Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyone consulted an accountant about this issue? Is HST due after 30k on the total fare or your gross from Uber?

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
Has anyone actually filed 2014,2015 years please help us on how you did it.

HST Paid on what you earned, minus your expenses.
Fellow driver DougR have you actually filed yet, or is that what you will be filling i scared of audit i cannot afford audit right now i am swamped with a cruel amount of work.
Cat Font Carnivore Adaptation Felidae

·
Registered
244 Posts
Has anyone actually filed 2014,2015 years please help us on how you did it.

Fellow driver DougR have you actually filed yet, or is that what you will be filling i scared of audit i cannot afford audit right now i am swamped with a cruel amount of work. View attachment 101553
I have not filed yet however I have a tax accountant that I have that files for me.

What is important to remember is that once you start filing uber as revenue source they will expect it next year.... and years to come.

For myself this is a supplement to my business and so I treat it as revenue as to not trigger an audit...

I recall a driver stating the following....

"Do I make money with uber?.... Nope, it pays for a lease payment, fuel and maintenance...puts food on my table and diapers on my kid."

It was a funny statement which I chuckled at. But I also got his point.

Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would double check this. I believe 30k is for gross income. At which point you need to charge hst on the item that put you over the threshold and everything after that. Assuming it's in a 12 month span.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would double check this. I believe 30k is for gross income. At which point you need to charge hst on the item that put you over the threshold and everything after that. Assuming it's in a 12 month span.
So this means 30k or over on pay you actually receive from Uber right? So 36-40k in fares (not including the booking fee)?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So this means 30k or over on pay you actually receive from Uber right?
That's what I would/will do because technically you only gross what you get from uber.

If in reality you did actually gross booking fees etc then pay uber it would be different. The reality is uber charges riders differently despite what they say, you have no access to rider payment information and thus I will not be claiming what uber says I gross.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I would/will do because technically you only gross what you get from uber.

If in reality you did actually gross booking fees etc then pay uber it would be different. The reality is uber charges riders differently despite what they say, you have no access to rider payment information and thus I will not be claiming what uber says I gross.
Uber is such scum aren't they? The real reason they bothered to send those totals.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yup did tax today and paid $4500 HST & CPP

When you do tax, if your income over 30k expect to pay a huge HST fees.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Technically you pay hst on what you bring in but you get back the hst on what you paid in direct costs to earn money.

So if you got from uber $1130, you owe $130 in taxes...

Now if you spent $113 in your direct costs you get back $13.

What you end up remitting would actually be the difference. $130-$13 = $117 to the CRA for your business.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts