Uber Drivers Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Premium Member
I genuinely enjoy most of the conversations I have with my pax. Sometimes I fake it, not to establish a rapport but to entertain myself. If it serves a dual purpose, so be it.

I get tipped in app a little better than 1/3 of the time and cash around 1/5, that's a lite better than 50% .

I don't offer anything extra. I gave a few charging cables, two iPhone that pax have left and a few android. I don't mind if they use them.

If they ask and aren't an ass, I'll let them have control of the music. Less than 1 per day ask, it's not that big of a deal. I've only shut their music down once or twice, I can only take so much EDM, sober. 馃槅馃ぃ馃槀

50% of pax tipping is much better than most from what I've read on here.

My approach is pretty simple,

Don't be an *******.

I'm mostly fine with conversation with pax. There is no manipulation or 'fake agreement' for the sake of a potential tip. Toronto is a shit market for tipping anyway. 90% of tips are American Tourists. Which clearly isn't happening in the middle of COVID-19

Premium Member
Well you are very experienced so I believe what you say. But whether it is market based or whatever, far more than 10% of my pax tip. I just scrolled back to the first date I was still driving full time. I honestly did not cherry pick this day, although it was better than average. But usually 30-40% of my pax tip. It may be my sparkling personality, but I truly believe that rapport building is a key factor for garnering tips.

View attachment 591783
Why did you need to go to November last year statement to back up your claim? Why not just lift last week statement ?

Just another half truth ego trip driver .

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Why did you need to go to November last year statement to back up your claim? Why not just lift last week statement ?

Just another half truth ego trip driver .
I can see there is no fooling you sir! You see right through my thinly veiled fa莽ade. For others who are more gullible, as I said in my post, that date was the last full shift I put in.

Premium Member
"Oh. Oh. I don't want to put on the music a pax requests."

The problem with this one is that they always ask after you're on the move, and most of the time it's on a 5-minute ride to the bar. So I'm supposed to switch my car stereo's audio input (depriving me of hearing the next Uber ping coming in), let them connect their phone via aux cord or Bluetooth sync, or maybe scroll through my own music app to look up the artist their asking for? Then they'll want to crank the stereo up to ten (which thankfully they can't reach at the moment with everyone sitting in back) without any awareness or care of potential damage to speakers. Not safe and it makes me take more time to set the car back up right after the ride is finished.

The problem with this one is that they always ask after you're on the move, and most of the time it's on a 5-minute ride to the bar. So I'm supposed to switch my car stereo's audio input (depriving me of hearing the next Uber ping coming in), let them connect their phone via aux cord or Bluetooth sync, or maybe scroll through my own music app to look up the artist their asking for? Then they'll want to crank the stereo up to ten (which thankfully they can't reach at the moment with everyone sitting in back) without any awareness or care of potential damage to speakers. Not safe and it makes me take more time to set the car back up right after the ride is finished.
So true. I've had this situation play out hundreds of times. It can be quite exhausting when you are trying to drive under urban down-town conditions.

Premium Member
I am sometimes astonished at the number of drivers who complain about the most petty of things related to pax behavior.

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to talk to my pax."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to give my pax a charge cord."

And is it not those same drivers who complain about the low pay in this line of work?

Get a clue people. Tips make all the difference. Make your pax happy and your tips will go up.

Member rcozy (the member with the "I did not have ___ with that woman..." avatar came up with the best way to make lemonade during this pandemic in this thread. Guilt trip people into tipping! Beautiful, covert, effective technique.

The second best way to make more tips is to be a better driver. And the best way to be a better driver is to take an Uber ride. Take a ride and notice how the driver behaves. Most drivers I've gotten in the car with have a finger up their nose. It is so easy to spot ways to improve by observing others doing it wrong.

Not everyone will tip because you lend them an aux cord or let them choose the song, or not cop an attitude when the pax was not toes-on-the-curb. But if you do those things.... if you talk to your pax... if you take the time to establish a rapport... you WILL make more money. You can even make driving and navigation mistakes, yet if you have established that rapport you will often still get tipped.

Again, take a few Uber or Lyft rides and it will become clear what areas you can improve your driving and make more money. We can't control how much Uber pays us. But if you make a game out of getting tipped you can influence your income. And this work is all about optimizing one's income, is it not?
Music is a hard limit because I love to sing.

I am sometimes astonished at the number of drivers who complain about the most petty of things related to pax behavior.

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to talk to my pax."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to give my pax a charge cord."

And is it not those same drivers who complain about the low pay in this line of work?

Get a clue people. Tips make all the difference. Make your pax happy and your tips will go up.

Member rcozy (the member with the "I did not have ___ with that woman..." avatar came up with the best way to make lemonade during this pandemic in this thread. Guilt trip people into tipping! Beautiful, covert, effective technique.

The second best way to make more tips is to be a better driver. And the best way to be a better driver is to take an Uber ride. Take a ride and notice how the driver behaves. Most drivers I've gotten in the car with have a finger up their nose. It is so easy to spot ways to improve by observing others doing it wrong.

Not everyone will tip because you lend them an aux cord or let them choose the song, or not cop an attitude when the pax was not toes-on-the-curb. But if you do those things.... if you talk to your pax... if you take the time to establish a rapport... you WILL make more money. You can even make driving and navigation mistakes, yet if you have established that rapport you will often still get tipped.

Again, take a few Uber or Lyft rides and it will become clear what areas you can improve your driving and make more money. We can't control how much Uber pays us. But if you make a game out of getting tipped you can influence your income. And this work is all about optimizing one's income, is it not?
Acknowledge your privilege. Work the hoods. Help people if color by helping them with doing errands and drive thrust. Politely turn down tips as they need their black dollars.

Premium Member
Click on it and find out. see it has a little > arrow? touch it. it should tell you. been a long time since i saw one of those, might be an event? any other veterans out there who remember this?
It doesn't do anything but blink when you click it. I figure you all are smarter and more efficient than Uber support.

Premium Member
Wow, that鈥檚 pre Covid stuff there! Seems like those use to pop up for big events like pro sports, beer festivals, carnivals, etc...

Registered
I I鈥檓 a complete degenerate(bet my kids diaper money degenerate) and I鈥檝e only pissed off 13 out of 5oo people. It鈥檚 not difficult.

Premium Member
Can someone tell me wh as the house represents in my app screen below?
It's an event that's taking place. Typically a sports event or a concert.

When I see those, they are often labelled with text that says what the event is. Beyonce Concert or Houston Rockets basketball game, something like that.

Premium Member
I've been going through this form looking at ideas and information based on all the posts people on this. And it seems to come down to one unwavering answer on how to become a better driver. Now mind you I pretty much boil down everything into one sentence that will encapsulate everything that you need to know.

Q. How to become a better Uber driver.

A. The only way to become a better Uber driver is to never become an Uber driver at all.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts