Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hustling uberX in DC since the summer of 2013 but I’ve finally graduated and am now officially out of the game. My gross hourly when I started was always $30+/hr and ended up at $50+/hr when I finally finished. Lots of ebb & flow in those earnings over the past 8 years and the early 2019 federal government shutdown almost did me in. Anyways, my secrets are now your secrets...here’s how to actually make money at this gig:

Easy-Mode Tutorial
1) Get into some heavy surge
2) Set a short destination filter, ~3 to 5 miles max (toward CBDs/airports 5-9am and toward dense residential areas 3-7pm on weekdays, toward an area with lots of bars/restaurants early in the evening then again toward dense residential areas later in the evening every day of the week)
3) Accept a proper surged ping
4) Turn off the filter
5) Tap ‘Stop New Requests’
6) Pick up the rider and complete the trip
7) Reassess the map
8) Go back to Step 1 and repeat as many times as possible until you get tired, max out on driving time, or until the pings stop

You’re welcome! And good luck!!

Advanced Tutorial
To keep streaks intact, to immediately catch any existing surge at your rider’s drop-off, and to catch the highest sticky surge shown on the map without getting bombarded by lesser surged pings on the way there:
1) Pick up the biggest surge shown on the map by having your Preferences set to only the least likely request in your area (pic below)
2) Set a short destination filter
3) Turn uberX ON in your Preferences
4) Accept a proper surged ping
5) Turn off the filter
6) Adjust your Preferences back down to only the least likely request available (pic below)
7) Pick up the rider and complete the trip
8) Reassess the map
9) Go back to Step 1 and repeat as many times as possible until you get tired, max out on driving time, or until the pings stop

·
Premium Member
8,642 Posts
Been hustling uberX in DC since the summer of 2013 but I’ve finally graduated and am now officially out of the game. My gross hourly when I started was always $30+/hr and ended up at $50+/hr when I finally finished. Lots of ebb & flow in those earnings over the past 8 years and the early 2019 federal government shutdown almost did me in. Anyways, my secrets are now your secrets...here’s how to actually make money at this gig:

Easy-Mode Tutorial
2) Set a short destination filter, ~3 to 5 miles max (toward CBDs/airports 5-9am and toward dense residential areas 3-7pm on weekdays, toward an area with lots of bars/restaurants early in the evening then again toward dense residential areas later in the evening every day of the week)
4) Turn off the filter
7) Reassess the map
8) Go back to Step 1 and repeat as many times as possible until you get tired, max out on driving time, or until the pings stop

Advanced Tutorial
To keep streaks intact, to immediately catch any existing surge at your rider’s drop-off, and to catch the highest sticky surge shown on the map without getting bombarded by lesser surged pings on the way there:
1) Pick up the biggest surge shown on the map by having your Preferences set to only the least likely request in your area (pic below)
5) Turn off the filter
6) Adjust your Preferences back down to only the least likely request available (pic below)
8) Reassess the map
9) Go back to Step 1 and repeat as many times as possible until you get tired, max out on driving time, or until the pings stop

View attachment 599157

Your technique is good to maximize the short trips with sticky surge. However, you can only do these 2 times a day max, as you are only given 2 destination filters per day to use.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your technique is good to maximize the short trips with sticky surge. However, you can only do these 2 times a day max, as you are only given 2 destination filters per day to use.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Follow the steps EXACTLY.
See for yourself what happens.
Uber was being overly generous with two daily destination filters, as I only needed one.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Ltd
75 Posts

Easy-Mode Tutorial
4) Turn off the filter
7) Reassess the map

Advanced Tutorial
5) Turn off the filter
8) Reassess the map

View attachment 599157
Here is my method to making money with Uber.
#1. Use a hybrid vehicle to Uber, saving money on gas.
#2 Have a personal vehicle for shopping/dating/vacations etc.
#3. Uber reports to the Feds your mileage and earnings. Your mileage is from pickup to dropoff. But since you have a personal car, you can deduct all miles on the hybrid. Pickup to dropoff as well a dropoff to pickup.
HID YAALL GOT IT??

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Pick up the biggest surge shown on the map by having your Preferences set to only the least likely request in your area (pic below)
Seems in my market when using this strategy, you lose the sticky-surge by activating UberX.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Strategic use of logging off and destination filters is a must. If I just picked up a surge, and the destination is likely in the surge zone, I immediately log off, then reassess the map after drop off. I use the destination filter to stop me from getting out of area trips when it's getting close to quitting time. I do not expect that the destination filter will take me home, it never does, so I can usually do several local trips before just logging off and driving home.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
#3. Uber reports to the Feds your mileage and earnings. Your mileage is from pickup to dropoff. But since you have a personal car, you can deduct all miles on the hybrid. Pickup to dropoff as well a dropoff to pickup.
HID YAALL GOT IT??
Even if you have just one car, for business and personal use, you can deduct all your business mileage. Just keep an accurate mileage log

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HID YAALL GOT IT??
Close, but not quite.
#1. Drive uber with the cheapest car possible. Not sure where this myth of a hybrid vehicle saving you money comes from. Yes, you save on gas and help the environment but it takes over 100,000 miles to break even on costs as a vehicle with a hybrid engine is on average $4500 more expensive upfront when compared to a similar model with a traditional ICE.

#2. This is overkill and way more expensive. Paying for double registrations, inspections, insurance, personal property tax, etc. etc. A single vehicle can get all your business and personal use accomplished.

#3. Track your mileage from your driveway back to the driveway on your uber “shift” always. If you uber with a filter on the way to your regular day job, count those miles too.

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts

Easy-Mode Tutorial
4) Turn off the filter
7) Reassess the map

Advanced Tutorial
5) Turn off the filter
8) Reassess the map

View attachment 599157
Curiouser and curiouser.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
How to make money driving Uber?

Don't drive Uber.
Sell your car.
Call an Uber to go anywhere.
It's cheaper than owning the car.
My philosophy is that I drove for Uber for 4 years, every year it got worse on the pay.
This year when I did my taxes, I got royally screwed over by Uber.
The deductions that I was able to claim, was 1/2 of my online miles, and my cell phone.
Couldn't claim car payment, rideshare insurance, maintenance, my loss of gas costs due to only claiming 1/2 of my online miles. My monthly car wash costs.
Besides I had to pay self-employment taxes. BS!!
WAKE UP PEOPLE, UBER GETS AROUND ALL LOOPHOLES TO SCREW THEIR DRIVERS OVER.
THEREFORE, UBER I QUIT!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The deductions that I was able to claim, was 1/2 of my online miles, and my cell phone.
Why did you only claim 50% of your miles? Never use the miles that Uber gives you. Maintain your own records. Every mile you drive on your Uber "shift" is deductable. Driveway (parking spot) to driveway (parking spot).

[NG]Owner

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
The feds will audit you in a heartbeat If you use one vehicle.
Nonsense

but even if they do,, with a mileage log you will prevail

It wasnt mileage related, but the irs sent me a bill for $12000. because I hadnt reported $35000 of income. Turned out that this money was reported to the IRS as self employment income when it was actually capital gains,

I sent them a letter and supporting documentation telling them that. And they sent back a new statement showing I owed them $0

So my message is: Keep a mileage log

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
My philosophy is that I drove for Uber for 4 years, every year it got worse on the pay.
Couldn't claim car payment, rideshare insurance, maintenance, my loss of gas costs due to only claiming 1/2 of my online miles. My monthly car wash costs.
Besides I had to pay self-employment taxes. BS!!
WAKE UP PEOPLE, UBER GETS AROUND ALL LOOPHOLES TO SCREW THEIR DRIVERS OVER.
THEREFORE, UBER I QUIT!!
You can use the standard mileage deduction or you can claim your actual expenses, but you cant claim both

1 - 20 of 90 Posts