Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pool ride. Pickups in Bradbury and Monrovia, one drop in West Hollywood, one at LACMA. Both of them by themselves on X would've run about $30-$32 or $26-$28 at pool rates.

But since these are two separate trips...

2016-07-03 14.39.30.png
2016-07-03 14.38.50.png

I had a good conversation with the second drop and asked her about the price she was quoted and she said $17.79 (that's the $13.38 tab)

In total I put 33 miles on the odometer and 1:03 on the clock and those numbers correspond almost exactly to what I was paid. Her $17.79 quote minus $1.65 & 20% doesn't add up exactly and unfortunately I wasn't able to see what she ultimately was charged.

What this tells me is that Uber is automatically quoting a matched fare on UberPool and if the ride goes unmatched, Uber subsidizes that cost. This allows Travis to continue telling the public that Uber pool is popular when in fact people that take it are paying approx half price.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just checked this trip out and it now shows a price of $19 and some change. But the interesting thing is when you tap the i next to the price you get the following message.

2016-07-04 01.22.05.png

That seems like pretty certain language but it's at odds with my experience with pool which when we picked up an additional passenger my price actually went down. The other difference is I was quoted a price not much different than if I'd ordered X. Now they're quoting pax a price ASSUMING they'll find a match.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
They also base the pool fare on the shortest possible route. I have done that before as well. At one point I had taken a ride from Central Hollywood to LAX it was only $9 plus the airport fee. And I could see the route that the app shows which was very direct. But if the driver of course takes the long way, the driver gets paid more but the passengers still pays the same rate that's quoted.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Interesting pool trip yesterday, passengers messed up and both requested pool when they actually should have requested x. Both passengers lived together at the same address, both requested pool but both put in the exact same destination, they thought they could change it after the first pax was dropped off. Of course you can't do that on pool.
Here's the interesting part. In my trip history one pax had a fare of 9.05 and the other pax had a fare of 6.90, this is for the exact same trip, same pickup time, same dropoff time, both in my car at the same time. Both were the same amount of time and distance.
Can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Had a pool ride. Pickups in Bradbury and Monrovia, one drop in West Hollywood, one at LACMA. Both of them by themselves on X would've run about $30-$32 or $26-$28 at pool rates.

But since these are two separate trips...

View attachment 47136 View attachment 47137

I had a good conversation with the second drop and asked her about the price she was quoted and she said $17.79 (that's the $13.38 tab)

In total I put 33 miles on the odometer and 1:03 on the clock and those numbers correspond almost exactly to what I was paid. Her $17.79 quote minus $1.65 & 20% doesn't add up exactly and unfortunately I wasn't able to see what she ultimately was charged.

What this tells me is that Uber is automatically quoting a matched fare on UberPool and if the ride goes unmatched, Uber subsidizes that cost. This allows Travis to continue telling the public that Uber pool is popular when in fact people that take it are paying approx half price.
33 miles at $.90 = $29.70
66 minutes at $.15 = $9.45
Total = $39.15
80% = $31.32
75% = $29.36
You got $28.12
Confirmed, Pool pays less

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting pool trip yesterday, passengers messed up and both requested pool when they actually should have requested x. Both passengers lived together at the same address, both requested pool but both put in the exact same destination, they thought they could change it after the first pax was dropped off. Of course you can't do that on pool.
Here's the interesting part. In my trip history one pax had a fare of 9.05 and the other pax had a fare of 6.90, this is for the exact same trip, same pickup time, same dropoff time, both in my car at the same time. Both were the same amount of time and distance.
Can anyone explain this?
Neither fare was surging?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They also base the pool fare on the shortest possible route. I have done that before as well. At one point I had taken a ride from Central Hollywood to LAX it was only $9 plus the airport fee. And I could see the route that the app shows which was very direct. But if the driver of course takes the long way, the driver gets paid more but the passengers still pays the same rate that's quoted.
The thing that looks different to me is they're quoting a matched fare automatically. Before they'd quote like a X ride but with pool prices, then split the fare if you picked up a match. Now they quote the matched price and eat it if you don't get a match. And I'm now convinced that the passengers total and the drivers total are two unrelated figures.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Can anyone explain this?
You can change it after the first Pax is dropped off. I have the same thing on Saturday going from anime convention to Santa Monica after the first Pax was dropped off the second one told me that she just needed to grab a bag and go back to the hotel downtown and just changed the address while I waited for her to get her bag.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can change it after the first Pax is dropped off. I have the same thing on Saturday going from anime convention to Santa Monica after the first Pax was dropped off the second one told me that she just needed to grab a bag and go back to the hotel downtown and just changed the address while I waited for her to get her bag.
I don't believe that. Somebody LEFT the anime convention? As if they're could possibly be anything better to do! TurningMyHeadAllTheWayAround!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
There's no rhyme or reason trying to figure out how pool works. I tried and its different everytime. Customer service doesn't even know how Deadpool works.

JUST KNOW THIS fuber will screw you at the end.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I changed my no POOL policy yesterday after I dropped off a few pax to Nobu in Malibu. They suggested I stay by Nobu because Leonardo DiCaprio was having a private party there and they would need uber like crazy. I stopped at a gas station about 1.5 mi away and got a pool ping at surge. Was surprised at the end. Made almost $60 from Nobu to west Hollywood with a final stop to k-town which is close to where I live. Good day overall. Would be @$300 if uber calculated incentives correctly.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts