Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.

In the airport waiting lot in San Francisco, there's one topic that always sets Uber drivers' tongues wagging: where are the best spots to spend the night sleeping in the car.

There's a McDonald's just down the street that has a spacious parking lot, and drivers say they can stay there overnight, unbothered. For those doing bar runs, there's a Safeway in the Castro district with room to park, although security guards there recently started cracking down on drivers sleeping in their vehicles. The parking lot of Planet Fitness, a gym, is also a popular spot, because drivers can easily take a shower in the morning.

https://www.ft.com/content/c9a8b592-a81d-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Ya'll need to quit that sleeping in your car business. The passengers can often tell. I hear about it all the time. "Homeless drivers".
So. Let them know the nature of the service they use u ****in pax worshiper. Maybe u and yr riders should go live where ur not too good for the people.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
It's just one way uber is continuing its commitment to drivers during its 180 days of sleeping in your car.

The easiest solution to the self-induced homeless problem would be to return driver rates to pre-2016 levels, but that would be too easy.
Get rid of pool and surge will take care of the rest is just as easy.

Reactions: Rickshaw

·
Registered
299 Posts
Agreed. Let the pax know this. I do, and I back it up with an explanation and how uber/lyft caused this problem.
While on the way to the Marina yesterday, a PAX started singing about how great money will be this weekend. I explained to him that drivers from hundreds of miles around drive here to work the market, sleep in their cars and water the business down to nothing. I was pissed, making zip all day, he was real quiet. Yeah, I'm gonna tell every single one that starts yippin" about "how great" Duber is.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Ya'll need to quit that sleeping in your car business. The passengers can often tell. I hear about it all the time. "Homeless drivers".
This is the ugly truth of San Francisco. The majority of Uber's homeless drivers are the ones who're from out of town and can't afford to rent anywhere in SF, Oakland area, or south burbs like Daly City. A lawyer pax once told me they're a special category of homeless the city classified as "transient homeless". So basically, Uber & Lyft are doing the city SF a major disservice. We're adding to the city's growing homeless population--much to the chagrin of the SF mayor who's been trying to get rid of the homeless population for ages now.

Another transient LyfUber migrant camp is the Best Buy parking lot that 's north of 13th street (under the 101 Freeway). Between 9pm to about 5am every weekday, this whole area under the bridge turns into a migrant camp. And it's getting worse because I've seen an increasing number of construction workers in utility trucks squatting there. They buy tents, pitch them near the road and sleep the night. And SF sanctuary city status makes this 1000X worse.

Wonder how the ending of Uber's Xchange program is going to affect the Uber driver population in San Francisco city? On the Bay area peninsula in general? Because technically, all of the subprime renters who were leasing under this will be eliminated. Wonder how that's going to affect supply/demand surges and city traffic volume. The only upside that comes out of this, is the number of pings. This should definitely go up for Uber drivers who own their vehicles or rent/lease from other sources......

Well.

In the airport waiting lot in San Francisco, there's one topic that always sets Uber drivers' tongues wagging: where are the best spots to spend the night sleeping in the car.

There's a McDonald's just down the street that has a spacious parking lot, and drivers say they can stay there overnight, unbothered. For those doing bar runs, there's a Safeway in the Castro district with room to park, although security guards there recently started cracking down on drivers sleeping in their vehicles. The parking lot of Planet Fitness, a gym, is also a popular spot, because drivers can easily take a shower in the morning.

https://www.ft.com/content/c9a8b592-a81d-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97
Gym & shower privileges used to be a good thing until you spilled the beans there....

Facility mgmt will be definitely banning LyfUber drivers from the premises in the near future.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Gym & shower privileges used to be a good thing until you spilled the beans there....
I think I remember that graff from a nearly year old article. I didn't click and OP didn't include the date, but this may be that story. From nearly a year ago. And don't u need to be a member to use a gym & its showers?
if you cant rent a room while driving for uber what on earth are you doing with the cash?!
Keeping it? Cuz they came here to earn it so why give it away. Having the discipline to do without the comfort to cut down their overhead, maybe. Imagine if a certain class of people used a tiny fraction of the grit those drivers use, to cut out their private jet class comforts to free up some cash for like prioritizing abolishing exploitation on Earth.
Cocaine and anti depressants
So operating costs.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
This is the ugly truth of San Francisco. The majority of Uber's homeless drivers are the ones who're from out of town and can't afford to rent anywhere in SF, Oakland area, or south burbs like Daly City. A lawyer pax once told me they're a special category of homeless the city classified as "transient homeless". So basically, Uber & Lyft are doing the city SF a major disservice. We're adding to the city's growing homeless population--much to the chagrin of the SF mayor who's been trying to get rid of the homeless population for ages now.

Another transient LyfUber migrant camp is the Best Buy parking lot that 's north of 13th street (under the 101 Freeway). Between 9pm to about 5am every weekday, this whole area under the bridge turns into a migrant camp. And it's getting worse because I've seen an increasing number of construction workers in utility trucks squatting there. They buy tents, pitch them near the road and sleep the night. And SF sanctuary city status makes this 1000X worse.

Wonder how the ending of Uber's Xchange program is going to affect the Uber driver population in San Francisco city? On the Bay area peninsula in general? Because technically, all of the subprime renters who were leasing under this will be eliminated. Wonder how that's going to affect supply/demand surges and city traffic volume. The only upside that comes out of this, is the number of pings. This should definitely go up for Uber drivers who own their vehicles or rent/lease from other sources......

Facility mgmt will be definitely banning LyfUber drivers from the premises in the near future.
I don't think they are taking the cars back from the drivers that are doing the xchange. I know someone that has it. Also this is the same thing that happened with breeze. Breeze only business model was to lease put cars to drivers. All the people I knew that leased from breeze got to keep their car because they were still under contract.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.