Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Depends on the car, how you drive and wear and tear. When I started with my pickup in August of 2015, I had 150 miles on it, I've now got 22,200 miles, I do this part time maybe three days/evenings per week, knock on wood, other than oil changes I've had no other issues, but I have noticed, while they are still good, my brakes have some extra fade to them. Nissan recommends brake system flush at 20K, when mine goes in for paint warranty in two weeks, I'll be paying to have the brakes flushed and rotors turned.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
How long would the average new car last, doing uber Full time 50 hrs a week?
I'd say your run of the mill sedan will need a new ****** around 125,000 ( I'm used to older american cars, but maybe/probably newer ones, japanese/german are better built)
If it's a Suburban, probably over 200,000 and engine rebuilds, don't really know. A lot depends on the vehicle
and your driving style ( if you work the burbs, doing a lot of freeway/expressway miles versus inner city, lots of stop and go, breaking, etc,
the answer varies ).

If you are doing this, don't get a new car, get one that is two years old, you'll save a ton in depreciation,
then plan on a new car after 3 years ( so set the car payments to end in three ) and trade it in in 3, getting a new car,
and starting all over again.

But, in my view, the only platform that is profitable is possibly select, but I'd say the SUV platform, livery license ( TCP in CA ) and commercial insurance. As an SUV driver, I'm making more, driving less (45 hours per week), and not using my car, and that's after a $525 per week lease, uber commission, and gas, than I was driving 60 hours per week and ruining my UberX car while doing it. Another thing, Uber will lower rates on rideshares, but they never seem to mess with the livery class vehicles, that plus not having to be subjected to UberPool or whatever nonsense they come up with at the moment, i.e, they leave us livery drivers alone. In many areas, they put a cap on the available number of slots in the platform ( whereas in rideshare, they tend to flood the market ). So, if you are going to invest in Uber, go livery, or fogeddabowdit -- that's my view.

·
Registered
977 Posts
2 years old ? nonooo

You get a shitty Nissan Versa or compact car atleast 4 to 5 years old. Just enough to pass as a car. Buy for around $3 - $4k.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
2 years old ? nonooo

You get a shitty Nissan Versa or compact car atleast 4 to 5 years old. Just enough to pass as a car. Buy for around $3 - $4k.
what I don't like about old cars is that when they break down, it's always on, like, New Years Eve, or or Fourth of July, when you need the money the most.

·
Registered
712 Posts
a good while
4+ years if you didn't have any bad luck. Maybe more.

The problem is depreciation.

when you buy a new car you lose value straight off the lot.

So you need things to offset that. (prestige, peace of mind, etc)
ubering goes in the opposite direction

you buy a newber , and pretty soon all you've got is an uber

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have put over 10,000 miles on a new car I purchased in March, and I only do Uber part time (20 hours or less a week).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts