Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently putting about 1,000 miles weekly, probably a bit more. I am worried about the regulation the city put in place because 150,000 miles can easily be obtained and my vehicle will reach that in 2 or, if I am lucky, 3 years. I have payments for the vehicle that are set up for five years. How many of you have this concern?

I may have screwed myself over with this company. How much longer will you guys work for this company? Soon as my mileage runs out then so does my job with Uber. I have long term plans, but not with Uber. Not anymore, at least.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that you will be able to get a TNC permit with over 150K miles, but it will require additional inspection. And I agree it's quite easy to rack up miles. I usually put on 300-400 in a weekend.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Looks like you will have to pay your car off faster. Next time look for a cash car. Its very simple to find Uber ready used cars for less than 10k.

How many miles do you have?

You may have to reduce your dead miles and spend more time waiting. i.e. drop someone off and wait for the next ride.

If you have 100k miles on your vehicle, you still have 50k left. Even after Uber's fee's you should be averaging close to $1.00/mile. Of course this does not take into account your expenses, but that shouldn't be more than 15-20 cents a mile. So you have about $30,000 left on the car to make.

I know I will probably get harassed about expenses from trolls this forum but that 15-20 cents a mile is what your expenses really break down into and those guys read too much into it, probably to put the brakes on other drivers.

That 30k should be enough to pay off your car. If you do not have the cash at that time, your current vehicle can be used as a trade in.

My question is, Will the city of Houston allow you to renew your permit for a year with 149,000 miles? Common sense would tell them that you will hit that mark quickly, but if you are close, stop driving and wait for the new inspection so you can use the vehicle for another year. Good luck if regulation pulls you over and checks your odometer when you have 200k miles before July!

Speaking of July, is the current permit good until July 1st, or July 31st? Can we start getting our permits in June?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I have 171K miles already and I average more than 1K miles a week. if mileage restriction comes, we will be screwed.
City of Houston already has this in place. The limit is 150k miles. Once this ordinance passed and started to be enforced, half the drivers went away, and it stayed really busy since.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cash cars are a great idea, if your city has not imposed mileage restrictions. I have been with company for a year and when I first started I actually bought a 2004 Chevy cavalier with 240,000 miles. I made my money back in a month, but when they put those mileage restrictions and vehicle year restrictions, shit hit the fan. Unfortunately, I bought a 2014 car before the restrictions thinking Everything was going to be peachy. Nope!

Currently my car has 53,000 miles and most dead miles come from dropping off a passenger far away from hot zones. I have a new technique to reduce dead miles, but not full proof. I refuse to pay my car off faster as I have other bills to pay.

Yes, there is a way to extend the life of a vehicle after the 150,000 mile limitation, but for an extra year only. If you get a vehicle inspection and the mileage reads 149,991 miles, the city will accept it. Hypothetically speaking, if you drive 1,000 miles a week and there are 52 or 54 weeks in a year, I forget, that adds up to 54,000 miles in a year. I would say more or less, but it's actually more, assuming you are a full timer. Part timers are the only ones who have nothing to worry about.

Full timers, do you guys feel it's worth it in the long run? what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, dead miles happen when one hot spot is not so hot and you have to move around to, at the very least, another hot spot in order to meet guarantee.

Another way this happens is when there are no Guarantees, I will go out of my way to avoid short trips to get the more profitable ones. Who wants to wait thirty or forty minutes for a $5.10 fare or something like $8. No way.

Dead miles add up if you have to drive 7-10 minutes away to pick up pax. Sure, you can cancel, but it will lower your acceptance rate and you will have to compensate for driver cancellation. Over time that shit adds up.

I don't mind non-surge trips as long as I know it's surging out there, but I do my best to accept most surge price trips.

When I go out to Uber, I go out with a goal in mind. Sometimes, in order to meet my goal, dead miles are a must.

If you guys think you can avoid dead miles, you are dead wrong. Dead miles are a must if you want to make MONEY.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I don't care how many miles I do if the demand were there. It's physically impossible to go over a certain limit. Say you do 300 every day, that's 109,500 a year. If you properly maintain your vehicle, you should be able to get 300,000 miles out of it. and if I'm making money on those miles, then it's fine. But I'm not. An engine sitting at idle and stop and go traffic constantly will probably not make it to 300,000, let alone 100,000 miles, and that is unfortunately what it will be doing in Houston since these lower rates have attracted nothing but cheap weirdos who can't use the app. Now if I were generating say 50 cents on average per mile and able to drive the car properly to 300,000 miles, that's $150k. I don't know, call me cynical but this shit is not set up right. It's way to hard on our cars and the compensation is not worth it from the math I'm doing. Let's say I did go full ****** and decide to commit suicide by idling my car all day in a parking lot waiting for $3.20 fares from idiots who can't use the app.. just a hypothetical, and let's say I do average .50 for every mile. Then I suppose I could make just enough to cover the cost of the car and all expenses and taxes by the time my car dies at 100,000 miles. Except I'd be at a loss for all the time I wasted.

I just sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs with 60,000 miles on my car of 85% Uber driving. I will report back their findings after they analyze the oil, which should give them information on the health of my engine. I've always performed oil changes on time and used top grade synthetic, except once when the dealer put in non-synthetic for some reason, but I caught it and simply changed my oil after 4k instead of 10k. Should have the results next week.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't care how many miles I do if the demand were there. It's physically impossible to go over a certain limit. Say you do 300 every day, that's 109,500 a year. If you properly maintain your vehicle, you should be able to get 300,000 miles out of it. and if I'm making money on those miles, then it's fine. But I'm not. An engine sitting at idle and stop and go traffic constantly will probably not make it to 300,000, let alone 100,000 miles, and that is unfortunately what it will be doing in Houston since these lower rates have attracted nothing but cheap weirdos who can't use the app. Now if I were generating say 50 cents on average per mile and able to drive the car properly to 300,000 miles, that's $150k. I don't know, call me cynical but this shit is not set up right. It's way to hard on our cars and the compensation is not worth it from the math I'm doing. Let's say I did go full ****** and decide to commit suicide by idling my car all day in a parking lot waiting for $3.20 fares from idiots who can't use the app.. just a hypothetical, and let's say I do average .50 for every mile. Then I suppose I could make just enough to cover the cost of the car and all expenses and taxes by the time my car dies at 100,000 miles. Except I'd be at a loss for all the time I wasted.

I just sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs with 60,000 miles on my car of 85% Uber driving. I will report back their findings after they analyze the oil, which should give them information on the health of my engine. I've always performed oil changes on time and used top grade synthetic, except once when the dealer put in non-synthetic for some reason, but I caught it and simply changed my oil after 4k instead of 10k. Should have the results next week.
Thanks! Are you UberX or UberBlack? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I am just trying to clarify.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts

In Houston at 150,000 you'll need to get a new car anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
In Houston at 150,000 you'll need to get a new car anyway.
The great thing about shock absorbers on mass produced vehicles is replacing them is relatively cheap, and they absorb the shock that would otherwise transfer to your other parts of your car which aren't designed to sustain them. Unfortunately with UberX, that kind of smart maintenance cannot be employed. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time affording a sandwich.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
The great thing about shock absorbers on mass produced vehicles is replacing them is relatively cheap, and they absorb the shock that would otherwise transfer to your other parts of your car which aren't designed to sustain them. Unfortunately with UberX, that kind of smart maintenance cannot be employed. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time affording a sandwich.
It's not the shocks and the Houston potholes I'm referencing, it's the Houston city requirements for TNC vehicles.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
It's not the shocks and the Houston potholes I'm referencing, it's the Houston city requirements for TNC vehicles.
Yea that's a dumb rule because taxi's don't have such a requirement. Why should we? It's such a joke I don't even take it seriously. I'm only at 60k, hoping by the time 150k comes around it will be gone. If not then I'm ****ed, but I was ****ed anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you are willing to drive 50,000 miles a year, you may as well apply to be a trucker. Better pay for sure.
It better pay well. Imagine one day without truckers, the whole economy would shut down. Imagine New York without taxis. It would be paralyzed. Houston without Taxi/Uber's would also have a huge paralyzing affect on the city more so than I think people realize. Yet the pay is shit for these critical jobs which hold the economy together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts