Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you call pax to find out if their destination and cancel if it's too far (like during this weekends get the trips guarantee) or too short a ride? I felt bad for a nice couple I picked up from fashion show mall. They had requested 4 times before me. All 4 drivers called and when driver found out they wanted to go to the M driver hung up and cancelled. I think that's actually a pretty crummy self serving thing to do. They could not understand why it was so hard to get a ride. This practice widespread only increase tension between rider and driver. Anyway..they could not thank me enough for showing up. Offered me food and drink on a 7/11 stop I made for them and gave me a $10 tip. I'm after the guarantee too.....and I'm going to get it but that was a nice $26 run with lovely people. I know we are all trying to maximize our earning as best we can but we should also remember these riders are our customers. I fear this practice will earn us a reputation no better then cab drivers have earned.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I never do. Ever. I got a call out to Nellis and Washington one night when I was sitting in the parking lot at THE PALMS!!!! I was going to cancel, then I was going to call, but it's when I first started and didn't realize I could or "should." lol. So, I drove out there and picked up this super nice kid that said 3 drives had canceled on him. He was afraid he wasn't going to get a ride. I took him to the airport and he left me the loveliest 5 star comment. I rolled the dice and totally made someone's day. After that experience, I just try to think of who is on the other end of that request.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never do. Ever. I got a call out to Nellis and Washington one night when I was sitting in the parking lot at THE PALMS!!!! I was going to cancel, then I was going to call, but it's when I first started and didn't realize I could or "should." lol. So, I drove out there and picked up this super nice kid that said 3 drives had canceled on him. He was afraid he wasn't going to get a ride. I took him to the airport and he left me the loveliest 5 star comment. I rolled the dice and totally made someone's day. After that experience, I just try to think of who is on the other end of that request.
Wow..I commend you! That's quite a long ride. I don't accept anything longer then 10 minutes away. I fell that is pretty generous. I got burned 1 1/2 hours wasted time answering a call up by Nellis. Turned out to be a woman getting discharged from the base emergency room. They would not let me on base to get her. I even tried going to the visitor center to get a pass. No go. I often wonder how that poor woman got home from the hospital.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go that far again, but it worked out for me and it was a nice long ride to the airport. It could've turned out differently, but I got lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I barely call and ask for the destination. But depending on my mood, i might call though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Agr
Do you call pax to find out if their destination and cancel if it's too far (like during this weekends get the trips guarantee) or too short a ride? I felt bad for a nice couple I picked up from fashion show mall. They had requested 4 times before me. All 4 drivers called and when driver found out they wanted to go to the M driver hung up and cancelled. I think that's actually a pretty crummy self serving thing to do. They could not understand why it was so hard to get a ride. This practice widespread only increase tension between rider and driver. Anyway..they could not thank me enough for showing up. Offered me food and drink on a 7/11 stop I made for them and gave me a $10 tip. I'm after the guarantee too.....and I'm going to get it but that was a nice $26 run with lovely people. I know we are all trying to maximize our earning as best we can but we should also remember these riders are our customers. I fear this practice will earn us a reputation no better then cab drivers have earned.
Agreed

·
Registered
251 Posts
When i first started yes i would take requests that were far from me. They werd usually bullshit rides. The kast one i took was from a guy that was 13 min from me. I get his a$$ from a PTs pub just to take him a 1/4 of a mile to his apt. On top of that i had to stop at a pizza place and a liquor store. Made $2.75!!!!! From that point on i decided to call.ppl that were too far from me. Im sure they can find somebody that is learning the ropes to go get them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
When i first started yes i would take requests that were far from me. They werd usually bullshit rides. The kast one i took was from a guy that was 13 min from me. I get his a$$ from a PTs pub just to take him a 1/4 of a mile to his apt. On top of that i had to stop at a pizza place and a liquor store. Made $2.75!!!!! From that point on i decided to call.ppl that were too far from me. Im sure they can find somebody that is learning the ropes to go get them.
I got a better idea. Don't accept rides that are more than 5 mins from your location. I would never accept a request more than 5 mins unless it is a Select ride.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
If I lived in north Las Vegas area, I would make a killing... Lots of short ride requests, but not enough rides going back towards the strip so many people just cancel..

·
Registered
709 Posts
If I lived in north Las Vegas area, I would make a killing... Lots of short ride requests, but not enough rides going back towards the strip so many people just cancel..
I never accept X rides from North Las Vegas. Select rides are almost non-existent except for Aliante area and the airport.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not driving today. Spend the whole day with the family at home. How is it out there?
It's been good for me...knocking out 3 easy rides an hour. 2 to go for my 50, I'll do 3 then go relax and do laundry the rest of the day. Maybe a movie and dinner out tonight They do something like this every week in San Fran......I hope they bring it back next weekend for the holiday!

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
It's been good for me...knocking out 3 easy rides an hour. 2 to go for my 50, I'll do 3 then go relax and do laundry the rest of the day. Maybe a movie and dinner out tonight They do something like this every week in San Fran......I hope they bring it back next weekend for the holiday!
No offense to others. I prefer this kind of incentives rather than hourly guarantee or Lyft primetime guarantee.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I felt bad for a nice couple I picked up from fashion show mall. They had requested 4 times before me. All 4 drivers called and when driver found out they wanted to go to the M driver hung up and cancelled. I think that's actually a pretty crummy self serving thing to do. They could not understand why it was so hard to get a ride.
Vegas itself is the problem. With the large majority of rides in one small area of the city it creates much less want for people to be out away from that. Sure you might be a 'decent' fare down to there, but then you either have to burn gas and miles to get back or wait who-knows-how-long for another ride which might, /might/ get you back to where it's busy.
Plus the fact that so many rides ARE so short means that people will base their schedules around that -- if someone has to be in NLV in an hour they can't be thrown down to the opposite end of the city, but when 97% of rides wouldn't be an issue, telling them they shouldn't be online isn't very fair either.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I report drivers that do this... Uber is set up to avoid cherry picking... Just drive. Now as a driver I will time out pings at place I know will be short...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think that's actually a pretty crummy self serving thing to do. They could not understand why it was so hard to get a ride. This practice widespread only increase tension between rider and driver.
I agree it is a pretty crummy thing to do.

However, who's to blame here?

Is it Uber for causing it to happen with 2 and 3 dollars trips Or is it the Pax who drunk the Uber Koo-laid and insisted on believing that their 2 or 3 dollars trip included a tip?

I certainly don't blame the drivers and I'm sure when you have enough of those 5 to 8 miles drives to pick up destinations only to find out your Pax is going 1 or 2 miles, then you wouldn't blame them either.

And yes there are good, decent people who get the short end of things in the midst of this Uber war with the drivers but if Uber wanted to offer a truly reliable service worthy of ratings and stars, they would have started by taking care of the workforce that allows them to exist.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts