Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I received more tips when driving my last vehicle, which was an old 2002 Mazda, verses my now 2009 Toyota.

Could it be possible that riders feel sorry for the driver and his/her car that they somehow feel the need to tip/donate towards a better or newer car?

Maybe we should drive an old 2000/2001 "beater" in order to make better/more tips?

* 2000 model year vehicles are acceptable only in certain areas. Restrictions may apply.

·
24,224 Posts
I might feel sorry for you and tip you, but if you came in a Mazda............never mind, if I see that it is a Mazda that is coming, I will cancel and try again. I hate Mazdas. No room for passengers or drivers. I had thought that a Prius was bad, I would rather five Priusses than one Mazda any day.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Reading about people that cancel uberX rides based on the car really irritates me. Just get in and get to where you need to be if you want a better car stop being so cheap and order a ****ing select, right?

As far as tips go, either that person is a tipper or isn't. One could argue that someone would tip for being in a nicer car simply out of appreciation. One might also argue that someone would tip in a less nicer car simply due to empathy. Who knows?

All I know from working in restaurants for over 20 years is that even people with plenty of money sometimes do not tip, even if the service was stellar.. and sometimes people that can't afford to tip will sometimes over tip even if the service wasn't that great.

Most people now are so hung up on vanity and they expect a ****ing RR phantom picking them up for a $5 fare.

If you get a tip be surprised. Never expect it. Once you learn that you will be less prone to being disappointed.

People tip because of their appreciation, mostly. Providing the best quality of service you can is all you can do. Tipping is not an entitlement and should never be expected nor anticipated.

Most people won't tip because Uber tells them not to. Why would the sheople tip when they've been told that the Uber drivers are making a killing?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I noticed I get tips in the suburbs and never in the city. Tips are big too. Only problem with that is there are not too many pings out in the suburbs :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I might feel sorry for you and tip you, but if you came in a Mazda............never mind, if I see that it is a Mazda that is coming, I will cancel and try again. I hate Mazdas. No room for passengers or drivers. I had thought that a Prius was bad, I would rather five Priusses than one Mazda any day.
Hmmmm but Mazda is great starter vehicle for someone getting into gig and doesn't want to invest. I literally bought this 2007 Mazda 3 gs for 2500 and I put 600 into it for brakes. At this point I'm making no profits. I find though my city is over saturated with drivers as there's fewer demand.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Casually state, Hmmm nice place you live in, ever watch american horror story? Then go through the Uber tip controversy, them state, "oh, I'm really not soliciting a tip". Then say you collect edged weapons...........:cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have people tell me to bad tipping is "illegal" what? people think its illegal? I of course correct them but of course they don't believe me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I did the same once and rated the ***** a 2*. She already had a 4.1 to begin with. Her friend was pleasant throughout the ride and just trying to be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel that if someone wants to tip you they will tip you period with the option for cash or on the app itself. I have gotten tipped and I have appreciated each one. I think that if the service was attentive, friendly and good you should regardless of the type of car, it's just like tipping your waiter, bartender, etc...

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Bartenders and waiters make like less than minimum wage before tips so they depend on tips.
And that's different from Uber drivers in many markets how?

Oh yeah, they qualify for unemployment and work men's comp and don't have to pay self employment taxes.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
And that's different from Uber drivers in many markets how?

Oh yeah, they qualify for unemployment and work men's comp and don't have to pay self employment taxes.
They are EMPLOYEES not CONTRACTORS.

You make $4/hr? If so, I would reevaluate my life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had two people in my car and at the end of the ride one of the pax told the other "They can't accept tips!" as they were fumbling for cash.

I piped up: Oh yes, we absolutely can. And they are greatly appreciated.
I'll remember that the next time one rider tells another one we aren't supposed to be tipped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bartenders and waiters make like less than minimum wage before tips so they depend on tips.
They make a lot less than minimum wage. Minimum wage is $7.25 but for food servers it is $2/hour! In this discussion about tips, people forget tips is an acronym. it is actually TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here'san idea, engage in a conversation about Uber, all most all pax will gladly chat about the service. Talk about the affordability of uber compaired to triditional cabs as the pax will certainly agree, then tell the pax,"even if uber adds the tip feature to the app. It will still be affordable" (you could throw in a "wouldn't you agree"). It may spark a response such as " oh I thought the tip was already included " thus opening the door for correction and possible tips.
Another phrase worth spouting within the triditional cab part of the conversation , "cabs cost 3 times as much plus they get tips"....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I sure wish I had known about this forum before I signed up to be an Uber driver. First of all, I could have gotten a signing bonus for signing up. Secondly, I would have gotten good ideas like this.

This past weekend I had a customer who was talking about how much better Uber is than cabs. This would have been great to know then.

BTW, why do some people post about "Pax". I know Pax means "peace", but that doesn't make sense in this context.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pax is an industry term for Passenger.

I sure wish I had known about this forum before I signed up to be an Uber driver. First of all, I could have gotten a signing bonus for signing up. Secondly, I would have gotten good ideas like this.

This past weekend I had a customer who was talking about how much better Uber is than cabs. This would have been great to know then.

BTW, why do some people post about "Pax". I know Pax means "peace", but that doesn't make sense in this context.
ax

·
Registered
113 Posts
They make a lot less than minimum wage. Minimum wage is $7.25 but for food servers it is $2/hour! In this discussion about tips, people forget tips is an acronym. it is actually TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.
Actually it would be To ENSURE Prompt Service. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts