Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know iah pays a little better coz its further away. Im just trying to save time and trip coz i live closer to the galleria and Hobby Airport is closer to me. Is the wait about the same time? :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Leaving galleria empty & deadheading to either airport isn't the wisest strategy imho.

Most hobby pax are heading downtown. $8-10 fare for an hour + wait depending on time of day, q time, & # flights arriving. I've had $45 x fares, but those are the very rare birds.

You'll often wait less in galleria with hotel or biz building runs to either airport.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, it makes sense though an hour wait at the hobby with just $10 when compared to bush an hour wait can get you roughly about $20 plus dollars for the trip

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
And Bush is often twice the wait or more. Time is money.

Not sure why many think the only way to do uber is wait at airports. Used to be that way some time ago, now wait times make it...... A waste of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have never parked and waited at IAH. In fact, I don't have and will not get the required airport sticker. I also stay away from the city. My strategy is to cruise the suburbs where I snag rides that are longer. My average ride is 9 miles. Occasionally, I get rides going to the airport or the city. These are nice, but it's a deadhead ride to get back to my territory or home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never parked and waited at IAH. In fact, I don't have and will not get the required airport sticker. I also stay away from the city. My strategy is to cruise the suburbs where I snag rides that are longer. My average ride is 9 miles. Occasionally, I get rides going to the airport or the city. These are nice, but it's a deadhead ride to get back to my territory or home.
if you dont wait at the airport, and you average 9 miles per trip, do you even earn enough for the whole day?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And Bush is often twice the wait or more. Time is money.

Not sure why many think the only way to do uber is wait at airports. Used to be that way some time ago, now wait times make it...... A waste of time.
so you suggest not waiting at the airport? i got lucky this Wednesday afternoon. I went the tnc waited for about 1 half hour, then got my pax headed to the woodlands, then from woodlands i picked up another pax headed to the iah, then waited 30 min then took my last pax to downtown. It worked really well for me, but i know i wont ever get lucky like that again. I am just trying not to waste to much time waiting too.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You're very lucky, 30 minute waits at iah are quite rare. Most on this forum (myself included) believe new drivers are given priority for rides, and better rides, for several weeks.... Uber setting the hook. This may be happening, take advantage of it while it lasts.

There comes a point when waiting isn't worth it, one can make more money in-town. This is dependent on queue size and how fast it's moving. And what time of day, & what day, so you can guage your expected income in-town vs waiting at airport. For instance, 10am & 2pm are slow times in-town, it may be better to wait at iah depending on q size and turnaround.

And if your dropping off at Bush with a q of 200 at 3pm,may be better to head downtown & catch a few rush hour rides hopefully at surge.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
As for hobby, I rarely wait if I see it'll be more than a half hour. What for. I can spend 10 minutes driving to med center or downtown and get an instant ping, often better fare than a hobby ride. Again, depends what time, q size, what day.... Experience will show you rider patterns and trends.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
What the hell that my spots..hobby is avg 1 hr most days for me. my real job is there. $10-$15 avg. If your in the galleria stay there sit on the mall ect.....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
so you suggest not waiting at the airport? i got lucky this Wednesday afternoon. I went the tnc waited for about 1 half hour, then got my pax headed to the woodlands, then from woodlands i picked up another pax headed to the iah, then waited 30 min then took my last pax to downtown. It worked really well for me, but i know i wont ever get lucky like that again. I am just trying not to waste to much time waiting too.
If you just started Uber recently, then you are getting the Koolaid runs. Work around the clock and take advantage of them. They done last long.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Living in Kingwood, I keep an eye on the airport during the week. Once it starts to drop fairly quickly (less than 60 cars), then I'll head over there. Typically happens only a couple times a week.

Other wise, I will just leave my phone on at home. In all areas, I avoid all "big name streets, since these are likely a business, and 90%+ of the time a short ride. I will only pick up from a house, unless I know it is a hotel and it is before 7pm.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Get me is the only co. That can work there
Drivers down there have been making a couple hundred/night this weekend thanks to mardi gras. Most of their regular business does come from the cruise terminal. If anyone has ever driven Uber down there, you would know, its not a bad fare. (getme also charges 30% more + tips)

The permit is stupid though. Something about you cant have over 120k miles or something? Also, I think its close to $300. Although, I will probably end up getting one when I get a newer vehicle, if my engine ever blows out.

The getme manager said they ware trying to get the mileage lifted, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They don't have the heart or balls like Uber.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts