may go test drive a new car tonight. The model I am looking at comes with a standard gas engine (28 MPG) and also a Hybrid model (38 MPG). The price difference is around $10,000.

If my calculations are correct I would have to drive over 350,000 miles to make it worth it at $3.00 per gallon. Even at $5.00 per gallon I would have to drive 213,000 miles to make up the difference.

What am I missing? I could invest the $10,000 in crypto currency and come out way ahead.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Besides MPG....Hybrids are more comfortable for working. They are quiet, drive smoother, and you can operate the AC with the engine off. You are looking at a Prius or Corolla hybrid, aren't you?

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides MPG....Hybrids are more comfortable for working. They are quiet, drive smoother, and you can operate the AC with the engine off. You are looking at a Prius or Corolla hybrid, aren't you?
Looking at the new Santa Fe Hybrid and I won't be using it for Uber. I really like the size and comfort level of the Santa Fe, it is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever driven. Hopefully the new model is the same. I need to also make sure I can get a tow hitch installed on it to tow a small boat.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Really depends on how many miles per year you drive and if those miles are just highway. Hybrids really add up with city/suburban driving. I can substantially and consistently beat both EPA estimates in the suburbs.

However, a 10mpg delta isn't much and makes the hybrid a tougher sell in the Santa Fe.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
The costs really depend on the brand/model you buy. Back in 11/2019 when I got rid of my 2017 Mazda6 I wanted to get another Mazda6 but my wife suggested a Toyota Camry Hybrid or Honda Accord Hybrid. I could not find any good deals at all on the two. Nothing.

Then I found the Fusion and Ford had massive discounts on the price of the car. Yes the Fusion Plug-in Hybrid Titanium was the most expensive model by far but Ford had incentives that drop the sticker price $8500 and now the car price is reasonable. Thanks to the state of CA, PG&E with actual cash rebates and a very nice federal tax credit the Fusion was basically free for the first 15 months!

If someone is going to buy a new car for full-time ridesharing (I don't recommend doing that at all) the Fusion is a great deal when compared to a non-hybrid if you get the rebates and tax credits. I do this part-time (if that) so for me it worked out very well.

I average over 60MPG and much higher like 216MPG when I didn't do rideshare for a few months in 2020! As a daily driver and occasional road trip car it's super cheap to own.

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Fusion Plug-in Hybrid Titanium
I've said it here before, but I'll say it again. I've never been a Ford guy, but when around this time last year I decided to take a look at a 2013 Fusion Hybrid when browsing for my next car to flip, I was quite impressed. Loaded with pretty much everything but leather a couple of other minor things. Hadn't even researched them, but went ahead and bought it on the spot since the price was right. Drove it for a while and after doing some research, it seemed like a solid thing and decided to offer to trade it for my older daughter's 2006 BMW X3 and she happily took the deal. She now has close to a year and 15K trouble-free miles with it. Mind you, the car now has almost 180K miles and still going strong while getting close to 40mpg.

Then this past weekend I bought a fully loaded 2013 C-Max Hybrid to flip. It's based on Focus so it rides a bit differently, but with the body style it has much better luggage room and yet the interior feels really roomy. Much more so, IMO than a Prius. I know Prius is all the rage, but if somebody doesn't want the baggage that comes with them, I'd definitely recommend the C-Max. Or if somebody just wants to be different. You'll most likely find a newer and lower mileage C-Max for less money than Prius. Just something to consider.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
I've said it here before, but I'll say it again. I've never been a Ford guy, but when around this time last year I decided to take a look at a 2013 Fusion Hybrid when browsing for my next car to flip, I was quite impressed. Loaded with pretty much everything but leather a couple of other minor things. Hadn't even researched them, but went ahead and bought it on the spot since the price was right. Drove it for a while and after doing some research, it seemed like a solid thing and decided to offer to trade it for my older daughter's 2006 BMW X3 and she happily took the deal. She now has close to a year and 15K trouble-free miles with it. Mind you, the car now has almost 180K miles and still going strong while getting close to 40mpg.

Then this past weekend I bought a fully loaded 2013 C-Max Hybrid to flip. It's based on Focus so it rides a bit differently, but with the body style it has much better luggage room and yet the interior feels really roomy. Much more so, IMO than a Prius. I know Prius is all the rage, but if somebody doesn't want the baggage that comes with them, I'd definitely recommend the C-Max. Or if somebody just wants to be different. You'll most likely find a newer and lower mileage C-Max for less money than Prius. Just something to consider.
My mom has a 2015 C-Max Hybrid and loves it. Long before I got my Fusion we borrowed her car for a 150 mile road trip to Vegas for a family event and at first I did all I could to kill off the ECO leaves on display on the dash. But on the way back to her place I saw it as a challenge to get the most leaves and best MPG!

The C-Max would make a great rideshare choice. It's small but the interior room is great and the drivetrain is proven. The Fusion/C-Max have been used in taxi fleets all over the country and have held up very well for those that approach 200k.

·
15,571 Posts
Im getting 35mpg in my gas corolla
I cant get sold on all the extra parts the hybrid adds for the extra mileage...
On the plus side. You get about 3x the brake-pad life, so less maintenance on that end.
I had a 2004 Prius for 8 years. Nothing ever went wrong with it on the gas side or the electric side. I had nearly 200,000 miles on it after the car hit 10 years on-the-road. I bought it used for $16K (in 2006) with 16,000 miles, sold it for $3000 (in 2014) with almost 200,000 miles. The thing was a tank. Saved me a fortune in gasoline. I did the brakes on the vehicle once in my entire ownership. No fun to drive, but it sure saved me a lot of $$ on my wife's 40 mile round-trip commute for most of the ownership of the vehicle.

The point is with Hybrid and EV vehicles: "THE MORE YOU DRIVE, THE MORE YOU SAVE!"

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
The C-Max would make a great rideshare choice.
Very true. And not necessarily something many people think about due to the "all American made cars are shit" attitude. But that leaves the door open for those who want to be different to snag a nice ride for not a lot of money.

If I was to have a RS only vehicle, it would most likely be a C-Max. I think it's pretty damn good value for money. And again, this from a guy who is NOT a Ford guy at all. :biggrin:

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skipped out on the test drive after talking to the dealership. They only had a few Hybrids in and they were not budging on the price. Checked a couple other dealerships and they have not even got any hybrids in yet.

Reactions: TomTheAnt

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
You might want to drop by a Chevy dealer and test drive a Bolt EV. Bypass the hybrid and go 100% electric. Reason being, the deals right now are amazing as GM tries to clear out old inventory on what is a very reliable car. I just picked up a 40K model for 21K.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
My 2015 Honda Accord hybrid gets an average of 44mpg. I bought it for 13k in 2019 with 87,000 miles on it. In my experience, with me driving and maintaining it as I do (YMMV), I get 300k+ out of accords. So for me, worth it. But I wouldn't buy a new one for 35k...

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
My 2015 Honda Accord hybrid gets an average of 44mpg. I bought it for 13k in 2019 with 87,000 miles on it. In my experience, with me driving and maintaining it as I do (YMMV), I get 300k+ out of accords. So for me, worth it. But I wouldn't buy a new one for 35k...
Did you have do do any repairs on your Honda Accord hybrid?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Did you have do do any repairs on your Honda Accord hybrid?
Nothing out of routine. I've driven 73k on it (mileage now 160k). I've replaced two headlight bulbs and bought a set of tires. Oh, and I had a flat repaired. I'm not surprised by this. My previous accord (a 2012 4 cylinder gas accord) I bought with 70k and sold with 300k. Repairs (other than brakes, tires, fluid changes) were limited to 1 trunk spring (that makes the trunk stay up when you open it), and the pump for the window wash.

Note: I drive really soft and easy - the car and the pax both like it that way. And I do ALL recommended maintenance on schedule. Take care of your car and it takes care of you. It also helps that Honda has great engineers.

Another note: I'm aware that Toyota builds at the same quality, I just prefer Honda style.

·
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might want to drop by a Chevy dealer and test drive a Bolt EV. Bypass the hybrid and go 100% electric. Reason being, the deals right now are amazing as GM tries to clear out old inventory on what is a very reliable car. I just picked up a 40K model for 21K.
An all electric is out for me, unless they can get 500 mile range in a mid size SUV I'll pass. I regularly make a 350+ mile trip once a month and I don't want to deal with stopping to charge up.

Reactions: _Tron_

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
An all electric is out for me, unless they can get 500 mile range in a mid size SUV I'll pass. I regularly make a 350+ mile trip once a month and I don't want to deal with stopping to charge up.
Same for me. If I'm running rideshare and have already depleted say half my battery range, I don't want to have to decline a long trip 45+ because of the damn battery.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
When the battery goes bad it could be a very expensive repair. For some cars it can cost in we excess of $4-5,000. Expected life can be as little as 100,000 miles.

Suggest you investigate before buying.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts