Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where To Wait For Pings:
Nelson Rd(you will get pings 1st here) just look for the drivers lined up and wait your turn.

Picking Up at Term2(every flight but southwest):
Have a pre prepared text to send to the rider letting them know to meet you in the parking deck. Make sure you tell them To tell you if they see cops around. If they see cops in the garage just cancel. Iv done this and it works great. Just send the text telling the rider to go to the top of term and walk across the walkway to the parking deck. Call them when your there and meet up. You can also just call them and relay this info.

Picking up at term1(southwest flights only): call or text the rider letting them know to meet you at prearranged services sign1. Have them walk over to the shuttle pick up side and go all the way to the left. This area is out of the way of Sgt. Segway and his fellow traffic cops.

Dropping Off:
For term2 flights(everything,but southwest) drop off in the deck(The guest can easily walk over to the ticketing area from there). For term1 flights(southwest) drop off at the Prearranged services sign1. Have the pax move fast.

Important Reminders:
Hide Uber phone/Lyft stache.
Let pax get there own luggage.
15 min grace period so you should never have to pay for parking.
Always use the self payment check out term when leaving the garage.
If you see a traffic cop coming roll up your windows, ignore them and quickly leave safely.

Happy Ubering :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for laying it out Monkey. I haven't worked RDU in awhile since its died down a bit for the summer, but once school lets out I'll be back in the parking deck making money, and there's no way in paying for tags.

Considering that I can pick up a friend in my car with no tags then I can pick up anybody in my car with no tags. My car is not a taxi. I am no taxi driver. Uber makes that distinction very clear. I won't pay a dime for for hire plates on general principal alone.

And as far as ratting out other drivers, with comments in other threads like this;

"Hey whaa the rats tag no. goes to ground transportation via text and a weekly update via e-mail, soon all the old rats and new rats who don't want to pay to play will be ticketed. So rocksteady, see ya in the trap"

It's pretty clear that moth turd is one of the snitches texting tags to the cops. And he's the one calling us rats...I'm pretty sure he has no idea what he word means....

The irony.

I'm also willing to bet that most of the suckers that bought plates are ex taxi drivers that were losing money to Uber, so they switched over and sit around wallowing in their salty bitterness. They can cry all they want. I'll be at he airport just to spite them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I notice there's usually around 4-5 drivers off Nelson and one or none at sheetz.
That would mean wait at Nelson?
I gave up "waiting" around the airport a long time ago. If I'm in the area after dropping somebody off, or I get a ping to take somebody there so won't say no, but to do strictly airport runs is a waste in my opinion. The most you'll get is a $20 ride, and with the time it takes you to get back you might get one of those in an hour. Because of this reason alone I haven't been to RDU since February.

Once the kids come back I'm sure I'll be out there as there's money to be made once they start going home and coming back for the holidays, I made more picking kids up at RDU and the Amtrak station the Sunday after Thanksgiving weekend then I did the other 3 days of the weekend combined. You can kill it at either place during the school year. But for now the money just doesn't justify camping out.

You're better off in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs taking people downtown. Especially on the weekends when the crowd "flips"'. Between 9-11 the dinner crowd goes home and the drunks come out. You can pick someone up in Cary, take them downtown, take somebody from downtown back to the 'burbs and then get a return trip. You can run this for hours and have a pretty good night. Catch a breather from 12-1:30 and get ready for the surge. I refuse to accept rides after 1:30 until the surge hits at least 2.0 on a Friday or Saturday. I've been burned before by taking a ride around 1:40 out to Apex or some place 30 minutes away, and by the time I've made it back I've missed the peak of the surge. So now I just go offline at 1:30 and use the pax app see what's going on.

It's by far the best way to make money right now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I generally run 13-15/hr right now driving around downtown and Cameron Village. 20/hr around the airport doesn't sound bad
$20 an hour is the "high" end. A trip to Durham, especially to Duke's campus is a bit less than that.

Keep in mind that RDU isn't JFK or O'hare. It's not a major airport. You won't get the steady rides you'll get in another city there. You might make $20 in " an"hour but it's hard to make $20 "per"hour. At last until the school year starts anyways. Then all bets are off.

I guarantee the people that paid for plates and transponders are losing money this summer. And instead of taking personal responsibly for their stupid decision to invest in the plates to be "legal" they'd rather blame the drivers that had the sense not to waste the money just to earn 85 cents a mile.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You kinda answered your own question with the "company with a permit to do so".

No matter where you pick up at RDU, if you don't abide by their rules, such as having permits or plates or whatever they accept, you run the risk of getting a ticket. Right now the parking deck is the safest as the cops never see your car. Any place you stop where your car is in plain view of the police while picking up or dropping off a passenger brings the risk you will get a ticket.

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
I'm with you BKNY75 I simply can't believe that folks are still picking up rides at 1:40am Friday or Saturday night for a straight fare, WTF???? If you sit off line, you can tell when it's going to pop on the passenger app, the wait times starts climbing and a minute after it hits 10 minutes on Fayetteville Street, the surge comes out if yahoos aren't rushing in. Not that hard folks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My room mate got his first citation last night in the parking deck. It went down like this: Pax goes out to curb, pulls out phone, connects to app, requests ride. Drive makes "the call", arranges to meet in parking deck. Pax says RDU cops & rentacops are harassing pax & vehicles at curb side pick up area. Pax walks upstairs to deck meets driver. as pax gets into vehicle, Captain Segway rolls up and goes all gestapo on driver, writes ticket. Pax says Capt. Segway followed him up to parking deck. Parking deck may be compromised.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My room mate got his first citation last night in the parking deck. It went down like this: Pax goes out to curb, pulls out phone, connects to app, requests ride. Drive makes "the call", arranges to meet in parking deck. Pax says RDU cops & rentacops are harassing pax & vehicles at curb side pick up area. Pax walks upstairs to deck meets driver. as pax gets into vehicle, Captain Segway rolls up and goes all gestapo on driver, writes ticket. Pax says Capt. Segway followed him up to parking deck. Parking deck may be compromised.
First of all a tip of the cap for the Thundarr avi.
That cartoon was amazing.

Anyways, like I said earlier it's been a while since I did any airport rides so I can't comment on how things are going these days.

However, while I always parked in the parking deck I never actually picked people up there. I always contacted them before I got there and had them meet me inside, at the baggage a claim and we walked out together, just like any other family member or friends leaving the airport. This also ensured that any talk about uber was had inside, away from the cops since they're all creeping around outdoors.

And like Monkey said earlier, text the passenger.

By calling you're setting yourself up for a cop eavesdropping on the other end and waiting for you, which is what sounds like might have contributed to your roommates misfortune.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Alert the Deck is compromised I repeat the deck is compromised.I have seen Sgt. Segway following pax to the garage to bust drives. All uber drivers retreat to level G1 in the parking Deck. Sgt. Segway and those Uber double agent for hire ****** bags(you know who you are) might have won the battle but not the war!

New plan of attack from General Lag Monkey:

text the rider to meet you in the deck and make sure you ask them to tell you if they are being followed by traffic Cops. Once the pax is there have them meet you on level G1 of the parking Deck(it's on the second floor of the deck and out of sight). Call pax and tell them to take the elevator to meet you in there. The elevator is In the parking payment area. Don't tell them about the elevator until the pax is on the deck so they want get confused and cancel its super easy to find. Make sure it's the elevator in the parking payment area(Very important) Iv been doing this successfully for months with no problem.

Good luck soldiers.
Gen.Lag Monkey out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In three months, I've picked up two different passengers at the airport, and was harassed once (but not ticketed). Even if Uber will pay for the citation, it's not worth my offline time to harass Uber to do so. I have never had problems with drop-offs at either terminal, even when doing so right in front of one of the cops.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I haven't been ticketed yet. And have made thousands off of airport runs. They are quite lucrative. Just follow my protips and you should be fine. It's very important the rider knows to text you if they see cops and to pick up on level G1 so your out of site and hidden. Also never risk It if you feel funny about the pick up. Just cancel and live to drive another day.

Also supposedly there is this fat white guy. Will call him Jubba the ****, because he's fugly and kinda looks like the star wars character. He's also ****ing up everything so the name is fitting. Anyways, this Jabba the **** guy is supposedly passing drivers plate info to RDU he drives a tan Camry and wears Hawaiian shirts. Don't confront or talk to him he's not nice and is always looking to start stuff. If he threatens you just tell Uber. Hopefully they will fire this guy. He's screwing up RDU for everyone.

Anyways stay safe out there my Uber Family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alert the Deck is compromised I repeat the deck is compromised.I have seen Sgt. Segway following pax to the garage to bust drives. All uber drivers retreat to level G1 in the parking Deck. Sgt. Segway and those Uber double agent for hire ****** bags(you know who you are) might have won the battle but not the war!

New plan of attack from General Lag Monkey:

text the rider to meet you in the deck and make sure you ask them to tell you if they are being followed by traffic Cops. Once the pax is there have them meet you on level G1 of the parking Deck(it's on the second floor of the deck and out of sight). Call pax and tell them to take the elevator to meet you in there. The elevator is In the parking payment area. Don't tell them about the elevator until the pax is on the deck so they want get confused and cancel its super easy to find. Make sure it's the elevator in the parking payment area(Very important) Iv been doing this successfully for months with no problem.

Good luck soldiers.
Gen.Lag Monkey out.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.