Uber Drivers Forum banner

What incentive needs to be offered for you to come back online?

• $300

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • $400

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • $500

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • $600

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Nothing will make me come back until the UI runs out.

Votes: 17 47.2%
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Premium Member
Uncle Sam if offering an incentive far beyond any incentive Uber is capable of.
because RS was your only source of income? Huh, really? There are some variables missing here. Maybe.

Premium Member
I didnt tell people not to work you did.
What exactly are you b!tching about?

If every idle Uber/Lyft driver on unemployment right now decided instead to work, do you honestly think you'd be getting all those big bonuses? Hell no, you wouldn't, because there would be plenty of ants signed in to answer every ping.

So instead, you'd be here b!tching about how there are too many ants, and they should stay home because it is costing you big bonus money.

Premium Member
What exactly are you b!tching about?

If every idle Uber/Lyft driver on unemployment right now decided instead to work, do you honestly think you'd be getting all those big bonuses? Hell no, you wouldn't, because there would be plenty of ants signed in to answer every ping.

So instead, you'd be here b!tching about how there are too many ants, and they should stay home because it is costing you big bonus money.
What really got me aggravated was you complaining about 3-4 gas and car repair costs. As if either one of those things should be a reason to sit at home and collect enomployment. If anyone around here is a lazy whiner around here ITS YOU!!!!

Premium Member
What really got me aggravated was you complaining about 3-4 gas and car repair costs. As if either one of those things should be a reason to sit at home and collect enomployment. If anyone around here is a lazy whiner around here ITS YOU!!!!
I presently work an actual W-2 job, and I've done 20 Uber and Lyft rides this week, with no bonus incentives whatsoever. I own my house and have a massive savings in the bank. Money is not an issue for me. Rideshare is way to earn a small amount of cash and have random conversations with random people. It's not a career. It's barely a reliable source of income when I need something extra.

For people who don't have my resources, driving for Uber and Lyft can be a bit dicey on the personal finances. This is especially true if they're driving in a market with little promotional support and lousy mileage rates. Operating an automobile for 45 cents per mile is a recipe for losing money. Yet, Uber and Lyft set millions of drivers up to do precisely that.

I don't find tremendous fault in their mathematical analysis of taking unemployment while they can. You should be happy they're not listening to a damn word you're saying, because you'd be getting bupkes for bonuses right now.

Premium Member
So-called 鈥渇ree鈥 money has some serious disadvantages. First, many develop lazy habits. Secondly, the longer you go without work, the harder it becomes to get a job. Many employers won鈥檛 tell you that they often think there is something 鈥渨rong鈥 with someone who doesn鈥檛 have a really good explanation for a gap in employment of a year or more. If I was unemployed due to COVID right now, I鈥檇 be getting awful antsy about getting another job- since it has been about 13 months since the pandemic began.

Premium Member
So-called "free" money has some serious disadvantages. First, many develop lazy habits.
Not only lazy habits, but a comfort zone that is so fragile and easily breached, that one becomes almost unemployable. After 18 months of living life 100% on your own terms, you become psychologically dependent on having everything your way. We all know in rideshare, that simply isn't going to be the case...even on a good day.

What's really going to be the rude wake-up call, though, is the number of new ants Uber/Lyft is currently trying to deploy ahead of the unemployment expiration. These rideshare pros who took an 18-month sabbatical paid for by taxpayers will find the new rideshare environment (too many ants, not enough rides) far more depressing than the pre-COVID landscape.

Many of them won't be able to handle it. Their conflict resolution skills have atrophied, and the pool of competition will be greater. The sum total of that frustration will overwhelm them. Uber and Lyft will be weeding out those drivers who brag about their 5% AR, or their 25% cancel rate.

Super Moderator
Another reason Ubers TNC is running out of drivers is it's competing with itself.

Ubereats has been siphoning off drivers as have the other delivery companies.

Uber is stretching out the driver pool with more and more delivery options and a pool of drivers that has not kept up.

Premium Member
Another reason Ubers TNC is running out of drivers is it's competing with itself.

Ubereats has been siphoning off drivers as have the other delivery companies.
God bless these folks who love driving food around. Personally, it sounds like an even bigger hassle than transporting people, but if they like it and can make good money, I love the number of pings their absence in the rideshare market creates.

Premium Member
This is a good time to test the waters. Remember, you can only lose 1 week of benefits at a time and youre claim remains open. For quests, id use a sampling of prior trips to see how much time it would seem to take to get to the required number(s) for the bonus(es).To me right now the question is how much ( and when and where) are surges and is that based on supply and demand or more a byproduct of scarce drivers. In my market, there have been surges of up to $20 at the airport ( at all times of the day)... I only live 10 minutes away... If some of those rides are longer with big surges( where trip pay has to be adjustsd up to fall more in line with what pax pays) that could add up pretty nicely...

Premium Member
I might upload my documents and ready to go for $600+.

Now...

Will I pickup any paxholes?

I want Uber and Lyft to give me that offer and see what the algorithm say.

Premium Member
I jumped at a Lyft bonus of $29 for 20 rides in a week, until I realized it was an extra $1.50 a ride. I got frazzled on a crazy Saturday night, with bars opening back up and all the vaxxed flocking out in droves, until I realized it just wasn't worth it, especially since most of them were angry at me for having to wait for a ride. Lyft keeps upping the referral bonus, now $800 in my town, but then I'm not going to recruit an eager newbie who will be taking some of my rides as possible to earn their initial 100-ride monthly bonus, and who will be more competition once UI/PUA ends and everyone has to go on a cheese-free diet. The news stories say Uber is lobbying against emergency orders prohibiting surge pricing, but then I bet that if they get that, drivers are going to still see their $1-2 token surge bonus, while the company keeps the multiple charged to the pax. In any case, I'm not going to procure new drivers for Lyft; if they want me to drive more, they have to simply use the effective supply-and-demand tool they once had--when there's a shortage of drivers, give a surge multiple that makes it worth a driver to go out and chase the money. Fortunately I live in WA state, which allows business profits to be deducted from PUA, not gross income, so I can use mileage/cell phone expenses to cover most driver earnings.

Premium Member
This question is ill-defined. Is it a one-time bonus, or per week, etc.? If it is a one-time bonus, what is the minimum length of time that the ant would need to continue to hustle, etc.?

Premium Member
I wrote last week that I was offered a bonus of almost $400 to do 50 rides from Sunday to Thursday night 4:00 am. What I found odd is that I've been online and hitting 50 rides easily most weeks. That makes me puzzled as to why Uber would offer ants like me an incentive if I am already working and haven't stopped during the pandemic. But I am wondering what amount of money it would take for ants currently at home and not working to hit that online button before the UI runs out in September?
A Rational Economic Actor - LOL, I think I can safely say that a lot of ants are not rational, or they would have quit by now - would look at 2 possible cases: hustling at a maximum level, or continuing to take the CHEESE. The CHEESE requires no work or vehicle expenses (OK, filing a weekly claim and doing a "job search" does take maybe half an hour, LOL), whereas hustling does. There is some revenue that is brought in by both, and so with this Rational Economic Actor having some reservation wage (i.e., the lowest pay rate he would accept), he would need to get a net profit (i.e., in whatever way he defines his expenses) whose rate per time would exceed his reservation wage. I live in one of the cheap-a33 states :mad:, and I still get work-free & expense-free revenue of $407/week 馃榿; hence, even if I were to hustle at 60 hours/week, I would be giving up $7/hr CHEESE that would need to be above my reservation wage for me to rationally start hustling. (NOTE: This is a completely academic question, as my ride is too old to qualify for ant duty - and I'm not about to buy a new car just to hustle. :rolleyes:)

Premium Member
Yea but what about all the money
you need to spend on food while
you are sitting around watching tv?
And the omnipresent costs of housing?
Is your argument that people dont need to eat if they are driving? Or that they don't need to pay rent while they are driving? I'm confused.

EDIT: Sorry, others already asked this.

You didnt answer them either.

Premium Member
A couple months back Uber offered me $100 to do three rides. I gave it some thought and figured I'd go for it and do three rides on the way home from work. I have had Covid and recovered and I have been fully vaccinated. So it is as safe for me to give rides as it has ever been. When I attempted to go online it said my background check was pending. I am still stuck there. Checkr says Uber hasn't even requested a background check for me for at least six months. Meanwhile my area is constantly surging (Charlotte-style) due to lack of drivers. Lyft had no problem completing my background check, but they aren't offering me any incentive to drive other than a questionable claim that I can make $27 an hour.

Premium Member
I don't want a bonus, I want real earnings, I want 80% of what U/L charges the pax, I want full transparency and I want Dhara, John and Logan tarred and feathered

Premium Member
A couple months back Uber offered me $100 to do three rides. I gave it some thought and figured I'd go for it and do three rides on the way home from work. I have had Covid and recovered and I have been fully vaccinated. So it is as safe for me to give rides as it has ever been. When I attempted to go online it said my background check was pending. I am still stuck there. Checkr says Uber hasn't even requested a background check for me for at least six months. Meanwhile my area is constantly surging (Charlotte-style) due to lack of drivers. Lyft had no problem completing my background check, but they aren't offering me any incentive to drive other than a questionable claim that I can make $27 an hour.
$27 per hour is really $20 per hour net after ALL expenses..... I can make $20 an hour sitting on a manufacturing production line doing mindless work , getting health insurance, OT, 501k matching, vacation and sick pay, and unemployment compensation when the time comes.

Uber would need to offer consistent $40 an hour earnings just to MATCH that, much less be considered a better job.....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts