Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know this covers a wide variety of situations.
Many times if someone appears with a big soda in a restaurant cup w/cap and straw; I'll just keep right on driving.
My thinking is this. If I ask them to get rid of it we're already off on the wrong foot and they're going to rate me poorly.

No one has ever spilled anything in my car, I like to keep the possibility of that real low.

One variation appeared today, pax with a can of beer. He asked me up front if he could bring it.
I said, "No".
Was that the reason there was no tip. Wonder how many stars I got.

If you don't mind pax with drinks, I'd rather you just stayed out of the thread.

I'm interested in the methods of those who prefer to keep beverages out of the car.

BTW, I am for sale. If you're a SELECT pax I'm much easier to deal with..

· Registered
2,982 Posts
Many times if someone appears with a big soda in a restaurant cup w/cap and straw; I'll just keep right on driving.
My thinking is this. If I ask them to get rid of it we're already off on the wrong foot and they're going to rate me poorly.

No one has ever spilled anything in my car, I like to keep the possibility of that real low.

One variation appeared today, pax with a can of beer. He asked me up front if he could bring it.
I said, "No".

If you don't mind pax with drinks, I'd rather you just stayed out of the thread.

I'm interested in the methods of those who prefer to keep beverages out of the car.

Allowed:
Twist top container.
Not allowed:
Solo, cups w/o lids, open cans?

Pax are entitled to 1 seat & 1 seatbelt.
I still maintain 4.94 - 5.0 rating.

· Premium Member
26,818 Posts
I do not mind coffee cups, soda bottles or cans or similar as long as they are not in the hands of children. Children tend to be careless. That is simply the nature of the beast.

Alcohol is not allowed as it is illegal. In all three states in this Metropolitan Area, the driver is held responsible. It is assumed that a blue or red Solo cup contains alcohol.

You just tell them to pour it out. I they balk, shuffle them.

· Registered
3,483 Posts
Open beer is illegal, and the driver will get the ticket. At least in my market.
I don’t ask, I tell them they cannot bring it in the car. I should hear the word sorry in their response If I get any sign of disrespect or disregard for me or my vehicle or my legal status as a driver, I cancel the ride.

If I found out that I was doing something that could get somebody else a citation, I would be sorry. If they are not sorry, that is a big red flag, and the least you can expect is that you are going to be downrated.

Having said that, some drivers seem to be able to schmooz the pax during the ride and get a tip in the end. I am not one of those people.

· Registered
321 Posts
Alcohol goes in the bed, absolutely none in cab, open or opened containers left behind. I won't even allow to be poured out and empty put into my trash can. No glass inside cab, incl 'Mexican' Cokes.

· Premium Member
11,468 Posts
Sorry, can't do alcohol in the car, I'll be happy to wait for you. That usually works, they chug and we go. I will explain that I get ticket if they object. When they say I'll pay the ticket, I say fine, give me 200 to hold. I'll give it back if we get there without a ticket.

· Registered
314 Posts
With the bad Uber/Lyft drivers in my area, NO DRINKS, not even if it has a lid. The only way they get a drink Is if they go through drive thru.

The cops here don't like Ubers because the new ones don't understand where to drop pax off. And the older Ubers don't care if they get a ticket.

· Premium Member
13,249 Posts

I said, "No".

Consider this. Defending a DUI is about $15,000 on average, and many states consider an open container to be the driver's responsibility. In some places, a beer can missing from a six pack can be considered an open container.

I always ask riders to show me what they're carrying, and if it is alcohol, they arent allowed to bring it. Unopened 6, 12, 24 packs, or bottles of wine or spirits must go in the trunk. No exceptions.

Even still, some "clever" pax will sneak a beer into the car, and when i catch them, their ride is over and they will have to find another ride.

· Registered
321 Posts
Hmm...
I wonder if glitter would qualify for cleanup $? It's a def pita to remove, very difficult to get it reduced to point its not making a kaleidoscope pattern on headliner. And gets much worse after being ground into the carpet.

Normal wear & tear?

· Registered
321 Posts
Oh? How did you approach for cleaning fee? Pics from 10 different angles, empty cup, etc? I have been repeatedly shot down, so 1 ? of course, and quit allowing containers without spill proof lids. travel mugs, screwtop plastic or metal bottles etc are okay. Average cup from fountain machine area? Nope. Even if they are walking out of a restaurant.

· Registered
4,434 Posts
I've done over 3,600 rides without any spills. I've had crackers and crumbs. I've had glitter. I've had dog hair. I've had feathers from a green boa. I've never had a spill.
Thats extremely lucky. Ive had about a dozen people spill a drink in my car. I even had it happen twice in one day. I don't ever worry about someone spilling a drink. Easy cleanup and i wil get a cleaning fee for my troubles.

· Registered
2,982 Posts
With the bad Uber/Lyft drivers in my area, NO DRINKS, not even if it has a lid. The only way they get a drink Is if they go through drive thru.

The cops here don't like Ubers because the new ones don't understand where to drop pax off. And the older Ubers don't care if they get a ticket.
Drive thru?

You're free to drink any non alcoholic beverage you wish. Just be aware that you will pay a cleaning fee if you spill. Lyft has paid me for several drink mishaps by pax.
Count on ridesharing to send mixed signals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.