Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trip from NY City Airport to Manhattan. Clean car. Safe. BUT - spoke perhaps a few words of English at best. Did not know his way around the highways or the city. Was constantly consulting and having problems with the GPS. We had to give him turn by turn directions. We would not want to be paired with him again.

On the one hand, we don't want to hurt his livelihood. On the other, a high rating would be unfair and mislead other passengers.

Thoughts asap, please.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Trip from NY City Airport to Manhattan. Clean car. Safe. BUT - spoke perhaps a few words of English at best. Did not know his way around the highways or the city. Was constantly consulting and having problems with the GPS. We had to give him turn by turn directions. We would not want to be paired with him again.

On the one hand, we don't want to hurt his livelihood. On the other, a high rating would be unfair and mislead other passengers.

Thoughts asap, please.
You get what you pay for. Order UberBlack next time.

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts

Thoughts asap, please.
For Uber X, that's a 5 star ride. Cheap rides are shitty rides.

And LOL at the assumption one can earn a livelihood driving Uber X.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

Thoughts asap, please.
Sounds like a typical uber ride. Have you taken an uber before?

·
Premium Member
7,074 Posts
Everybody here seems to think they deserve 5 stars just for getting the pax to the destination in one piece. I don't buy that. If you don't like your driver rate him appropriately. It doesn't do the rest of us any good to keep poor drivers on the road.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
What was his rating?

It's not likely you'll get matched with him again, as NYC has quite a few drivers in a fairly dense space so you don't need to do anything there.

If he was rated over 4.7, go ahead and give him a 3 or a 4, and leave a comment about navigation. If he was rated under 4.7, please give him a 5 and leave a comment about navigation despite his navigation issues, as that would affect his ability to earn gross revenue on the Uber platform.

If he was a new driver, please keep in mind that it takes some practice to get navigation and phone holder placement set up to where a driver can use navigation smoothly and safely without impairing his driving. That's true in the Central Texas suburban sprawl that I drive in, and even more true in NYC traffic conditions.

Complaining about checking his navigation app borders on petty, though. I don't appreciate riders expecting drivers to know every place they might want to go from memory. Taking a quick glance at the navigation screen in a well-placed holder while checking mirrors shouldn't be a problem; drivers looking down for seconds at a time at a phone in their lap with the vehicle in motion is a legitimate safety risk, and changing navigation app settings with the vehicle in motion would also be a legitimate safety risk on par with texting & driving. Was this driver's navigation usage closer to the former or the latter?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gotta agree with everyone here, it was a safe clean ride, you got to your destination, and you paid less than you would have paid a taxi, which in contrast, not only would a taxi cost more, but they are also rarely clean or safe (if you think Rideshare drivers are crazy drivers, just imagine the things taxi drivers get away with), that right there is a 5+ star ride regardless of issues with navigation or language barriers, also, try asking a cabbie for an aux cord :p:D

A Rideshare driver (at least one that has been driving in the area for a while) should know his way around, but it is NYC we are talking about, and Uber's GPS algorithm has issues even out in the sticks (let alone, the many streets and side streets of a huge city like NYC) and should really only be used as a suggestion

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
try asking a cabbie for an aux cord :p:D
Yeah ok I'm a taxi driver in my 13 years only 1.....yeah that's right only 1 person asked for an aux cord......I laughed said " this isn't Uber you college kids got ruined by Uber giving you free chit......my car is clean in and out and a 13 Impala with leather seats.......why do you "need" an aux cord I have Sirius Stereo besides your going 10 highway miles you can deal without an aux cord for 8 minutes"......

He smiled said "yeah your right" dropped him off and he paid $50 to cover fare and double fare for tip!!.

·
Premium Member
62,894 Posts

Thoughts asap, please.
Don't rate at all.
" if you don't have anything nice to say . . ."

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah ok I'm a taxi driver in my 13 years only 1.....yeah that's right only 1 person asked for an aux cord......I laughed said " this isn't Uber you college kids got ruined by Uber giving you free chit......my car is clean in and out and a 13 Impala with leather seats.......why do you "need" an aux cord I have Sirius Stereo besides your going 10 highway miles you can deal without an aux cord for 8 minutes"......

He smiled said "yeah your right" dropped him off and he paid $50 to cover fare and double fare for tip!!.
That was exactly my point

There are two different kinds of cabs, retrofitted civilian cars and converted "police interceptors" (police cruisers converted for taxi use), the "police interceptors" don't even have a radio, let alone an aux cable, retrofitted civilian cars on the other hand do have radios and aux ports, but cabbies usually refuse use of them, the joke is Uber tells us to offer water, mints, aux cord, and a charger for better ratings... There is not a taxi service in existence that offers those services, and charges more to boot

Basically what I am saying is based on what Uber tells us to do, we offer a BETTER service than ANY taxi service, for LESS than a fraction of the cost

I've been in many taxis before, the quality of them are usually worse than a hoopty found on a used car lot (admittedly not all), many times driven by a lunatic that barely knows how to speak English or safely keep the cab on the road (I have seen cases firsthand of this many times)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well like I described in my post my taxi is not what you described....mine is a 2013 Impala LTZ....meaning Less Than Zero....which means top of line for that model that year every single option possible....not a hoopty or a police interceptor.....and in my company all 300 drivers drive modern cars less than 6 yes old be it a Camry or sub or prius or another impala like mine so owners of my company take pride in the vehicles that drive under their name...I own mine....so anyway I do agree with the trash cabs in other cities and companies......and why in the hell would you offer water mints aux cords or chargers?.....just so you can gross $1 a mile?......yeah you do that and I will still refuse.......more power to you...&and I hope you can pay your bills with them 5 stars you strive to get..smh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW! Those who replied on topic say that I should not only give this less than adequate driver a 5 star rating but should tip him as well!

I wonder if these are the same drivers who ding passengers for:

-being slightly late
-giving directions from the back seat
-not tipping
-otherwise offending them

I hope that Uber management reads these boards. I also hope they read the Yelp reviews (mostly from passengers) with their heavy 3* and lower ratings of Uber and the experience they had.

Clearly, Uber has issues. Some of the problems may be local; some are clearly institutional. And, since Lyft has many similar problems, I would suggest that the tipping issue is only an excuse to justify Uber drivers' bad behavior.

I expect that we will see many changes over the next few years as Uber refines its business plan. With luck, these changes will benefit both passengers and drivers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't always know precisely the best or shortest route to every pax destinaton, but they probably do. I have no compunction asking the pax for their preferred route. If that earns me less than 5 stars, then so be it to those ungrateful mutts for my trying to save them time and money!

ALWAYS rate your driver 5 stars unless you can state a really good reason for not doing so. Asking the driver to take your route is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts

Thoughts asap, please.
5 stars the driver got you to your destination in one peice, did not have anything against you, or disrespected you, you sound like a spoiled entitled loser!

·
Registered
185 Posts
WOW! Those who replied on topic say that I should not only give this less than adequate driver a 5 star rating but should tip him as well!

I wonder if these are the same drivers who ding passengers for:

-being slightly late
-giving directions from the back seat
-not tipping
-otherwise offending them

I hope that Uber management reads these boards. I also hope they read the Yelp reviews (mostly from passengers) with their heavy 3* and lower ratings of Uber and the experience they had.

Clearly, Uber has issues. Some of the problems may be local; some are clearly institutional. And, since Lyft has many similar problems, I would suggest that the tipping issue is only an excuse to justify Uber drivers' bad behavior.

I expect that we will see many changes over the next few years as Uber refines its business plan. With luck, these changes will benefit both passengers and drivers.
WOW! Right back at you. You understand that these people are making money often to feed themselves and potentially other family members? This is their job. A consistent 4 star rating will get you dropped as a driver. So 5 stars means "don't take them off the road." Anything lower than 5 means you would prefer to not be able to get a ride than have to ride with them again.

As for tipping, it all depends on you. I have tipped my drivers every time I ride. Why? I got there safe. I was not thrown around the inside of the car. I did not have to endure anything audio or smell wise. And I got there in a reasonable period of time. Drivers, like waitresses, make less than minimum wage, get no overtime and have to put up with whatever is thrown at them. Tips are the Thank You in a mostly thankless job.

You may ask why I don't want worse drivers off the road so there are more passengers for me. The reason is simple - I, with my brand new car, following all the rules, having the slight scent of strawberry in the air, power cords that allow you to play your own music and free water, have gotten 2s, 3s and 4s as ratings. Not many but some. That means those people would rather not have gotten a ride than having ridden with me. That is messed up. So obviously the system is broken. To fix it is simple - If you would rather not have a driver than have to ride with that driver again, feel free to score them less than 5. Otherwise, score them a 5.

And comparing passenger ratings and driver ratings is not the same. Passengers are not riding for a living. I personally have never given a passenger less than a 5 but in hindsight I should have for one guy who brought a dog unannounced.

If you want to abuse something to feel like you are getting even, go bowling.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts