Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here in Austin. I do this part time and travel between Dallas, Austin and Houston for work and started uBering to make some (supposed) cash on the side. I enjoy helping people and good conversation so this seemed like a good fit. In Austin, though it has been a series of short rides that aren't worth it, and a few good ones as well.

Without going into too much details, my assessment is that I must avoid being near Downtown on late weekends and that I shouldn't pick up UT students most of the time.

My most common interaction:

"Hey, are you waiting for Uber?

Cool.

You're going to have to finish your beers before you get in my car.

Well, its against the law for you to shotgunning beers even as a passenger.

Where you going?

Oh just a block away? Awesome!"

I will be searching for advice on how to avoid the people too lazy to walk a block syndrome and how to screen passengers on the forum, but for now I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Anyone from 15 to 25 years old is like you describe.
Short rides, bad ratings, always demanding and pushing the limits of what you can do for them. And they are cheap as cheap can be... They never tip. That $2.40 we take to accommodate them is a lot of money in their view.

·
Registered
10 Posts
can you see destination before starting ride? If not, are you suggesting you cancel ride after going to the pickup and starting the ride?

·
Registered
933 Posts
No you can't see the destination till you "START RIDE". In cases like this ask them where they are going before you start the ride. If it's so crappy you don't want to do it. Cancel and move on.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Avoid UT and downtown in general if you don't want $2 rides. Lyft minimum is $5, which is what Uber should be.
I am not a proponent of canceling after finding out the destination, but others are.

·
Registered
517 Posts
No you can't see the destination till you "START RIDE". In cases like this ask them where they are going before you start the ride. If it's so crappy you don't want to do it. Cancel and move on.
Be careful doing this If the customer reports you to Uber game over for you...!!!!!!!!!! Uber has ways of tracking you

·
Registered
933 Posts
Be careful doing this If the customer reports you to Uber game over for you...!!!!!!!!!! Uber has ways of tracking you
Fine and then as an IDIPENDENT CONTRACTOR we get to have so much fun. ;)

Now please show me where I said I do this? I responded to the question with a solution not once did I say I did this myself. So Killeen Ubur what makes you think I do this, please show me prof. As for "Uber has ways of tracking you" NO DUH it's called an APP they have the rights to it. No mystery there.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Fine and then as an IDIPENDENT CONTRACTOR we get to have so much fun. ;)

Now please show me where I said I do this? I responded to the question with a solution not once did I say I did this myself. So Killeen Ubur what makes you think I do this, please show me prof. As for "Uber has ways of tracking you" NO DUH it's called an APP they have the rights to it. No mystery there.
Stratos said:

·
Registered
10 Posts
well i would not do that to a rider.. It isnt their fault that UBER allows this. Thanks for confirming not being able to see destination though.. I keep trying and was getting no where :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
In my area $2.40 rides are often two miles or less with a quick turn around. I've made quit a bit per mile and per hour doing lots of quick trips. The one caveat that can quickly kill the per hour earnings doing short rides is waiting after arrival and dopes not requesting the right spot. Of course it's always the apps fault. It partly is for not being idiot proof because once you hit request ride on the map the confirmation screen doesn't say the address or show the pick up location. Stupid ****ing Uber. They could save lots on advertising and hiring new drivers if they made a couple easy fixes to their shit app that would free up a considerable amount of the driver's time. I also feel bad for the pax waiting for the one car (me) working to become available at 4am to catch a flight as I wait for some inconsiderate ******* that requested me ten minutes away and is having me wait even longer after I arrive. So much time is wasted waiting after arrival and incorrect pick up locations. We'd make more, Uber'd make more. Instead they have the business sense of an empty-headed simpleton--Just gotsta hire mo drivers... derp derp.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You do realize that on a $2.20 ride, you net about $0.85. You better be able to do 20 of those per hour, which isn't likely. But you may be saying $2.20 after Uber's take. Then it's still got to be 10 rides per hour, doable, but only with prepared pax, so still unlikely you're really making very good money. Uber’s loving it, though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You do realize that on a $2.20 ride, you net about $0.85. You better be able to do 20 of those per hour, which isn't likely. But you may be saying $2.20 after Uber's take. Then it's still got to be 10 rides per hour, doable, but only with prepared pax, so still unlikely you're really making very good money. Uber's loving it, though.
I'm saying 2.20 after uber's take of the minimum fare but acually that should be $2.4 from the 4 dollar minimum ($4-$1 srf x .8). Have you heard of an area that has a $2.20 minimum? Thailand maybe?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I'm saying 2.20 after uber's take of the minimum fare but acually that should be $2.4 from the 4 dollar minimum ($4-$1 srf x .8). Have you heard of an area that has a $2.20 minimum? Thailand maybe?
Austin, TX. $2.00 minimum. It's crazy, I know.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I'll hit start ride early and then cancel if I don't like where they are going. I also call passengers and ask where they are going. Deactivate me, threaten me, I don't care because I refuse to work for free.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Stratos said:
Yes I wrote that now show me where it says I do that. No where in that statement do I say this is what I do. It is only a response to a question on how to handle the situation. So once again please show me where I state that this is what I do.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Screenshot_2015-08-26-09-01-06.png

Like I said before. Avoid the campus if you don't want $2 rides. Can't believe they want to promote this. What a losing proposition.

·
Registered
189 Posts
View attachment 12365
Like I said before. Avoid the campus if you don't want $2 rides. Can't believe they want to promote this. What a losing proposition.
the only thing campus pickups are good for is trying to make the guarantees, especially in the morning. They are short, quick trips which is good, then you go hide out in the sticks or airport cell phone lot and ride out the guarantee clock. Otherwise, I agree, AVOID THE CAMPUS!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts