Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
It depends on the tyre, the car, the suspension set up etc. For a normal road tyre on a Camry you should expect 70-80,000km. If it's a low profile high performance tyre on an Audi with sports suspension you might only get 40-50,000.

If your tyres have worn out too quickly get a wheel alignment. Poorly aligned wheels can wear your tyres out in no time.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Extend the life of your tyres by inflating to the proper pressure, measuring it yourself with a pressure gauge. The ones at the pumps may be correct but you can't rely on them. Also inspect the tyres from time to time to prise out any gravel lodging between the treads. Note that higher pressures may cause higher wear on centre treads, and lower pressures may cause higher wear on edge treads, especially the outer edge. Good wheel alignment, as posted by Damo66 is important.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm at 95K kms on my original tyres (Hankook) but they are ready for renewal. There are some obvious things you need to do: Keep your pressure always on the high side (around 220 kPa for most tyres) and most importantly drive smoothly. This makes such a difference. Harsh acceleration and braking is just bad, bad and bad! Bad for brakes, engine, drive train, fuel and of course your tyres. A wise old uncle of mine said this to me once; the heat in your brake pads came from the fuel in your tank! Think about it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
don't forget to rotate your tyres!!! A few extra PSI will save money in fuel and handle better. its better to spend extra on tyres to get ones that save fuel and always ask for something that grips well in the wet. or you will be spending any money saved on new underwear and cleaning brown stains off the seats

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
don't forget to rotate your tyres!!! A few extra PSI will save money in fuel and handle better. its better to spend extra on tyres to get ones that save fuel and always ask for something that grips well in the wet. or you will be spending any money saved on new underwear and cleaning brown stains off the seats
By rotate your tyres, you mean this...?

Just remember which tyre was on which corner...and you should be right for another 80K

Attachments

·
Banned
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
For most medium sized cars there are a lot of good tyres around for something like $120/tyre and I agree with John that a low resistance tyre is very important. Fortunately most tyres today are rayed as such and makes a huge difference to the life-time running cost of the tyre

By rotate your tyres, you mean this...?

Just remember which tyre was on which corner...and you should be right for another 80K
Driving on the hubs doe make the speedo very inaccurate

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ohh no...19th century, pounds inches and miles...!! Thankfully metric scale provided.
Still cannot understand why USA is one of only 3 countries that are time locked in an imperial ..timewarp...

Good general info., though!
Because we kicked your ass, and than saved it for you! Not once but twice!!
Lol, because in the States, we don't give a crap about simplicity, we gotta keep it difficult.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
All good info in this thread, and especially Graham J's hints about driving techniques to make ALL of your car last longer. It's too easy to forget this stuff when you're in a hurry, or been driving longer stints.
Also, knowledgeable tyre professionals will tell you that, irrespective of tread depth, tyres over about 5 years old, or that have been unused for some time, are a very risky proposition. The year of manufacture of tyres is moulded on them.
They might look OK, but the compound goes hard and grip (especially in the wet) is greatly diminished, to the point of being dangerous.
I found this out in my XG Falcon ute which I bought with older tyres, when I suddenly found myself very sideways in a wet roundabout, and only just managed to gather it up safely. I've also had sidewall separation, with blowout, on an otherwise good-looking 7 year old tyre - luckily not on a busy road.
So, any temptation to skimp by buying used tyres from wreckers or second-hand dealers will likely prove to be a very false economy, and a possible lethal situation.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
In reality driving full time if you see 50-60 thousand out of your tyres you are doing well.
You are not out for your typical Sunday drive or work commute. Too many bad roads driveways too many kilometres done when alignment is not quite right but you don't get around to getting it right.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Is there any truth to the statement that replacement tyres do not last as long as the originals? As mentioned I'm close to 100K on myoriginal Hankook tyres but have been told that even if I get the exact same tyres I can probably only hope for 50K - 60K on their replacements

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
Is there any truth to the statement that replacement tyres do not last as long as the originals? As mentioned I'm close to 100K on myoriginal Hankook tyres but have been told that even if I get the exact same tyres I can probably only hope for 50K - 60K on their replacements
Manufactures " new car " tyres , exclusively available to the factory...
It that the angle?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.