Uber Drivers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Well you are very experienced so I believe what you say. But whether it is market based or whatever, far more than 10% of my pax tip. I just scrolled back to the first date I was still driving full time. I honestly did not cherry pick this day, although it was better than average. But usually 30-40% of my pax tip. It may be my sparkling personality, but I truly believe that rapport building is a key factor for garnering tips.

View attachment 591783
I use to do fairly well with tips for U/L and delivery. Many pax said I was friendly and my car was clean. And many were shocked but happy with delivery because I used a delivery bag.

But it could be because I’m a woman. I think it also helped when pax asked why I did it f/t, I’d tell them the truth. I was laid-off when I worked nonprofit. One woman gave me a $20 cash tip for a short ride, and she said she wanted to give it to me for being so nice. Some of my tips were probably pity tips. But I didn’t care. I miss my cash tippers!

I’d get tips from low income, but middle class were my best tippers. Worst tippers for consistency of tips were upper middle class, but when they tipped, the amounts were decent.

Good points you make. Building rapport definitely helps with tips. Who wants to tip a crabby driver or delivery person?

·
24,213 Posts
Ouch, less than 10% is that reg Uber and Lyft only or in the taxi as well?

Fubar and Gryft only.

What % of taxi pax tip?

./....................about ninety-eight per-cent.....................

Has there been a noticeable drop in tips in the taxi since uber lyft have been arpund?

When Uber implemented platform wide tipping, the tips on Uber Taxi did drop. LAtely, though, they have gotten better. Before platform wide tipping, there was a default twenty per-cent tip added, although the customer could change it. You used to see what they tipped before your rated. If the tip was adequate, you gave the five stars. For a paltry tip, you gave four. For not tip, you gave one.

Do you notice a difference in tips between cab company & UberTaxi?
Fewer Uber Taxi customers tip than street hails or Curb users. This is due to several factors. Many customers do not rate, so they forget to tip. Some UberX users discovered Uber Taxi late in their use of Uber. As they were not used to tipping on UberX, they did not tip on Uber Taxi.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I see a lot of whining here (and elsewhere on this site) about making stops for people. I'm pretty willing to make those stops and wait a while.

I clean out the car and get rid of trash, while getting paid minimum wage for the privilege. Otherwise I have to do it on my own time for free after I get home.
Yeah, I'm not gonna get lubed, bend over, and wait for 15 cents per minute. And what minimum wage you talking about? Want me to wait at a stop for more than three minutes? Money talks upfront. I explain to riders why most drivers don't wait after several minutes. We make more by driving. Most understand and whip out cash. If that makes me a complainer, then so be it. The butt kissing without tips is so 2017 and 2018.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
And what minimum wage you talking about?
The amount I'm talking about is what you get paid per minute. That is, per minute with no extra miles. No, technically it's not a wage. But if you actually calculate it, it comes out to just about what the legal minimum wage is.

Is that coincidental? Perhaps. Doesn't matter.

The point is, you collect an additional amount just for having the trip active for that additional amount of time.

Or do you prefer to clean out your car on your own time for free?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I see a lot of whining here (and elsewhere on this site) about making stops for people. I'm pretty willing to make those stops and wait a while.

I clean out the car and get rid of trash, while getting paid minimum wage for the privilege. Otherwise I have to do it on my own time for free after I get home.
I'm not averse to stops that are reasonable in length. If it's a few minutes inside a gas station for cigs, or a quick stop at the bank to cash a check, sure.

If it's back-to-school shopping for three kids at Wal-Mart...F that!

My car doesn't ever get dirty enough to spend 55 minutes in a Wal-Mart parking lot cleaning it out. Also, I find it is most efficient to clean your car at the beginning or end of a shift. Even just two passenger cycles will cause more dirt on the floorboards and more garbage to accumulate within the vehicle. I don't want to spend 1 hour per day cleaning out a car in multiple phases, because that's how much time I've spent waiting for people to run their errands on my time.

People aren't really whining. They're just pointing out how little concern Uber has for our route efficiency. In this business, if you aren't efficient, you aren't going to earn very much money after expenses.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
My car doesn't ever get dirty enough to spend 55 minutes in a Wal-Mart parking lot cleaning it out.
I wouldn't do that one either. But 5 or 10 minutes for picking up something at Walgreens is a no brainer for me.

I find it is most efficient to clean your car at the beginning or end of a shift. Even just two passenger cycles will cause more dirt on the floorboards and more garbage to accumulate within the vehicle.
The second of those two sentences is why the first one is wrong.

I don't want to spend 1 hour per day cleaning out a car in multiple phases
In almost 1,000 trips, I think I can count on my fingers the number of times people have asked me to make a stop.

But I wouldn't go through a drive thru again. I'd rather park and let them walk in. Whataburger? Oh yeah! Get me some fries, would ya? :)

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
There was one time when I picked up a guy whise destination was a drugstore. He was going to one halfway across town, because he didn't know Houston geography.

I told him I'd take him to one that's a lot closer, which he agreed to. Nice guy and so I told him I'd wait for him, and took him back to his hotel afterward he shopped for 5 or 10 minutes. There's still something called "hospitality" here in Texas.

I travel enough on business, and I appreciate it when people are helpful to me.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
There was one time when I picked up a guy whise destination was a drugstore. He was going to one halfway across town, because he didn't know Houston geography.

I told him I'd take him to one that's a lot closer, which he agreed to. Nice guy and so I told him I'd wait for him, and took him back to his hotel afterward he shopped for 5 or 10 minutes. There's still something called "hospitality" here in Texas.

I travel enough on business, and I appreciate it when people are helpful to me.
How much does hospitality pay these days....

41 - 60 of 77 Posts