Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
gave that ride this morning, accidentally merged to the left instead of the right. Ended up in park & ride. Once u are there, U turn is impossible & backing up is like backing up on the highway. Which, had I known about the horror that was to come, I would have attempted to do just that.

$8.95 to get out of that!
The video Metro attendant told me I was s&:! out of luck & had to swipe a Smarttrip or my credit card to get out. He also told me Metro contacted both Lyft & Uber about drivers wanting to get out without paying.
(his words)

They told Metro the drivers were responsible.

Same BS they told me when I called them directly to plead my case.

I have to eat it & move on with my life.

However, what disturbs me is, if they are clearly aware of this, why can’t they put in a side note on the app to warn drivers & keep them from being trapped & losing. In my case: I lost almost half the fare but what about the minimum fare minus $8.95? That would leave the drivers doing the trip for free & then paying extra.

Uber has no principles!?!

·
Registered
841 Posts
So this happened to me with Lyft @ Branch Ave (I think). Pick-up was @ apt building on hill next to paid parking lot. The GPS actually directed me INTO the lot-it set the pin/pick-up point IN the lot. I screenshot everything INCLUDING the GPS directions as I thought it was odd the pick-up was in the empty lot on a Sat & not @ kiss & ride where I started from.

Btw-I didn’t know that area @ all. I called rider & did my damdest to get to them cuz 45+ ride.

I found myself locked in empty lot & called Metro on intercom. Had to use my CC to get out. Thought was going to be $2 cuz Sat. Then looked @ the charge online. $8 or $10 I think. I called LYFT immed & they reimbursed me. Maybe b/c the GPS instructed me to go in the lot. I’d be more than p***d if they hadn’t.

Turned out to be a good trip with a $20 tip for wait @ 1 stop. Drug deal I’m sure lol.

Recommend: Screenshot everything. Edpecially Uber. Their GOS is awful.

·
26,263 Posts
I simply do not go into those things, regardless. This is why I will not pick up at the Pentagon City Best Buy unless they come to the street. I got burnt there once on a My Taxi pickup, but I did hit the customer for it, as she had asked me to come up there. As cheap and lousy as half the Uber customers are, I am not going to try to get anything out of them or Uber. If you want a ride from Best Buy in Pentagon City, you can schlepp your stuff to the kerb or cancel me and hope that you get an ant on the next car that you summon.

If they want to get out at a METRO, I follow the signs to the Kiss-And-Ride; the same for pick-ups. If they do not want to come to me, it is time to dance the Shirlington Shuffle.

Watch the signs and ignore the GPS.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had this happen. I called out to the rider and they tipped me the amount to get out and left. I was pissed and called metro from the button. They told me if I waited, the gates were coming up in 5 min. I waved to the passenger, settled in, and went through for free 5 minutes later. So the $8.95 tip was really a tip. Thanks, clueless pax!

·
Premium Member
24,701 Posts
This is why I will not pick up at the Pentagon City Best Buy unless they come to the street. I got burnt there once on a My Taxi pickup, but I did hit the customer for it, as she had asked me to come up there. As cheap and lousy as half the Uber customers are, I am not going to try to get anything out of them or Uber. If you want a ride from Best Buy in Pentagon City, you can schlepp your stuff to the kerb or cancel me and hope that you get an ant on the next car that you summon.
Pentagon City mall period is a clusterfornicate. If I get anything for Pentagon City Metro, Matchbox, Shake Shack or the mall itself, I wait on Hayes. I flat out refuse to go into this area in the picture:

Building Asphalt Cloud Architecture Road surface

If you go in here you have to go down to the Ritz-Carlton to turn around and wait through several light cycles to get out. Given the pennies per minute Uber/Lyft pay it's not worth it. I will happily Shuffle their ass.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this happened to me with Lyft @ Branch Ave (I think). Pick-up was @ apt building on hill next to paid parking lot. The GPS actually directed me INTO the lot-it set the pin/pick-up point IN the lot. I screenshot everything INCLUDING the GPS directions as I thought it was odd the pick-up was in the empty lot on a Sat & not @ kiss & ride where I started from.

Btw-I didn't know that area @ all. I called rider & did my damdest to get to them cuz 45+ ride.

I found myself locked in empty lot & called Metro on intercom. Had to use my CC to get out. Thought was going to be $2 cuz Sat. Then looked @ the charge online. $8 or $10 I think. I called LYFT immed & they reimbursed me. Maybe b/c the GPS instructed me to go in the lot. I'd be more than p***d if they hadn't.

Turned out to be a good trip with a $20 tip for wait @ 1 stop. Drug deal I'm sure lol.

Recommend: Screenshot everything. Edpecially Uber. Their GOS is awful.
Glad it worked out 4 u.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Happened to me at Wiehle-Reston metro one evening. Had a ride that took me out there from Arlington and received a ping to pickup at the metro. Never been there before, so drove to the pin, to find no rider. Security wouldn’t let me wait, but told me where most people go to get picked up, so I headed there. Entered where it appeared the sign indicated I should go but it was metro parking garage. Drove straight through to the exit - it prob wasn’t even a minute from the time I took the ticket and entered until I was trying to exit. No apparent way to exit without paying, so I pressed the help button. The guy opened the gate and let me out, but warned that it was my last time. Found the rider eventually: it was a short ride and she tipped me $5, which was more than the actual fare. Followed it up with the quick shuffling two pool riders out of spite, then headed back to the city.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I simply do not go into those things, regardless. This is why I will not pick up at the Pentagon City Best Buy unless they come to the street. I got burnt there once on a My Taxi pickup, but I did hit the customer for it, as she had asked me to come up there. As cheap and lousy as half the Uber customers are, I am not going to try to get anything out of them or Uber. If you want a ride from Best Buy in Pentagon City, you can schlepp your stuff to the kerb or cancel me and hope that you get an ant on the next car that you summon.

If they want to get out at a METRO, I follow the signs to the Kiss-And-Ride; the same for pick-ups. If they do not want to come to me, it is time to dance the Shirlington Shuffle.

Thx, Good info.
This was the 1st tricky one I have seen. It was a big ass one way circle. If u merge a little to the left, u have to keep going b/c there is no way to leave the lane. The Metro knows that & so does Uber & Lyft. I am calling 7 on Your Side b/c to me, my money was stolen. How many others get taken advantage of?

Thx, Good info.
This was the 1st tricky one I have seen. It was a big ass one way circle. If u merge a little to the left, u have to keep going b/c there is no way to leave the lane. The Metro knows that & so does Uber & Lyft. I am calling 7 on Your Side b/c to me, my money was stolen. How many others get taken advantage of?
Very poor signage also. U don't see it until it's damn near too late!

Happened to me at Wiehle-Reston metro one evening. Had a ride that took me out there from Arlington and received a ping to pickup at the metro. Never been there before, so drove to the pin, to find no rider. Security wouldn't let me wait, but told me where most people go to get picked up, so I headed there. Entered where it appeared the sign indicated I should go but it was metro parking garage. Drove straight through to the exit - it prob wasn't even a minute from the time I took the ticket and entered until I was trying to exit. No apparent way to exit without paying, so I pressed the help button. The guy opened the gate and let me out, but warned that it was my last time. Found the rider eventually: it was a short ride and she tipped me $5, which was more than the actual fare. Followed it up with the quick shuffling two pool riders out of spite, then headed back to the city.
Thx, Good info.

Very poor signage also. U don't see it until it's damn near too late!
Going to do some shuffling now since Uber has taught me another lesson. This is how they create savages of honest people. Now searching for shuffling best practices!

·
26,263 Posts
If I get anything for Pentagon City Metro, Matchbox, Shake Shack or the mall itself, I wait on Hayes. I flat out refuse to go into this area in the picture: If you go in here you have to go down to the Ritz-Carlton to turn around and wait through several light cycles to get out. Given the pennies per minute Uber/Lyft pay it's not worth it. I will happily Shuffle their ass.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. I learned that in my cab days, long before Uber. I have had customers berate me for not going in to pick up or drop off. I tell them that it wastes too much of my time and that I am NOT doing it. I have had a few [urinating] contests with passengers over it. I give them all the Shirlington Shuffle. I will sit on South Hayes for the five minutes and "Cancel-Rider Not Here". Let them caterwaul to Uber all that they will. If Uber sends me a nastygram, I will tell them the same:

"Dear Rohit:

When I consider the garbage rates that you pay for mileage and add the worse than garbage rates that you pay for time, it is not worth my trouble to go into that place; they can come out onto the street if they want their too-cheap-as-it-is UberX base rate ride (or even surged). If they want a vehicle to come in there, there are three options:

1. Pay for my cancellation, summon another UberX and hope that it is an ant.
2. Summon Uber Black and pay limousine rates.
3. Walk across the service road to the taxi stand and ride one of them.

I am not sitting in there for those garbage rates,

Sincerely,

Another Uber Driver "

·
Registered
655 Posts
gave that ride this morning, accidentally merged to the left instead of the right. Ended up in park & ride. Once u are there, U turn is impossible & backing up is like backing up on the highway. Which, had I known about the horror that was to come, I would have attempted to do just that.

The video Metro attendant told me I was s&:! out of luck & had to swipe a Smarttrip or my credit card to get out. He also told me Metro contacted both Lyft & Uber about drivers wanting to get out without paying.
(his words)

However, what disturbs me is, if they are clearly aware of this, why can't they put in a side note on the app to warn drivers & keep them from being trapped & losing. In my case: I lost almost half the fare but what about the minimum fare minus $8.95? That would leave the drivers doing the trip for free & then paying extra.

Be careful at Vienna Metro, Police hided at Metro Bus stop area. You may pick up pax from "Bus station" then get $100 fine ticket after you leave the DO NOT ENTER zone.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts

The parking lot is free for the first hour I believe, just don't lose the ticket. That will cost you $20.
Pentagon City mall period is a clusterfornicate. If I get anything for Pentagon City Metro, Matchbox, Shake Shack or the mall itself, I wait on Hayes. I flat out refuse to go into this area in the picture:

View attachment 233924

If you go in here you have to go down to the Ritz-Carlton to turn around and wait through several light cycles to get out. Given the pennies per minute Uber/Lyft pay it's not worth it. I will happily Shuffle their ass.
If I get a ride from there, I come from army Navy side to start the timer, circle around to 15th. The far right lane goes into the back and comes out by the circle past the Ritz. If you cruise it, you can be back around to the Ritz and that should the shuffle timer should be up. If they are not there, I roll to the light.

·
Banned
5,383 Posts
I have been caught up by that garage in Springfield before I don’t think it is well marked in enough time and the entrance is drive is prevents you from bailing out. It sucked but for some reason I remember the mistake costing me around 4.

·
Registered
211 Posts

(his words)

However, what disturbs me is, if they are clearly aware of this, why can't they put in a side note on the app to warn drivers & keep them from being trapped & losing. In my case: I lost almost half the fare but what about the minimum fare minus $8.95? That would leave the drivers doing the trip for free & then paying extra.

You really have to know what u r doing, these pay roads r very limited signs, expensive tolls, cant get out, uber does not give a shit about its drivers...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts