Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I should have waited but am still happy, I picked a couple up at their hotel and took them to South El Monte and it was$18, I picked them up at the rave later and took them back to their hotel and it was $145.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I took some girls out there from Santa Monica at 1.75 surge around 5 p.m., we were almost downtown one says I forgot my I.d. at home. Back to Bundy, head back out to Rosemead 117 minutes, 55 miles $179.00

I saw the 10x surge at midnight, 10 east was not moving, so I kept doing "rain surge" in Santa Monica, not bad!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LAuberX sorry but for today 1.75x and wasted your time 117 min, like nothing all night was surge 10x 12x 13x.even Even in Pasadena was 7x 8x 9x.just only 3 rides and got 1350$.

·
Registered
267 Posts
OMG! I cannot believe this! I could only hope to see that happen in RI. I can't think of ANY even that this state would hold that would warrant such a surge! Were there celebrities at this thing, or what?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
OMG! I cannot believe this! I could only hope to see that happen in RI. I can't think of ANY even that this state would hold that would warrant such a surge! Were there celebrities at this thing, or what?
There were actually 2 events going on the hard fest that is really the Uber demographic, young ravers. And the Beyonce concert at the Rose Bowl that is what 60,000 capacity. Then to top it off in the middle of our 90 degree heat wave we have been having it starts to rain pretty good all over the LA basin. Well if you know anything about LA you know when it rains that is like a natural disaster. So everyone waiting at a bus stop decides to splurge and get a taxi. And many part time Uber drivers who do not like driving in the rain pack it up and turn in for the night.

Result is 13X

I have read articles where Uber can limit the surge to top level. I think the more they lower the every day price and get drivers disgruntled with doing the job all they need to do is let loose one of these surge events to bring in that many more drivers or bring the disgruntled ones back into the fray.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I found some feedback on twitter about the surging last night. Im still looking for some that have words other than explicatives.

In any case, enjoy this while you can. My guess is within a year or two, the CPUC and other regulatory agencies will start putting the lid on some of this. 13x is cool and all for the driver. But it seems like it's just asking for backlash later at the regulatory levels, and perhaps riders as well. In my opinion, in the long term it would better if they capped this between the 4-8x range. This gives more of an impression of self governing. 13 x gives the impression of being out of control.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The whole surge thing is very odd. The high rates were still going when there were tons of cars waiting in Pasadena last night. I was the only car in Pasadena at the beginning of the night when the surge was only 2.5x. I really don't get how it works.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have had a massive number of tickets hit the queue today because of this, from both riders and drivers. Most of us on the CSR side are also of the mind that there needs to be a cap on the surge rates (there isn't one, which is ridiculous).

It's good money for you guys, but also possibly murder for your ratings.

·
Registered
723 Posts
We have had a massive number of tickets hit the queue today because of this, from both riders and drivers. Most of us on the CSR side are also of the mind that there needs to be a cap on the surge rates (there isn't one, which is ridiculous).

Do they tell you exactly what triggers the surge and for how much? Is it the number of people actually requesting in relation to the number of drivers? or just the number of people who open the app? or is it the number of people in an area who have the app whether it's open or not? (I know Android apps have this ability, not sure about iOS apps).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wow, and here I was excited that I made $180 in OC last night.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts

So the lack of supply is something totally out of the control of the drivers doing their best to get out and do as many pick ups as possible. Noble Farlance you recognise that it could be very bad for driver ratings. It's generated heaps of tickets for CSR's and UBER management is still happy to sit on its hands and watch the bun-fights break out.

I just don't get it - why stick with a rating system that's broken and surge pricing that needs a little delicate reprogramming.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The main issue is riders not paying attention. We tell them, when they request a driver, that their trip is being surge priced and what the surge rate is, and give them a basic calculation of how much their trip may cost if they enter the pickup and dropoff locations. They just choose to ignore all of this and go 'okay, whatever', and then pitch a fit after.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.