Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate getting to my stop and having to wait..I always text pax to tell them where I am located. But over a minute or so I am ready to go I wait max three minutes. Is this ok?

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
I hate getting to my stop and having to wait..I always text pax to tell them where I am located. But over a minute or so I am ready to go I wait max three minutes. Is this ok?
Everything is ok. It's your life. Pool rides give you $1.50 if you wait 2 minutes and cancel "no-show". There is a timer on the app. UberX you have to wait 5 minutes for $3.75, no timer in the app. If everyone ditched riders after 2 minutes though, riders would start coming out quicker. When they implemented the timer and cancel fee for pool, people started coming out quick, suddenly (for pool rides, anyway). This affect has tapered off since then. Last two weeks, hardly anyone has come out before two minutes. I bet it is because too many drivers waited longer than two minutes so people stopped worrying about it. Since we aren't all on the same page, you're left doing whatever. I would advocate not waiting to train riders to not waste our time, but that's not going to happen. So all that really matters: wait 5 minutes, get $3.75. Wait less, get zero until you pick someone else up. 2 minutes on pool. If it has already been 3 minutes, you're probably going to make more money just waiting and giving them a ride. If you cancel, then you have to wait for the next request and go to them and wait again, or even if they're outside already, you still probably had more down time while waiting for the request and driving to it than if you just waited for the rude slow person that you canceled on.
I think its 2 mins for Pool and 5 mins for X can someone confirm this?
He asked if it's ok to leave after 3 minutes, not how long does he have to wait to get a cancelation fee.

Reactions: Samuel ad

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
two minutes for pool or five for Uberx, if you want the cancellation fee

For UberX, if I've driven a short distance for pickup and can expect another ping quickly, I don't even give a full minute. I've never had issues with Uber writing me nasty grams about it, but if it ever occurs I'll just rely on the "It's illegal to wait there"

For Pool, I'll give them that 2 minutes and not a second more. Collect my fee and screw the rider. I have never "given them a few extra seconds", had the rider come out in that extra time, and not regretted it.

I never call unless it's a 2+ surge and either UberX or the first Pool

I never accept a call.

I never text, but if they text me I'll read it and sometimes take it into account and other times ignore it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is ok. It's your life. Pool rides give you $1.50 if you wait 2 minutes and cancel "no-show". There is a timer on the app. UberX you have to wait 5 minutes for $3.75, no timer in the app. If everyone ditched riders after 2 minutes though, riders would start coming out quicker. When they implemented the timer and cancel fee for pool, people started coming out quick, suddenly (for pool rides, anyway). This affect has tapered off since then. Last two weeks, hardly anyone has come out before two minutes. I bet it is because too many drivers waited longer than two minutes so people stopped worrying about it. Since we aren't all on the same page, you're left doing whatever. I would advocate not waiting to train riders to not waste our time, but that's not going to happen. So all that really matters: wait 5 minutes, get $3.75. Wait less, get zero until you pick someone else up. 2 minutes on pool. If it has already been 3 minutes, you're probably going to make more money just waiting and giving them a ride. If you cancel, then you have to wait for the next request and go to them and wait again, or even if they're outside already, you still probably had more down time while waiting for the request and driving to it than if you just waited for the rude slow person that you canceled on.

He asked if it's ok to leave after 3 minutes, not how long does he have to wait to get a cancelation fee.[/QUOTE

Thanks so much! Thanks for the detailed response!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I call frequently, particularly when it's in a busy area... it saves me time/hassle and riders seem to appreciate it. Riders seldom call me 1st, but if they do call, I answer their call...why not? - btw, I hate it when I call and get a voice message! - - I have instant texts ready to go and will use in those cases.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
its 2 minutes for pool, but if you cancel even after 2 minutes and your rate goes over 5% they can fire you
They "can" deactivate you for any reason, or no reason at all.

I have never had a cancellation rate less than 10%, and I don't even get warnings. The reality is I don't even worry about it, and cancel when I need, or want, to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Riders seldom call me 1st, but if they do call, I answer their call...why not? - btw, I hate it when I call and get a voice message! - - I have instant texts ready to go and will use in those cases.
Because youre already idling in a place that is probably illegal, on the lookout for bikes, cops and bike cops. When the phone rings it reverberates the default iPhone ringtone on full blast through my car stereo, which also turns off my music/podcast/news broadcast. Then I get to rip the thing out of my little phone stand, which always pulls off the phone stand. I then have to unplug the aux, turn off the Bluetooth, disconnect the power cord and answer so the passenger can say something stupid like "R U here?" When you spend 60+ hours a week in a car some things need to be sacred. Like your radio controls. I automatically one star phone callers. If you can't utilize modern technology to locate the car you requested within 5 minutes then there's nothing I can say on the phone to change your life trajectory. I HATE phone people. Hate.

·
Registered
668 Posts
yeah pretty much anytime a rider calls its because they ****ed up in some way. i wait longer than two minutes for pool riders unless i have another rider waiting either in the car or next in line. I usually call at about a minute and a half to let them know im outside. im sure they dont like it but oh well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Because youre already idling in a place that is probably illegal, on the lookout for bikes, cops and bike cops. When the phone rings it reverberates the default iPhone ringtone on full blast through my car stereo, which also turns off my music/podcast/news broadcast. Then I get to rip the thing out of my little phone stand, which always pulls off the phone stand. I then have to unplug the aux, turn off the Bluetooth, disconnect the power cord and answer so the passenger can say something stupid like "R U here?" When you spend 60+ hours a week in a car some things need to be sacred. Like your radio controls. I automatically one star phone callers. If you can't utilize modern technology to locate the car you requested within 5 minutes then there's nothing I can say on the phone to change your life trajec tory. I HATE phone people. Hate.
Riders call me less than 5% of the time...I totally understand what you go through and you described it well. I use independent blue tooth for any calls so it's very easy. Usually, I don't remove my phone from cradle. Merely push contact/ call/phone...nbd for me. When I call riders, which I do frequently in busy areas, I call when i'm one or two blocks away...saves lots of time. Plus there are numerous times when passengers drop a pin for their location.That can be totally off and you'll never know if you don't communicate with them.

So yes, we have all kinds of technology to use when driving - the phone just happens to be one very useful one for me.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I call every rider 1 minute after waiting. Enough passengers misplace pins so I just call every rider I'm waiting for to make sure I'm in the right place.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I call every rider 1 minute after waiting. Enough passengers misplace pins so I just call every rider I'm waiting for to make sure I'm in the right place.
By calling 1 or 2 blocks before, it ensures you are going to the right place and it "lets the rider know to be ready"...if they're not I may just take off. Most people are pretty good about being ready...btw, if they're talking on the phone when you call them, you of course roll over to voice mail. - - So, then I shoot them an auto text. - - There's no way I'm waiting 3 or 4 minutes for someone to come out to the curb...

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Wait untill they come out.
Never start the trip before they in a car.
If then dont come out within 30 min..then try calljng then.
Wait 30 more min then call again.
Do the process 4 times.
If still no...go and knock on the door.
If still nothing leave a note on a door with ur number to call when they ready.
If still nothing un install uber and go back to Sacramento and do rides there

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
I think its 2 mins for Pool and 5 mins for X can someone confirm this?
This sounds about right to me.

5 minutes is long but right for an X. I usually call at around 3 minutes also. For pool i call about a minute and 30 seconds in. Waiting for pax is too boring.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The key is to have windows slightly down and doors locked, if name isn't confirmed (unless residential address) and they're not ready, they clearly don't respect others time and get "no show" cancelled. They complain and tell me they're going to dispute charges, but are clearly ignorant of TOS and common courtesy--should be treated as such. I think it's up to all of us to instill a little Pavlovian conditioning.

I've lived the majority of my life as a chronic procrastinator, and have paid a small fortune on missed rides/flights/opportunities. At some point you either learn from the consequences of your actions, or....

If high surge, will immediately send out text and call after a minute. On rare occasion I accept a non-surge ride, or boost: wait 20 seconds (while constantly surveilling for cops), then leave to find safe place to park (won't double park), cancel after 2, or 5 minutes (based on timer from my dashcam), switch off accept new rides, screenshot just before cancelling, aaand cancel. This method eliminates chances of getting a ticket and my personal way of punishing inconsiderate pax. I turn off the accept new rides to eliminate chances of getting low rating--learned this after very interesting situation. I do reply to texts and calls--great way of screening pax. If misplaced pin, explain to them that: 1. they can cancel and get new ride (pool: they're SOL), or 2. I can turn on meter and pick them up. If they're belligerent, hangup, wait and collect cancellation fee.

I don't mind waiting, since I can refill my water, eat, or work on puzzles on a tablet, but probably a good time to read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts