Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if I should bother getting the cables and setting up my stereo so passengers can plug in and listen to their music through my stereo/if it's worth it.. It's a good system so I'm a bit worried they'll want to jam it as loud as it will go (and I won't want to listen)..
How many of your pax ask to plug in to your system / do you let them / is it ever a problem?

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
There's a way to do this through the Uber ap. Easy to set up. If your ride has aux usb port, just hand them the cable and their music will play on your system. That said, I wouldn't recommend it. You may find their music annoying and the volume will be deafening! I no longer offer the option but if they know it exists they ask. Then you have to transform into volume police! Meh, why invite something else you need to potentially scold a pax about.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should bother getting the cables and setting up my stereo so passengers can plug in and listen to their music through my stereo/if it's worth it.. It's a good system so I'm a bit worried they'll want to jam it as loud as it will go (and I won't want to listen)..
How many of your pax ask to plug in to your system / do you let them / is it ever a problem?
It happens usually at least once or twice a night, often more than this. But, I just put it on a pop station on XM ( "the blend" ) and that suffices most of the time, or they want to play hip hop ( which I do not like ).

·
25,026 Posts
through the Uber ap. Easy to set up.
I tried to "set it up" following the prompts on the Uber application and it did not work. Of course, I have trouble with technology. I have a hard time working a pushbutton telephone.

In answer to the Original Poster's question, I have had two Uber Taxi and one UberX passenger do it. They managed to monkey with the controls and get it to work. When they asked, I told them that I had tried and could not get it to work, but, if they wanted to try it, they could.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't allow it. Some pax see the aux port on my stereo and ask if they can play music but wouldn't ya know my phone connects over bluetooth and I don't carry an aux cord anymore :)

I play local FM stations, usually classic rock or a new alt station in the area, but also have some country stations on the preset list. If a pax asks nicely, I'll change to another preset if they don't like classic rock or something, but it's rare anyone asks to change. More often than not somebody starts singing along to the alt station and I'll turn it up to drown out their horrible rendition of Semisonic's "Closing time"

·
Registered
231 Posts
I kept getting pax asking if I hand an aux cord, after telling them no they seemed to get a little pissy and I believe rated me low as well. So a couple of months ago I went ahead and bought one. Now that I have one nobody asks to use it. I'm ok with that.

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
As long as it's music I like, they can listen all they want.

If they want to play something in particular I'm ok with that as long as it not rap. The rap I'll tolerate is back fromt he 80's beastie boys, run dmc. that this f... this f... that nonsene they have today.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I have one, and have offered it for long rides. No one has asked to use it or accept my offer either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have one, and have offered it for long rides. No one has asked to use it or accept my offer either.
I usually only get the request for my AUX cable when I do college runs. Schools out for summer, so I've not had any requests for almost two months. I think it's nice to offer for airport pickups, if they don't like the jazz or instrumental playlist I run, but trips under 10 minutes need not inquire.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you have satellite radio, then put it on a popular radio station. If you don't have it, old fashion FM radio.

No need to distract yourself even more. Most rides are under 10 minutes anyway. Waste of time. Uber doesn't pay enough and respect their drivers enough to go above and beyond for them. If electronic tipping was available, then maybe my tone would change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have XM radio and have asked people what type of music they like. Most just say that they don't care or they like just about anything. So, I usually keep it on the today's pop station. If it's a short ride I don't ask. I did have one that wanted to listen to classical. She was appreciative that I could accommodate her.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't have an aux port on my stereo, but I bought a cheap FM transmitter that serves the same function. If they ask, and many of them do, I just hand them the dongle. I turn the radio to a volume level that I know will not be excessive and tell them that they have the volume control on their phone. It gives them a sense of control, but You have the ultimate volume control.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My Bluetooth is connected to my Aux but allows for two devices to be paired at the same time. What I do is set up guided access on my iPad to Spotify. Guided access doesn't allow the user to switch out of the application without passcode or fingerprint (don't know if android has such a feature). So they can't play or snoop around my iPad.

When the pax gets in and settled, I hand them my iPad and ask if they would like to choose the music. Ever since I started doing that, I get rated more and haven't seen anything less than 5* in months. I don't mount the iPad because by me handing it to the pax they know that I know they have my iPad. Usually they are good at handing it back sometimes I have to ask.

Only once I suffered through death metal for twenty minutes. Had to take a 30 min break to calm my nerves. More often than not, I get exposed to new music I like. So I ask the pax to save the song or channel for me. I usually drive listening to the blues channel. Often the pax likes what I have playing. It's interesting the generation gap after concerts. Older pax 35+ typically like it quiet after a concert. Younger pax likes to crank it. But I still control the volume. I'll ask if it's too loud or or if they want it louder but I don't allow my music to be cranked up to max!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts