Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie driver and poster here. Been finding some awesome information here, and what I found most intriguing is the ways riders will attempt to cheat the system or scam their driver. Not that I'm surprised, I have lost faith in humanity.

So how can uber drivers do their best to keep this from happening?
Things like canceling mid trip to avoid surge or multiple stops and claiming you took them on a long route. I'd like to hear your guys/gals strategies dealing with these folk

I apologize if this has already been addressed in another thread, if so please point me to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Perhaps "prevent" is the wrong word since there will always be people trying to take advantage of other people.

How do we do our best to make sure we don't get shorted on fares

·
Registered
540 Posts
Some scam avoiding advice.

1. Always ask for the riders name especially if your p/u from party, concert, game, ect. If they don't want to give you thier name 1st say "my names ..... and you are?" If they insist that you tell them thier name , say their name instead but then they have to tell you your name.
If all else fails tell them then can check your license plate and you can call the pax to confirm.
This will avoid uber stealers and p/u the wrong pax.

2. If anyone cancels mid trip for any reason stop the car and ask them to exit. Tell them they are no longer covered by ubers insurance and it illegal to proceed.

3 if your worried about an inefficient route report during a multiple stop trip have the pax change the address to every location you stop. If they can't and you are worried send an email to uber right after the trip telling then the pax requested a detour.

I'm sure there are many other scams that can happen to anyone in life you need to use your best judgment and learn from your mistakes.

Most people and pax are nice and don't take advantage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Newbie driver and poster here. Been finding some awesome information here, and what I found most intriguing is the ways riders will attempt to cheat the system or scam their driver. Not that I'm surprised, I have lost faith in humanity.

So how can uber drivers do their best to keep this from happening?
Things like canceling mid trip to avoid surge or multiple stops and claiming you took them on a long route. I'd like to hear your guys/gals strategies dealing with these folk

I apologize if this has already been addressed in another thread, if so please point me to it.

Thanks
To avoid paying surge, some PAX drop the pin outside of surge area. They see you stop at the bogus pickup location and give you a call: "You're at the wrong address! I'm at so-and-so..."

Solution: Swipe "arrived" at bogus location, wait 5 minutes, then cancel "rider no-show." Get paid for their scam.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Preemption is the best policy.

If driving for LYFT, put this in your driver profile. Then, don't talk a lot when you pick them up if you sense they are troublemakers. Keeps em guessing. They'll have read this before your arriving.

"I'm also a reserve police officer for __PD."

Further, if it's late at night or bad area you are liable to see them cancel if they are up to perpetrating a crime.;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if a person does cancel mid trip attempting to avoid surge price, I kindly ask them to either exit or ping me again, the agree and we continue on at regular fare. If I email Uber immediately after will they adjust the whole trip at surge price? Or am I S.O.L. and better off kicking them out?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Haha! That's pretty clever, but I wonder is there's some way you can get in trouble for "impersonating an officer" ?
No........because anyone can say they are a cop.........but dressing up like one and doing stops is what gets you into trouble by impersonating police

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
If they cancel on you mid trip on a surge, make them ping again... Whatever the surge is, ignore it and let the next driver pick it up. They're SOL if the next driver is 20 min away. That's when you go offline and tell them that they're not covered by insurance if anything happens.

Essentially telling them to GTFO... Politely, of course. They'll learn never to do that again.

So if a person does cancel mid trip attempting to avoid surge price, I kindly ask them to either exit or ping me again, the agree and we continue on at regular fare. If I email Uber immediately after will they adjust the whole trip at surge price? Or am I S.O.L. and better off kicking them out?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm a reserve officer.

Loan officer
Truant officer
Chief Operating officer

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
If they cancel on you mid trip on a surge, make them ping again... Whatever the surge is, ignore it and let the next driver pick it up. They're SOL if the next driver is 20 min away. That's when you go offline and tell them that they're not covered by insurance if anything happens.

Essentially telling them to GTFO... Politely, of course. They'll learn never to do that again.
Yeah, I had someone do that with his girlfriend once, was pretty funny. We get outside surge area, they tell me they are going to cancel and rerequest so that they don't have to pay the surge. No worries I say in my happy idiot voice, let me pull over. Pull over, and I ended the ride for them. I watch them rate me 5 star and then they request. I get the ping but don't accept, they get another driver 10 minutes away. They cancel that and ask me why I'm not getting the ride request and I laughed and explained that I didn't accept it because I'll make more money heading back downtown to get another ride, please get out!! F em.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
No worries I say in my happy idiot voice
Always worth a treat! When pulling that voice, those idiots will never know what hits them next :D They think they're smart till the one who pretends to be a "happy idiot" shows that he's smarter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Some cheap skates will order uberx when they have more than 4 pax hoping the driver will let it slide(don't do it, it's not worth the ticket) I'm an xl so I just send uber message and they get charged xl rate. It happens all the time.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
^^^^^ the "oh you're xl, I've got a few more people coming" happens almost daily. Then when they adjust the fare, I'm sure your rating goes down a star.

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
^^^^^ the "oh you're xl, I've got a few more people coming" happens almost daily. Then when they adjust the fare, I'm sure your rating goes down a star.
Hadn't thought about that, I'm sure you are right. Since you have 48 hours to put an adjustment in, perhaps you can diminish the effect by waiting till next day to put in the adjustment.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
"I'm also a reserve police officer for __PD."
I wonder is there's some way you can get in trouble for "impersonating an officer" ?
Really not advisable IMO, even if "anyone can say it" as someone mentioned. That's still just asking for trouble.

Whatever the surge is, ignore it and let the next driver pick it up. They're SOL if the next driver is 20 min away.
Wouldn't happen here, drivers are bumper to bumper it seems, they'd easily get another driver, I had a kid cancel mid trip but he was pretty drunk so I let it slide. Pulled over, re-requested and he paid the 1.9x again.

Yeah, I had someone do that with his girlfriend once, was pretty funny. We get outside surge area, they tell me they are going to cancel and rerequest so that they don't have to pay the surge. No worries I say in my happy idiot voice, let me pull over. Pull over, and I ended the ride for them. I watch them rate me 5 star and then they request. I get the ping but don't accept, they get another driver 10 minutes away. They cancel that and ask me why I'm not getting the ride request and I laughed and explained that I didn't accept it because I'll make more money heading back downtown to get another ride, please get out!! F em.
Dude that is epic lol

Reactions: iUBERdc
1 - 18 of 18 Posts