Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that most drivers quit driving Uber within the first year .. . .

Is that true?

I have been driving for 4 years ( yeah . . some would say I am a glutton for punishment. . .or maybe masochistic. . )

How long has everyone been driving.?

I know the recent pandemic may schew the numbers a little. . . and yes I agree that Uber is crappy towards its drivers ( I use to argue that point but you frigging heathens have pulled me over to your way of thinking. . .. .)

Premium Member
4 years, usually 20 hours a week. I drove very little during Covid lockdowns. I usually try to drive 10 hours on Saturday. Mostly I like it, with only a few complaints.

I use the ASU scholarship for a family member, so that鈥檚 a $15,000 a year benefit.

Premium Member
Four years as well. About ten hours a week. Beer and golf money. Easiest side gig I ever had. To do this full time? Hell no. When it gets annoying, I just call it a day. You can鈥檛 do that if it鈥檚 your livelihood.
I also drove for Uber for 4 years. Prior to that, I drove a cab for 12 years. I did it full-time.
After putting 40,000 miles on my new car (bought a brand new car only had 17 miles on it) in 9 months, and not making it (cheap fares mostly), Uber kept screwing me big time.
I was out there 7 days/nights a week. Uber would offer incentives, yeah right! If you do 60 trips you'll get 250.00 extra. Well, I played their game once. I completed 59 super short trips (Uber made more than me, on most of them, they knew exactly what they were doing). I was just trying to make my 60th trip to collect the 250.00 bonus. I was online for 12 hours and not 1 ping.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
As a side hustle, that's ok if you don't mind getting screwed over.
Your car, your rideshare insurance, your maintenance, your gas, your time.
Hello IRS come tax time. You can't claim anything, but your cell phone and you can only claim 1/2 of your online miles. Which is a bunch of BS! Besides the fact, you have to pay a self-employment tax.
Uber found more loopholes to screw drivers over.
I QUIT DRIVING FOR UBER! AT LEAST I HAVE A REGULAR JOB NOW MAKING MORE $.
I AM HOPING THAT MORE DRIVERS WILL WAKE UP AND SEE WHAT UBER IS DOING!

Premium Member
2013 Toyota Prius
About 2.5 years. I started with Lyft, then added Uber about 2 months later.

Premium Member
I started driving for Uber in the middle of 2018. Haven't driven for them since the end of February 2020 though.

I'm not sure if I'll start driving again. I'd like to, but we'll see.

Premium Member
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Ltd
Driving Uber for 5 years. $5,500 per month income. Pay no taxes on income since I have a dedicated Uber car as well as a personal car. All miles are deductable. Working Mon-Thurs...40 hours.

Premium Member
OP, you do realize you're not going to get a valid sampling from this post, right? Having said that, party on Garth.

(4+ years for me, very part time and irregular)

Been driving 3 years now, started in June of 2018. Just over 4000 trips and just over 400 deliveries. (Deliveries just started in my area late Dec 2020)

Registered
I was told that most drivers quit driving Uber within the first year .. . .

Is that true?

I have been driving for 4 years ( yeah . . some would say I am a glutton for punishment. . .or maybe masochistic. . )

How long has everyone been driving.?

I know the recent pandemic may schew the numbers a little. . . and yes I agree that Uber is crappy towards its drivers ( I use to argue that point but you frigging heathens have pulled me over to your way of thinking. . .. .)
I have 2900 rides with Uber and 22,000 with lyft nearly 6 years..best years are in the rear view mirror...2011-2015 was lucrative years...yes burn out is a reality in this industry....when the money is good burn out ain't so bad

Premium Member
It will be six years in September. I did entirely Uber the first three years now almost exclusively Lyft. I can't get a request on Uber for the life of me.

Premium Member
Driving Uber for 5 years. $5,500 per month income. Pay no taxes on income since I have a dedicated Uber car as well as a personal car. All miles are deductable. Working Mon-Thurs...40 hours.
Over $1,200 per week for five years? In Pittsburgh? And no taxes due? Yeah, sure. And only working 40 hours per week? I don't think so. LOL

You can't maintain that level for that long, particularly if you're writing off so much mileage that youre showing a tax loss.

Or as we say here in Texas: I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Premium Member
Started in 2014. Drove full-time from 2014-2017. Drove bar closing, surges and events in 2018. Barely drove at all in 2019. Didn't drive at all in 2020. This year I got tempted by Uber's do 3 trips for $100 offer but my background check just isn't happening. I ceremoniously removed the Uber app from my phone a couple of weeks back.

Premium Member
I also drove for Uber for 4 years. Prior to that, I drove a cab for 12 years. I did it full-time.
After putting 40,000 miles on my new car (bought a brand new car only had 17 miles on it) in 9 months, and not making it (cheap fares mostly), Uber kept screwing me big time.
I was out there 7 days/nights a week. Uber would offer incentives, yeah right! If you do 60 trips you'll get 250.00 extra. Well, I played their game once. I completed 59 super short trips (Uber made more than me, on most of them, they knew exactly what they were doing). I was just trying to make my 60th trip to collect the 250.00 bonus. I was online for 12 hours and not 1 ping.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
As a side hustle, that's ok if you don't mind getting screwed over.
Your car, your rideshare insurance, your maintenance, your gas, your time.
Hello IRS come tax time. You can't claim anything, but your cell phone and you can only claim 1/2 of your online miles. Which is a bunch of BS! Besides the fact, you have to pay a self-employment tax.
Uber found more loopholes to screw drivers over.
I QUIT DRIVING FOR UBER! AT LEAST I HAVE A REGULAR JOB NOW MAKING MORE $.
I AM HOPING THAT MORE DRIVERS WILL WAKE UP AND SEE WHAT UBER IS DOING!
Please don't click on that big "B" button before writing. We can see your posts just fine.

Premium Member
Part time, 2.5 years. Stopped for about 12 weeks in 2020 during Covid. Both Uber and Lyft. At first I was 80-20 Uber. Now it鈥檚 the opposite due to the 3 ride streaks in my market from Lyft. I average about $700/week.

Premium Member
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Ltd
Over $1,200 per week for five years? In Pittsburgh? And no taxes due? Yeah, sure. And only working 40 hours per week? I don't think so. LOL

You can't maintain that level for that long, particularly if you're writing off so much mileage that youre showing a tax loss.

Or as we say here in Texas: I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
The numbers are correct. 150,000 miles in 2020 @ .58 per mile. Zero tax consequence.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts