Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sometimes astonished at the number of drivers who complain about the most petty of things related to pax behavior.

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to talk to my pax."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to give my pax a charge cord."

"Oh. Oh. I don't want to put on the music a pax requests."

And is it not those same drivers who complain about the low pay in this line of work?

Get a clue people. Tips make all the difference. Make your pax happy and your tips will go up.

Member rcozy (the member with the "I did not have ___ with that woman..." avatar came up with the best way to make lemonade during this pandemic in this thread. Guilt trip people into tipping! Beautiful, covert, effective technique.

The second best way to make more tips is to be a better driver. And the best way to be a better driver is to take an Uber ride. Take a ride and notice how the driver behaves. Most drivers I've gotten in the car with have a finger up their nose. It is so easy to spot ways to improve by observing others doing it wrong.

Not everyone will tip because you lend them an aux cord or let them choose the song, or not cop an attitude when the pax was not toes-on-the-curb. But if you do those things.... if you talk to your pax... if you take the time to establish a rapport... you WILL make more money. You can even make driving and navigation mistakes, yet if you have established that rapport you will often still get tipped.

Again, take a few Uber or Lyft rides and it will become clear what areas you can improve your driving and make more money. We can't control how much Uber pays us. But if you make a game out of getting tipped you can influence your income. And this work is all about optimizing one's income, is it not?

·
Premium Member
8,635 Posts
I am sometimes astonished at the number of drivers who complain about the most petty of things related to pax behavior.

And is it not those same drivers who complain about the low pay in this line of work?

Get a clue people. Tips make all the difference. Make your pax happy and your tips will go up.

Member rcozy (the member with the "I didn't have ___ with that woman..." avatar came up with the best way to make lemonade during this pandemic in this thread. Guilt trip people into tipping! Beautiful, covert, effective technique.

The second best way to make more tips is to be a better driver. And the best way to be a better driver is to take an Uber ride. Take a ride and notice how the driver behaves. Most drivers I've gotten in the car with have a finger up their nose. It is so easy to spot ways to improve by observing others doing it wrong.

Not everyone will tip because you lend them an aux cord or let them choose the song, or not cop an attitude when the pax was not toes-on-the-curb. But if you do those things.... if you talk to your pax... if you take the time to establish a rapport... you WILL make more money. You can even make driving and navigation mistakes, yet if you have established that rapport you will often still get tipped.

Again, take a few Uber or Lyft rides and it will become clear what areas you can improve your driving and make more money. We can't control how much Uber pays us. But if you make a game out of getting tipped you can influence your income. And this work is all about optimizing one's income, is it not?
Your approach to the problem is wrong. You cannot count on Uber X pax to ever tip. The assumption is that 90 % will never tip irrespective of their socioeconomic status. If you want to increase revenue, switch your driving to Uber XL or Uber Premier or Uber Black. You now have a completely different customer base, who pays twice as much for the fare and are likely to tip willingly because they VALUE the service and don't treat your car as an alternative cheap public transportation.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cannot count on Uber X pax to ever tip. The assumption is that 90 % will never tip irrespective of their socioeconomic status. If you want to increase revenue, switch your driving to Uber XL or Uber Premier or Uber Black.
No doubt premium rides do better, but I have always driven X, and the assumption that 90% won't tip is simply not in my experience. Even if I have a turkey medical fixed-fare Lyft trip, or a car dealer pickup where the pax doesn't even have an opportunity to tip, that is when I put out a tip jar. Some of those folks even tip.

I have calculated it and learned that my tips run 20% or better of my overall income. That's not just the average of those who tipped. That's the percentage of the weekly total income. I can't help but to believe that treating passengers well, giving superior service, increases a driver's take across the board regardless of service class. For those who don't subscribe to this notion it just helps drivers who do. Pax notice the difference and are delighted.

·
24,572 Posts
I don't want to give my pax a charge cord."
I do not mind it if I have one. I do not want to b e downrated for not having one, though. It is unreasonable for a customer to expect anything more than a ride from Point A to Point B given the garbage rates that Fubar pays me. Yes, I know, you are supposed to do something extraordinary to merit five stars, but, given Fubar's implementation of its star system, you can not apply conventional standards, here.

I am not going to purchase i-Phone cords for this. The quantity of the tips that I would get for it would not justify the expense. It will be stolen before it pays for itself in tips; let alone before I realise black ink in my bottom line. Very few people in this market tip. This is why I balk at rendering anything extraordinary. In the cab business, it very rarely resulted in a better tip; you got the same that you would have had you only driven Point A to Point B. In the TNC business, you get the same ZERO tip regardless of what you do.

I don't want to put on the music a pax requests."
There is simply some "music" that I do not like and do not want to hear. The people who want to hear this music are people who very rarely tip. Few people here tip as it is. Even fewer of those who want to hear music that I do not like tip.

Tips make all the difference. Make your pax happy and your tips will go up.
Perhaps this obtains in your market. It does not in mine.

Not everyone will tip because you lend them an aux cord or let them choose the song, or not cop an attitude when the pax was not toes-on-the-curb.
In my market, most people will not tip no matter what you do.

But if you do those things.... if you talk to your pax... if you take the time to establish a rapport... you WILL make more money. You can even make driving and navigation mistakes, yet if you have established that rapport you will often still get tipped.
In this market, you might get one or two more people out of one hundred to tip because of this.

You cannot count on Uber X pax to ever tip. The assumption is that 90 % will never tip irrespective of their socioeconomic status.
Expecting ten per-cent of the customers to tip in this market is optimistic.

If you want to increase revenue, switch your driving to Uber XL or Uber Premier or Uber Black. You now have a completely different customer base, who pays twice as much for the fare and are likely to tip willingly because they VALUE the service and don't treat your car as an alternative cheap public transportation.
Add to that Uber Taxi, where available. It is no longer available in Toronto. The only market in Canada that still has it is Montréal.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Just wait till U/L plan comes to play. The market will be so saturated with "new" drivers.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Alas, I am wholly unqualified to drive for Uber or Lyft. I've counseled myself and sent myself to HR. Seems I just have a bad attitude about entitled people. Don't worry though, I fired myself.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you are very experienced so I believe what you say. But whether it is market based or whatever, far more than 10% of my pax tip. I just scrolled back to the first date I was still driving full time. I honestly did not cherry pick this day, although it was better than average. But usually 30-40% of my pax tip. It may be my sparkling personality, but I truly believe that rapport building is a key factor for garnering tips.

1618936654113.png

·
Premium Member
8,635 Posts
Well you are very experienced so I believe what you say. But whether it is market based or whatever, far more than 10% of my pax tip. I just scrolled back to the first date I was still driving full time. I honestly did not cherry pick this day, although it was better than average. But usually 30-40% of my pax tip. It may be my sparkling personality, but I truly believe that rapport building is a key factor for garnering tips.

View attachment 591783
Were most of the tipping customers over 50 years of age?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were most of the tipping customers over 50 years of age?
On that day I of course do not recall. In general my clientele is across the board, with perhaps a slight weighting toward younger couples. Hard to breakdown tippers only. Memory is just not that good. Haven't driven much since last November.

Reactions: Gone_in_60_seconds

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Member rcozy (the member with the "I did not have ___ with that woman..." avatar came up with the best way to make lemonade during this pandemic in this thread. Guilt trip people into tipping! Beautiful, covert, effective technique.
So the best way to be an better uber driver is to lie and scam the riders? (You call it 'guilt tripping' :confusion:)

Um.....thanks, but no thanks.

I'll stick with NOT being a liar and remain genuine.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Few people here tip as it is.
Ouch, less than 10% is that reg Uber and Lyft only or in the taxi as well?

What % of taxi pax tip?

Has there been a noticeable drop in tips in the taxi since uber lyft have been arpund?

Do you notice a difference in tips between cab company & UberTaxi?

·
Premium Member
16,000 Posts
Having to over-perform to bring your net pay to some level approaching or exceeding *THE MINIMUM WAGE* is utterly lacking in dignity. Prices should be set accordingly by the MotherCorp, not dump it on the Drivers. Same goes for Wait Staff and other Tipping Professions.

During the bulk of the pandemic with all the extra cleaning and driving precautions (PPE), as well as added risk, there should have been a mandatory tip (or just call it a pay-bump, or covid-19-fee) to compensate drivers for doing this essential service. Uber could have gotten some really great publicity for waiving it for the First Responders and Front Line Health Workers.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
It's all about the community. The fun, exciting and adventurous antics of the rideshare driver - Submitted for your approval, the story of dashed hopes, lost dollars while performing like a trained monkey.... and puke in your hair.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I try to treat people kindly regardless of whether they're my coworkers, pax in my car or strangers at the grocery store. Generally I'm cool to pax as I'm sure most drivers are. However, I won't let them take advantage of me. And I don't put up with entitlement, unreasonable requests or bad behavior. Assuming none of that occurs, I try to treat people well.

The aux cord thing is always a hot topic. I only have the stereo cable for aux though. Not an iPhone connection. And very few pax have a stereo audio output on their phone so it's not a problem. Sometimes they ask for a bluetooth connection which I'm fine with but the car has to be stopped in order to do that and most pax don't want me to pull over just so they can connect their phone.

·
6,103 Posts

I do everything wrong starting from the time I get the ping.
  1. I accept the ping
  2. I will text PAX for clarification to pick up or give ETA if Uber ETA is wrong.
  3. I greet the PAX in a friendly manor and verify identity and destination.
  4. I ask the PAX how they are doing and feel out their response to see if they want to chat or not.
  5. I have a charging cable available for use without asking.
  6. I ask them if they have a music preference. Just for the record most don't.
  7. I have intelligent conversations if they want to.
  8. I answer questions and make suggestions about the area.
  9. I'll make stops as long as they are short and understand I will cancel if over 5 minutes
I get tipped on 50% of my rides on average.

·
Premium Member
15,787 Posts
All good, except #2. Way too much work. they can figure it out on their own, those who care to I should say.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts