Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
5,880 Posts
All good, except #2. Way too much work. they can figure it out on their own, those who care to I should say.
I pick up at a lot of resorts and restaurants attached to Marinas. Some have 3-5 places a pax could be and the pax really ha no clue there are so many places they could be picked up. I simply have to type 3 letters and predictive text fills in the message I have preset up.

For Example Key Largo Marriot has 3 places that a PAX can be. I type in KLM and predictive text sends out my preset message. PAX text me back exactly where they are. PAX appreciate it and often tell me thanks for clarifying where to pick them up and often tells me the last driver cancelled on them. I get the trip which in my market is better than a cancel fee and I almost always get a tip in those situations.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For Example Key Largo Marriot has 3 places that a PAX can be.
Key Largo? Did someone say Key Largo? One of my favorite movies of all times. Is there some designated place to go visit where the movie was filmed? I assume a lot was shot in the studio, but the dock and ocean looked real enough.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Tips make all the difference.
No, they don't.
Good rates make all the difference.
I drive Black/SUV, and the rates are decent.
I like getting tips, like anyone else, but I don't depend on them.
I provide good service, and when people tip me, I appreciate it, but when I don't go out of my way to accommodate the pax, I don't really care, if they tip me or not.
Rates, that's where the money is, not tips.
I don't like to brag, but I made over 1800 over the weekend, 600+ a day and about 150 in tips.
Funny thing, the ones, who tipped, were the least expected tippers.
I drove an SUV to SFO - shitload of luggage, loaded it all myself. Tip - zero.
Seriously, I drive Yucon XL, and I was up to the ceiling. Zero. And then I drove a couple from a restaurant, - 100% tip double the rate. All I did was wishing them a good anniversary, it was their tenth year being married.

·
5,880 Posts
Key Largo? Did someone say Key Largo? One of my favorite movies of all times. Is there some designated place to go visit where the movie was filmed? I assume a lot was shot in the studio, but the dock and ocean looked real enough.
Caribbean Club in Key largo. Local dive bar, has a wood statue of Humphrey Bogart in the corner.

Reactions: _Tron_

·
Premium Member
10,852 Posts
I am sometimes astonished at the number of drivers who complain about the most petty of things related to pax behavior.

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to talk to my pax."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to give my pax a charge cord."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to put on the music a pax requests."
None of the above are complaints - they are just drivers' personal preferences:

Regarding talking to pax, I don't like inconsequential small talk and I don't engage in it with others, regardless of whether they are pax or not. This is simply my own preference - some do people like to pratter on and on about nothing and that's great, but it's not for me. In my experience though, the cast majority of the minority of pax who want to converse are the "inquisitor" pax type who will attempt to ask a barrage of probing personal questions. I shut these pax down quickly and politely. I'm not going to answer personal questions about where I live, if I am married, how many children I have etc etc. It's not appropriate and none of their business.

Regarding power cables, I have them and I don't mind lending them to pax. Other drivers may not have them, or may not want to share them. Again, it's each driver's personal choice what amenities to offer.

Regarding music, I will put on a radio station that pax ask for, but I don't do the aux cord thing. It's only ever asked for on the drunk shift and in the couple of times I did it, it turned into a battle with pax over appropriate volume. This made it a safety issue due to my not being able to concentrate properly on the road. I soon withdrew the option.

I understand what you mean about developing a rapport with pax and that it can lead to tips. I have had a few very good conversations and discussions with pax and connected with them; occasions which did indeed result in tips. However, when I think about what my role is, it is essentially that of taxi driver. I am there to drive them from A to B, not to be their entertainer or to regale them with amusing anecdotes and tales. I wouldn't be prepared to put on a show for them in the hope of them flicking me an extra couple of bucks. In any case, I don't think that becoming their in-car entertainment would add much in tips. The vast majority of pax just want to sit in silence and bury their faces in their phones. I know that when I am a pax, I just want to be left alone. I don't want a driver vying for tips or ratings trying to strike up a conversation with me, and I will downrate the "inquisitor" drivers who ask where I am going, where I have been etc. Again, it's none of their business.

You have some good points about striving to be a proficient driver and having correct social etiquette, but those go without saying.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
None of the above are complaints - they are just drivers' personal preferences:

Regarding talking to pax, I don't like inconsequential small talk and I don't engage in it with others, regardless of whether they are pax or not. This is simply my own preference - some do people like to pratter on and on about nothing and that's great, but it's not for me. In my experience though, the cast majority of the minority of pax who want to converse are the "inquisitor" pax type who will attempt to ask a barrage of probing personal questions. I shut these pax down quickly and politely. I'm not going to answer personal questions about where I live, if I am married, how many children I have etc etc. It's not appropriate and none of their business.

Regarding power cables, I have them and I don't mind lending them to pax. Other drivers may not have them, or may not want to share them. Again, it's each driver's personal choice what amenities to offer.

Regarding music, I will put on a radio station that pax ask for, but I don't do the aux cord thing. It's only ever asked for on the drunk shift and in the couple of times I did it, it turned into a battle with pax over appropriate volume. This made it a safety issue due to my not being able to concentrate properly on the road. I soon withdrew the option.

I understand what you mean about developing a rapport with pax and that it can lead to tips. I have had a few very good conversations and discussions with pax and connected with them; occasions which did indeed result in tips. However, when I think about what my role is, it is essentially that of taxi driver. I am there to drive them from A to B, not to be their entertainer or to regale them with amusing anecdotes and tales. I wouldn't be prepared to put on a show for them in the hope of them flicking me an extra couple of bucks. In any case, I don't think that becoming their in-car entertainment would add much in tips. The vast majority of pax just want to sit in silence and bury their faces in their phones. I know that when I am a pax, I just want to be left alone. I don't want a driver vying for tips or ratings trying to strike up a conversation with me, and I will downrate the "inquisitor" drivers who ask where I am going, where I have been etc. Again, it's none of their business.

You have some good points about striving to be a proficient driver and having correct social etiquette, but those go without saying.
No one should be grovelling or engaging in small talk just to get tips. If the service was good, arrived on time, car driven comfortably, and driver taking the most efficient route, then tip should be given. No need for extras.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I used to provide aux cord, phone charger, change radio station upon request, go through drive thrus without complaining, stop at stores. No more due to lack of tips. In the past two years, I don't provide extra service (at least not for free). I do things for money. If riders pay the company, not us, for a ride from A to B, that's all the service they get. Extra amenities, sorry. Money talks though, and upfront, especially for drive thrus and stops that'll take more than three minutes. At 58 cents per mile and 15 cents per minute and 86 cents for base fare here in Sacramento, yeah, no free extras because they don't help out in tips 98% of the time. Most of my tips come from just providing a safe trip from A to B, and not always with a conversation. I don't mind conversation but prefer to avoid the same personal and sometimes nosy questions. Oh, and my rating have been going up despite me being more strict. 4.91 on Uber and 5 on Lyft.

·
Premium Member
1947 Cisitalia 202
2,441 Posts
....and most times you can do everything perfectly and still no tip. It is what it is.
I recently got a ping for a trip from a restaurant to a winery. I arrive, no pax, I send an "I've arrived" text, wait longer, send another text, still no response, finally cancel when the time has elapsed.

I drive down the road, get a ping from a different account, go back to the same place, and a couple get in. They tell me, nicely, they're the people I just cancelled. She was having trouble with phone reception; they got my texts but couldn't reply. (They can't have tried very hard to find my car, based on where I had been stopped and where I picked them up.) So they re-ordered ride, on his phone.

We have a pleasant conversation; I pick up on the fact that the destination they have put in the app is probably wrong (two confusingly similarly named wineries); get them to call and verify that I'm right. This saves them a minimum of 15 minutes and another fare, and possibly losing their reservation. They're grateful for my help. When we get there, I tell them I'll get rid of the cancel fee on her account -- expecting to be told, "no, that's not necessary." Instead, "oh, thanks." I go through with refunding the cancel fee [stupid, I know], still expecting they'll do the right thing. Aaaaaannnndd . . . Nothing. Zero dollars and zero cents.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I recently got a ping for a trip from a restaurant to a winery. I arrive, no pax, I send an "I've arrived" text, wait longer, send another text, still no response, finally cancel when the time has elapsed.

I drive down the road, get a ping from a different account, go back to the same place, and a couple get in. They tell me, nicely, they're the people I just cancelled. She was having trouble with phone reception; they got my texts but couldn't reply. (They can't have tried very hard to find my car, based on where I had been stopped and where I picked them up.) So they re-ordered ride, on his phone.

We have a pleasant conversation; I pick up on the fact that the destination they have put in the app is probably wrong (two confusingly similarly named wineries); get them to call and verify that I'm right. This saves them a minimum of 15 minutes and another fare, and possibly losing their reservation. They're grateful for my help. When we get there, I tell them I'll get rid of the cancel fee on her account -- expecting to be told, "no, that's not necessary." Instead, "oh, thanks." I go through with refunding the cancel fee [stupid, I know], still expecting they'll do the right thing. Aaaaaannnndd . . . Nothing. Zero dollars and zero cents.
No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
I see a lot of whining here (and elsewhere on this site) about making stops for people. I'm pretty willing to make those stops and wait a while.

I clean out the car and get rid of trash, while getting paid minimum wage for the privilege. Otherwise I have to do it on my own time for free after I get home.

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Prior to the pandemic, virtually every pax tipped. Not being tipped was the exception. Now, it's the opposite.

Same level of service, same car.

Why? Virtually every trip is one of the following -

1. Pax that cannot afford a car commuting to / from work. This is their daily routine, just as if they were taking the bus. Same for most business travelers going to the airport. No need to tip in their mind.
  2. Pax going to pick up their car from the shop, typically a first time user of the app of very infrequent. They assume that I am making tons of money or do not understand that tips are very important to us.
  3. Third party booked patient at a clinic - they typically have no idea how this works, think we work for the facility, can't tip in the app because they do not have the app.
  4. College students - they never tipped before.
  5. Grocery store trips - used to cancel on these but now it's desperate times, especially when virtually every ping is insanely far away.
  6. The "I'll tip you in the app" guy with two DUIs, thinking we have no idea if we receive a tip.
What's missing?

1. Tourists (I maybe have two a week). Always talkative, always tipped.
  2. Pax going out to parties / gatherings. Food, balloons, gifts in hand. Happy, smiling, and often tipped well for everything they had with them in the car.
  3. Pax going out to dinner or a date night. Happy, looking forward to a special meal, tipping already on their mind. I get maybe two or three a week now, if that. Now, if they have a car, they're driving themselves.
Never had an aux cord (my car doesn't have a plug anyway), offered a charging cable to a handful of pax asking for one (they'd leave it a mess on the back floor), tried water bottles when I was new. No change in tips from those cases versus just driving from A to B listening to music that I prefer. In fact, pax demanding such amenities were the type not to tip in the first place, usually low rated.

Our market has a major driver shortage, leaving pax waiting for insanely long times - if they can even book a trip. They're frustrated and typically fall into the first group listed. And they are using RS only because they have no other option.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I am sometimes astonished at the number of drivers who complain about the most petty of things related to pax behavior.

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to talk to my pax."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to give my pax a charge cord."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to put on the music a pax requests."

And is it not those same drivers who complain about the low pay in this line of work?

Get a clue people. Tips make all the difference. Make your pax happy and your tips will go up.

Member rcozy (the member with the "I did not have ___ with that woman..." avatar came up with the best way to make lemonade during this pandemic in this thread. Guilt trip people into tipping! Beautiful, covert, effective technique.

The second best way to make more tips is to be a better driver. And the best way to be a better driver is to take an Uber ride. Take a ride and notice how the driver behaves. Most drivers I've gotten in the car with have a finger up their nose. It is so easy to spot ways to improve by observing others doing it wrong.

Not everyone will tip because you lend them an aux cord or let them choose the song, or not cop an attitude when the pax was not toes-on-the-curb. But if you do those things.... if you talk to your pax... if you take the time to establish a rapport... you WILL make more money. You can even make driving and navigation mistakes, yet if you have established that rapport you will often still get tipped.

Again, take a few Uber or Lyft rides and it will become clear what areas you can improve your driving and make more money. We can't control how much Uber pays us. But if you make a game out of getting tipped you can influence your income. And this work is all about optimizing one's income, is it not?
got an aux cord .. that's so 2018

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
How to become a better uber driver. Follow my steps .
Its simple
. #1 step Open your phone
#2. Click on the app.
#3Click manage app .
#4 Delete the app from your phone .
#5 clean and wash your car to wash the residual uber from your car .
#6 Tear off the bade of shame uber sticker and burn it .I suggest swearing at it as well
#7 Tell your car your so sorry get on your hands and knees and tell your car your so sorry.
#8 get a better job. Never think back .
My steps will allow you to get health insurance .
You car will last longer.
You will be paying into social security .
You credit score will improve .
You will be very happy on your days off . Uber drivers never enjoy there days off .
You will have a steady pay check week to week. With sepending money .

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I see a lot of whining here (and elsewhere on this site) about making stops for people. I'm pretty willing to make those stops and wait a while.

I clean out the car and get rid of trash, while getting paid minimum wage for the privilege. Otherwise I have to do it on my own time for free after I get home.
whose trash are you getting rid of? i don't make trash in my car and any trash the pax makes is out the door with the pax at the end of the ride. probably my biggest pet peeve is pax treating my car like a trash can. if it comes in with them, it goes out with them.

·
Premium Member
1947 Cisitalia 202
2,441 Posts
What's missing?

1. Tourists (I maybe have two a week). Always talkative, always tipped.
After two weeks of driving almost exclusively tourists, I can report they're not tipping very much at all. Even Lyft pax, who pre-pandemic were more likely to tip than Uber ones, mostly have stiffed me.

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
After two weeks of driving almost exclusively tourists, I can report they're not tipping very much at all. Even Lyft pax, who pre-pandemic were more likely to tip than Uber ones, mostly have stiffed me.
A tourist here now is like finding the golden ticket. The tips aren't great but more than zero.

I miss answering questions and pointing things out. And once even discovering that two guys were less than a mile from where I grew up in Maryland, very good tip there.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Prior to the pandemic, virtually every pax tipped.
wut? riders? NO way, Jose. :devilish: <----------that will have to do for the purple eye roll guy for now

Reactions: Benjamin M
21 - 40 of 77 Posts