Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,021 Posts
Started mom and pop 2nd job many years only 2 places. nothing changed...thats the difference between app and mom and pop..i came back for about 6 months this year in my off hours and days, pay was great covid tips as i say. i quit as i am to old to run food 59..but boy can it pay bill's imho app delivery is on another planet..i would do pizza hut first...just sharing my real 20 year experence..but many men here , dont have mom and pop citys.
owners will still be cheap $4 hour or so but delivery count will be high 40 night on 6 to 7 hours..sunday football season. alot of hours 100+thats what i dont miss. running like its walmart..cash on sundays $500 for 12 hours..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Started mom and pop 2nd job many years only 2 places. nothing changed...thats the difference between app and mom and pop..i came back for about 6 months this year in my off hours and days, pay was great covid tips as i say. i quit as i am to old to run food 59..but boy can it pay bill's imho app delivery is on another planet..i would do pizza hut first...just sharing my real 20 year experence..but many men here , dont have mom and pop citys.
owners will still be cheap $4 hour or so but delivery count will be high 40 night on 6 to 7 hours..sunday football season. alot of hours 100+thats what i dont miss. running like its walmart..cash on sundays $500 for 12 hours..
You had middle class people who did delivery full-time in the 70,80,90. Made enough to save for house and pay all their bills.

I think in way the apps is too many middle men. Especially for burger king or low value places .

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I remember when I was still doing ride share three years ago I pulled up to a Chinese restaurant in SF and a guy walks out to the car with around 10 orders of food to deliver. As it turned out he wanted me to drive him around so he could make all of his restaurants deliveries while he got the delivery fee and tip. I just laughed at him, canceled the ride and drove off.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
How Long : I would say about 5 years. I would have to check my tax returns to be more accurate.

What has changed : There used to be no slow times in my area except for closing at night. Although I do this after my regular job, I actually put in some serious hours. I do reach 40 Hours a week due to long Weekends. If I dipped below $1,000 a week in the past, it was a bad one. Now, if I get to $750, its a banner week. I am not talking about holiday weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
How Long : I would say about 5 years. I would have to check my tax returns to be more accurate.

What has changed : There used to be no slow times in my area except for closing at night. Although I do this after my regular job, I actually put in some serious hours. I do reach 40 Hours a week due to long Weekends. If I dipped below $1,000 a week in the past, it was a bad one. Now, if I get to $750, its a banner week. I am not talking about holiday weeks.
Part of the problem is millenials don't tip. The younger generation don't understand or believe in the tipping culture. The real money in the food service business has always been tips. This gig would not be worthwhile if suddenly everyone stopped tipping. You be better off going back to driving passengers.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I started doing pizza delivery in July of 1994. Minimum wage was around $3.35 or so (can't remember exactly) and I was lucky to make $60 on an average night, maybe $80 on weekends doing part time. I quit my BK management job in 1998 do to do pizza delivery full time and started making better money. $70-100 weeknights and $100-200+ on weekends. When I quit doing that, hourly rate was $15 in store and $13 on the road. I quit that job in December 2020 to dash full time.

I haven't really seen a difference from when I started doing DD in October 2019 to the present. I've figured out the best times to dash and I make money on those nights. My minimum is $10 and they pay me anywhere from $10-65. Gas prices are sill below $4 here and I own two hybrid Hondas that I use to deliver in.

Now that I've been away from the pizza delivery job long enough, I'm thinking of going back 2-3 nights in the fall but then again, I may not. It's too hot to work in that building in the summer. There were times when it was hotter in there than outside on a 95º day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts