Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first thumbs down today. I've been doing this for 4 weeks now and mostly enjoy it, but wonder if I should have handled this order differently.

How do you handle out-of-stock items?

I picked up an order from Taco Bell today. The order was for a taco and an iced coffee. They said they don't make iced coffee at dinner time. I called the customer to see if they'd like to substitute any other drinks. The customer said they just wanted a refund for the iced coffee.

In the past, I'd had merchants like Habit Burger or Blaze Pizza give me a cash refund to give to the customer for out-of-stock or unavailable items. Taco Bell wouldn't do this and said Uber support would need to refund the customer.

As I was driving to the delivery address which was only about 3 minutes away, I called support to let them know about the missing iced coffee. The customer was waiting curbside outside their office as I pulled up. The customer could hear the conversation through my car's hands-free system. Uber support told me to continue to deliver the taco to the address. I told them I'd already arrived and that I'm with the customer right now, and that I need them to be refunded for the iced coffee.

Uber support said that I need to tell the customer to contact support on their own if they want to get a refund. The customer heard this and wasn't happy that they would need to waste their time contacting customer support, being that the point of Uber Eats is to save time on food and drink orders. They then pulled up Taco Bell on Uber Eats and the iced coffee still showed up as available and in-stock.

I got a thumbs down because of the missing item and waste of time. I'd be annoyed to if half my order was missing... especially if it was coffee (i am a coffee addict)

How do you handle out-of-stock or unavailable items when the merchant won't update their availability?

Should I have just canceled the order because half of it was missing instead of contacting the customer and proceeding with the delivery?

Any advice on how to handle this better?

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
You caused your own problem here by getting over involved. Don’t call support or the customer.

Very simply drop the order off. If it’s contactless just text them AFTER that TB doesn’t have iced coffee and they’ll have to call Uber for a refund. If it’s an order you have to hand to the customer just very simply tell them Taco Bell doesn’t have iced coffee during dinner and they’ll have to call Uber for a refund. Then just walk away. Keep it simple, and don’t get involved in anything else. You are just a driver And if you don’t keep your involvement just to that you are going to be in for a lot of trouble delivering food.
  1. Pick up food
  2. Drop off food
  3. Communicate if you’re going to be late
  4. Blame “they” for any problems.
This is simple, don’t get over involved.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
If a restaurant tells me they are out of an item, right or wrong, I ask them to substitute with another item as close to the original as possible. Never had a thumbs down, never had any repercussion.
100% agree. And if the restaurant doesn't I'll do it myself to avoid wasting time. They don't have Orange soda...give them a coke! No vanilla shakes...give them a chocolate.

In 9000 deliveries I find the customer would rather have "something" than "nothing" most of the time. Even if I choose the substitution I tell the customer "they" substituted coke for orange because "they" didn't have it. Never one single complaint.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I tell you how I handle it... first off I don't go to taco bell .. second when they tell you they don't have an item and you have to call the customer you hit the cancel button (reason, excessive wait time) and move on

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I had a KFC pickup the other day (pickup 1 minute from where I was, delivery near my house - I was ready to be done for the day anyway).

I walk into KFC and there was nothing in the pickup area. Had to wait 3-4 minutes before an employee showed up at the counter. Gave him the name and he said it would be ready soon. He said the were out of Mac and Cheese so I needed to call the customer and find out what they wanted instead. I told him not my job - I drive from point A to point B. He said “well, the customer will either complain to you (me) or us (KFC)”. I shrugged and told him to substitute whatever he wanted - I don’t care.

I asked for a second time how long until it’s ready (he didn’t answer the first time) and he said a few minutes (keep in mind I’d already been there 5+ minutes). I told him I don’t play games - have a nice day. I turned around and walked out. Marked it as excessive wait time and cancelled.

They don’t pay nearly enough for us to act us customer service, order taker, drink dispensing clown. I pick up food, I drop off food. That’s it. Anything outside the scope of pickup/dropoff in a timely manner and I’m done. Food’s not ready and I don’t see them bagging it in front of me - I’m walking out (unless the estimated payment is crazy high).

When driving passengers: I pick up pax and I drop off pax. The only reason I also load/unload suitcases is to protect my car.

Uber pays a small and specific amount for us to do basic and specific things. I will do those things well - and nothing more unless theres a direct benefit to me.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I got my first thumbs down today. I've been doing this for 4 weeks now and mostly enjoy it, but wonder if I should have handled this order differently.

I picked up an order from Taco Bell today. The order was for a taco and an iced coffee. They said they don't make iced coffee at dinner time. I called the customer to see if they'd like to substitute any other drinks. The customer said they just wanted a refund for the iced coffee.

In the past, I'd had merchants like Habit Burger or Blaze Pizza give me a cash refund to give to the customer for out-of-stock or unavailable items. Taco Bell wouldn't do this and said Uber support would need to refund the customer.

As I was driving to the delivery address which was only about 3 minutes away, I called support to let them know about the missing iced coffee. The customer was waiting curbside outside their office as I pulled up. The customer could hear the conversation through my car's hands-free system. Uber support told me to continue to deliver the taco to the address. I told them I'd already arrived and that I'm with the customer right now, and that I need them to be refunded for the iced coffee.

Uber support said that I need to tell the customer to contact support on their own if they want to get a refund. The customer heard this and wasn't happy that they would need to waste their time contacting customer support, being that the point of Uber Eats is to save time on food and drink orders. They then pulled up Taco Bell on Uber Eats and the iced coffee still showed up as available and in-stock.

I got a thumbs down because of the missing item and waste of time. I'd be annoyed to if half my order was missing... especially if it was coffee (i am a coffee addict)

How do you handle out-of-stock or unavailable items when the merchant won't update their availability?

Should I have just canceled the order because half of it was missing instead of contacting the customer and proceeding with the delivery?

Did you call support before you marked the order as delivered? I know that the customer has to call in after the order has been marked as delivered. I think you could've avoided the thumbs-down if you had called from Taco Bell.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
He said the were out of Mac and Cheese so I needed to call the customer and find out what they wanted instead.
I agree with most of what you said. The only thing I would have done differently to still get the money is I wouldn't call the customer, but I'd have said "they want mashed potatoes". At the drop off I would have said "they didn't have Mac n cheese so "they" substituted mashed potatoes". Delivered✅ get paid.

Wait time is a different issue.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
I think you could've avoided the thumbs-down if you had called from Taco Bell.
Big time waster. Just tell Taco Bell to substitute Ice Tea. At the drop off tell the customer "they didn't have Ice Coffee so "they" substituted Ice Tea." Now it's not your fault, no thumbs down for you. If the customer is pissed off they can call Uber for a refund. (which they'd have to do anyway)

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
You caused your own problem here by getting over involved. Don’t call support or the customer.

Very simply drop the order off. If it’s contactless just text them AFTER that TB doesn’t have iced coffee and they’ll have to call Uber for a refund. If it’s an order you have to hand to the customer just very simply tell them Taco Bell doesn’t have iced coffee during dinner and they’ll have to call Uber for a refund. Then just walk away. Keep it simple, and don’t get involved in anything else. You are just a driver And if you don’t keep your involvement just to that you are going to be in for a lot of trouble delivering food.
  1. Pick up food
  2. Drop off food
Not calling support is something I'd agree with. It's just not worth it. However, this being a job where tips are involved, it never hurts to send out a quick text to the customer in regards to substitutions if it's something that is easy to do. It's the implied service that gets the better tip, not the delivery itself.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
The customer doesn't need to call in. They can just get a refund in the app after delivery. It takes max one minute. I've done it SEVERAL times for missing items. It's automated. The only customers who might be denied are the customers who request refunds on every order. I haven't received a "missing items" notice in nearly 2 years , I think they changed it in my market the same way DD did. Also, your customer is an idiot. You don't have to thumbs down the driver to get a refund for missing/incorrect items. You do it when you go to rate the restaurant/delivery , not the actual driver rating prompt.

·
Registered
11 Posts

You will learn to be smarter

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with most of what you said. The only thing I would have done differently to still get the money is I wouldn't call the customer, but I'd have said "they want mashed potatoes". At the drop off I would have said "they didn't have Mac n cheese so "they" substituted mashed potatoes". Delivered✅ get paid.

Wait time is a different issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

1. Pick up food
  2. Drop off food
Good advice. I always text the customer prior to delivery to let them know that their order is missing an item(s). Usually, the restaurant will provide an alternate item (but of course I have to contact the customer to let them know if they want a substitute item).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts