Uber Drivers Forum banner

Assuming your Uber ride is $15, how much more are you willing to pay for our safety feature?

• $0

• max. $0.5

• max. $1

• max. $2

• max. $3

• max. $4

• max. $5

• > $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Uber community!

We are a research team hoping to gain important insights on our voice-enabled AI phone application that detects signs of sexual harassment and deploys safety, precautionary interventions (e.g. triggering fake phone calls, notifying friends/families).

As this solution helps to improve Uber safety for riders and prevents possible assault, my team is hoping to gauge feedback on your willingness to pay to use this feature as an add-on.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Hi Uber community!

We are a research team hoping to gain important insights on our voice-enabled AI phone application that detects signs of sexual harassment and deploys safety, precautionary interventions (e.g. triggering fake phone calls, notifying friends/families).

As this solution helps to improve Uber safety for riders and prevents possible assault, my team is hoping to gauge feedback on your willingness to pay to use this feature as an add-on.

*Note: Uber currently charges $1 per ride as a safety fee to cover costs (i.e. background check process, regular motor vehicle checks, driver safety education, current and future development features in the app, and insurance)
Let UBER or pax pay for it. We cover 99% of the costs as is. Car. Fuel. Everything besides the app.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
I think a voice-enabled detection app could be super dangerous for drivers as many times, with only asking the rider how her day is, subjects are brought up i.e. how her foursome was interrupted by her boyfriend suddenly getting sick. Now if any “code words” are spoken by her, not by me at all, and this thing gets triggered, how am I protected? Especially when Uber supports a rider first/drivers don’t matter until they say everything is recorded on dash cam attitude.
I understand sexual harassment happens all the time, and there is nothing that is going to stop every single stupid driver who continues to do so from continuing. Nothing happens in my vehicle, I have cameras, a creep-free vehicle where I sit so I can’t see the riders eyes in my mirrors so they won’t feel like I am checking them out when I am simply watching other cars, and there is no chance of me reaching back and grabbing them as all passages to the rear are all blocked by items in the way so I believe women feel comfortable with me and their ride.

There are many ways for SOBER women to deter anything happening but the big problem has to be the drunk/pass out drunk women in these people’s cars.
This is always going to be a huge, serious issue but other than supplying riders with tasers, the 911 panic button is the best defense. Driver’s need to understand that this behavior is not ok, but let’s face it, lots of these drivers find it difficult to not stop in a live lane when there is a spot to pull over 5 feet ahead, or turning left from the right hand lane.
Good luck I hope you figure something out!

·
Premium Member
8,533 Posts
Hi Uber community!

Since this is a drivers forum how about you read through the forums and look into ways to keep the drivers safe too.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Since this is a drivers forum how about you read through the forums and look into ways to keep the drivers safe too.
Correct. We're here to make money. Period.

Often enough, these sexual assaults are done by 1. culturally-blind drivers 2. "Fake" or "impersonating" drivers and 3. people who'd do it whether they're driving rideshare or not - they just had to handle the goods instead of window shopping.

If safety was of such importance, these things would've been implemented years ago - only when the PR department gets a phone call from head office does anything ever get done or put into action.

·
Premium Member
8,533 Posts
Correct. We're here to make money. Period.

Often enough, these sexual assaults are done by 1. culturally-blind drivers 2. "Fake" or "impersonating" drivers and 3. people who'd do it whether they're driving rideshare or not - they just had to handle the goods instead of window shopping.

If safety was of such importance, these things would've been implemented years ago - only when the PR department gets a phone call from head office does anything ever get done or put into action.
Dont forget #4. Drivers who have been falsely accused.

Always have a dashcam

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Asking drivers to give a portion of their earnings for each ride to pay for safety features is a bad start. Drivers already have to dish out money to buy a dashcam for driver’s/riders safety. Safety features should be implemented in the rideshare app for free, not at the cost of the driver..

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi Uber community!

Here is a good research tip for starters: Ask Uber how much are they willing to pay?

·
Premium Member
20,853 Posts
Hi Uber community!

WTF? why would I pay? you should pay me... and if you wondering how much? you cant afford it. Worst.....Idea......Ever.... and you want me to pay for it?! get out of here.

·
Banned
17,425 Posts
Amusingly, they have found only a SINGLE person in these pages who would bay anything but ZERO dollars to have an App spy on them and their passengers, and likely trigger more false alarms than have any useful function.

Years ago, I had a baby monitor for my first child, it had one of these pads that you'd put under the crib-matress and if the child didn't move or stirr for a certain period of time, it would set off an alarm (as if the baby was dying of SIDS or something). Seemed like an OK idea to new parents who were really cautious about thier new baby. However, the implementation of this was awful, and false alarms all the time gave us panic attacks. We lasted about 2 weeks before this aspect of the baby monitor was unplugged and thrown into the garbage. Sometimes common sense is simply a better tool than 'new technology'.

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Everyone should change their vote to $5+ so they implement this dumb idea and we can get a chuckle about it later.

I’m first. I will give all of the proceeds of my rides to an app that will make sure that I don’t rape someone.

Thank you “Uber Driver Rape Stopper App”!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.