Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

Premium Member
My philosophy is that I drove for Uber for 4 years, every year it got worse on the pay.
This year when I did my taxes, I got royally screwed over by Uber.
The deductions that I was able to claim, was 1/2 of my online miles, and my cell phone.
Couldn't claim car payment, rideshare insurance, maintenance, my loss of gas costs due to only claiming 1/2 of my online miles. My monthly car wash costs.
Besides I had to pay self-employment taxes. BS!!
WAKE UP PEOPLE, UBER GETS AROUND ALL LOOPHOLES TO SCREW THEIR DRIVERS OVER.
THEREFORE, UBER I QUIT!!
You need a new tax person.

Premium Member
The feds will audit you in a heartbeat If you use one vehicle.
nope. Use an app to record mileage, be able to produce the report. IRS says thankyou.

Having dedicated RS vehicle is great if that is your only car. But to have 2? Insurance cost kinda kills that option right there. Well maybe not for a full timer, but everybody else.....

Maintain your own records.
Keep a mileage log
............all of the above.

For the cab, the trip sheet has a space for beginning and ending mileage. If there is any excess mileage, I note it at the top of the trip sheet and keep a running total. Those are non-business miles. For the Uber/Lyft car, I have a notebook. Every day that I work, I note the date and beginning mileage. At the end of the day, I note the closing mileage. I keep a running total of the gap miles. Those are the non-business miles. For each day, I also note drop off time and the pittance paid by Fubar or Gryft for each trip. It is like an abbreviated cab trip sheet.

Update this thread in couple months.
Most of the dilettantes here do not understand how much money they are losing running these time-consuming, unprofitable trips. For those of us who know our market, we use this to avoid those jobs. Let the ants run those jobs. They have ants for a reason.

Premium Member
Here is my method to making money with Uber.
#1. Use a hybrid vehicle to Uber, saving money on gas.
#2 Have a personal vehicle for shopping/dating/vacations etc.
#3. Uber reports to the Feds your mileage and earnings. Your mileage is from pickup to dropoff. But since you have a personal car, you can deduct all miles on the hybrid. Pickup to dropoff as well a dropoff to pickup.
HID YAALL GOT IT??
You can get a date being an UBER driver???

Premium Member
OP, that's for the chuckle.. now polish up that cv and go find a job
Exactly what I did. And they were amazed that I submitted a resume and appeared wearing a suit.

Rough start, arguably, but now driving pax that have been absolutely awesome (so far) around in someone else's fancy car. Update on that tomorrow under Stories.

SNAFU with my W4, my wife grabbed it (she's an auditor) and filled it in - listing future and past income ($10k YTD plus forecasted) from RS. I haven't driven RS since I was hired.

Gross was around $400 for three trips (one of which had a wait time of arrival three hours, no biggie - I was on the clock), net was $138! Yeah, going to fix that tomorrow. 馃ぃ

Best way to earn more? Find a company like the one I now work for. It's essentially the same gig but wearing a suit. Tell them you're comfortable with smaller vehicles to start. And trust me, they're likely hurting for drivers.

Still going to do RS, I'm only doing weekends for these folks right now - maybe FT in the future. But my car is enjoying a break.

Premium Member
Look into ubertaxi.

I get $1.34 a mile more doing ubertaxi than I would hypothetically get on uberX.

That amounts to $116 to more a day in revenue in my market than uberX.

Even with gas prices super high for the summer I'm still at barely $105 for a 12 hour shift in expenses.

So if i'm making $116 more a day driving a taxi with $105 in expenses.... I think the math is better in a taxi here....

My philosophy is that I drove for Uber for 4 years, every year it got worse on the pay.
This year when I did my taxes, I got royally screwed over by Uber.
The deductions that I was able to claim, was 1/2 of my online miles, and my cell phone.
Couldn't claim car payment, rideshare insurance, maintenance, my loss of gas costs due to only claiming 1/2 of my online miles. My monthly car wash costs.
Besides I had to pay self-employment taxes. BS!!
WAKE UP PEOPLE, UBER GETS AROUND ALL LOOPHOLES TO SCREW THEIR DRIVERS OVER.
THEREFORE, UBER I QUIT!!
How did Uber screw you over on taxes, they don't do your taxes. Sounds like you screwed yourself by not doing your taxes properly.

You might want to be careful about the home office thing though. The IRS is pretty well known for watching that one closely.

Can you claim a deduction for a home office? Sure. Might not be worth the hassle though.
I think most people get greedy with the home office claim. I keep mine simple and consistent year to year and I actually do have a small office area that fits the size I claim.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Premium Member
How much are the pay rates in Jacksonville?
.65...ooops. Lowered during pandemic....so

.61 mile

.09 min time

3.91 cancel

.25 waiting time on 3 min. of the 5 min or longer

3.20 base for x

5.51 base for black
2.31 booking fee
3.65 airport surcharge

Not sure on xl

Premium Member
Yeah, there is. To help you out on doing the math, only 15% of yearly net profit can be contributed to an SEP-IRA.
View attachment 600762

Did no one follow the Tutorial?
Can鈥檛 really say I鈥檓 shocked though.
There's so much money in it yet you bailed out. That speaks volumes.

People don't walk away from a good-paying job with flexible hours unless they've come into A LOT OF MONEY.

$50/hr jobs in which you can work when you want don't grow on trees.

You also didn't tell ALL of your "secrets". You left out at least one, which is SCREENING of rides.

DFs alone are not enough to allow a driver to remain in a limited work area, especially with all of the various bonuses you've talked about maniacally chasing over the years. All it takes is one destination out of the small area to blow your bonus pay plans out of the water. That's where screening rides comes into the picture.

Premium Member
Some as in less than 10% of drivers.

The 97% yearly turnover shows that paying drivers 1979 taxi rates prevents all but a small handful of drivers from "making it work".
Yep.

Seems that over 90% of small businesses fail within a couple of years.

However, those small business owners are not clamoring for employee status

If drivers can not learn to be profitable, it is in their best interest to move on.

Premium Member
Yep.

Seems that over 90% of small businesses fail within a couple of years.

However, those small business owners are not clamoring for employee status

If drivers can not learn to be profitable, it is in their best interest to move on.
Signing up to drive is in no way shape or form like starting and operating a small business. I've done both.

Just like a W2 driver, you're totally dependent on a company for your work. You have no customers of your own. You don't price your labor, you don't promote your business, you don't advertise, and you neither have nor can build a customer base. You're a laborer with flexible work hours.

This gig business model of burning thru hundreds of thousands of immigrant drivers per year is not sustainable. Eventually the taxpayers and/or the govt are gonna finally put their feet down.

The taxpayers have to cough up billions of dollars per year in Medicaid, Food Stamps, Welfare, and Section 8 housing assistance to help support hundreds of thousands of drivers unable to support themselves and their families on 1970s taxi rates.

And the fact that a small number of drivers are able to pick around the edges and exploit the loopholes in the systems of these companies doesn't change the above points.

Premium Member
Some as in less than 10% of drivers.

The 97% yearly turnover shows that paying drivers 1979 taxi rates prevents all but a small handful of drivers from "making it work".
Ya "us 10%" dont rank?

Maybe you should say I'm in the 90 percentile of people who can't make it in rideshare.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts