Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Uber. In Dallas, TX. I have read all of the info in the app and the new info section of this forum. I have driven 3 days only to make$75. I know people must make a living or driving would not be so popular. I started the first day at a busy mall, 2nd day - Dallas Love Field Airport and 3rd day another mall. Any help is appreciated. At this point making less than min wage.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Welcome to Uber! Dallas is a great market, and Uber is always looking for new partners there with large bonuses. I would encourage you to read up on your local Uber homepage, then just follow the app. Your experience seems SIGNIFICANTLY below the average driver and even new driver in your market. I would suggest making sure your phone is not in airplane mode.

BTW, what other screen names do you use on UP? @ftupelo

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
I am new to Uber. In Dallas, TX. I have read all of the info in the app and the new info section of this forum. I have driven 3 days only to make$75. I know people must make a living or driving would not be so popular. I started the first day at a busy mall, 2nd day - Dallas Love Field Airport and 3rd day another mall. Any help is appreciated. At this point making less than min wage.
Stay away from malls and people shopping in general.

Look for people going to work/airport very early in the morning.

If you're willing to get out there at 4:30am, you might get the worm.

From 9 am to 4 pm each day. Is there a link to the Dallas forum?
Menu up top. You should find Cities.

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
Jesus, 9-4 is dumb in any market. Demand isn't set around your daily life schedule.

Usually a 4am-9am then a three to six or seven would be better results. It dies here from 9:30 till lunch time. Sometimes a town surge for lunch, but all short not worth it. Then it goes completely dead until afternoon rush. You'll NEVER make money 9-4.

·
Administrator
7,777 Posts
9-4 can be awesome if you know how to do it. If I can get started by 7 that's even better.

Learn your town. Know where big events are happening, conferences, etc...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
9-4 can be awesome if you know how to do it. If I can get started by 7 that's even better.
Yeah, little earlier start time is good, 7am seems optimal for me. I don't drive in that market, but if I start at 7am I usually have $75 by noon, sometimes it takes a little longer like until 3pm, othertimes I have $100 by noon. Either way a driver should make $75+/day, not over the course of 3 days.

·
Administrator
7,777 Posts
It's really all market dependent and knowing where the people are.

It's taken me a long while, lots of trial and error, hanging out here on the forms and event research to figure out when and where to drive. That includes keeping up with activities going on in neighboring communities.

I grossed $200 the other day in 5 hours and $75 today in 2. Sometimes it's luck of the draw, a lot of times it's just knowing my territory.

It's also knowing when not to drive.

Research pays off.

·
7,191 Posts
I get what she wants....no traffic.....but to make money your either
A. Driving both full rush
B. Driving drunks

By the time you turn on app at 9am, there's probably 20 drivers already sitting around from am rush.
I disagree. Early mornings are great for no traffic. And it's way before rush hour. At least in Madison.

·
7,191 Posts
There's no traffic after nine am because 90% of people are working and not hailing ubers
All I know if I due early mornings...like 5am to 8am...and when I first started out the lights are flashing yellow and red. Often I'm the only car in sight. I still make about $10/hr even though the college students are gone. And I get my coffee. Awesome!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Yeah - I'm basically repeating what many have already posted, but you're going to need to tweak your hours to around when rides are needed, it's not like a standard "9 am - 5 pm" gig office job at all.......in fact if you want to be profitable, it's practically the opposite.

Think of it in terms of your services being in demand when people need to get places and consider where they're going throughout the course of their day; 6 am - 10 am usually people are going to work or the airport. Maybe around noonish for lunchtime in a downtown or business district, then 4 pm - 7 pm rush hour home from jobs (again, business district or industrial center). And depending on how adventurous you are, late-night bar crowds need rides to and from restaurants and bars from 10 pm - 2:30 am on some nights during the week. A lot of the variables have to do with your specific city and what's hot and popular on which nights. Summers often involve concerts and outdoor venues- stadiums, etc.

It takes a while to learn all of the inside secrets and these variables change frequently and randomly - it's a constantly evolving "science" that challenges even the most jaded and grizzled veterans out there.

It helps to think of it like fishing: some days you go out there and collect a huge bounty - it's almost too easy and the dough just rolls in. Tips are frequent and pax are cool and generous and it's actually fun. Then other times you bust your ass and feel like you've worked harder than you ever thought possible, and you make a pittance. It's almost embarrassing. You help people with bags - load and unload their crap for them and they don't tip (because some people simply suck shit and have zero basis human decency skills), you're kind and gracious and allow them to eat in your car or you stop at a convenient store for them and they show no appreciation for your help. They suck, they have horrible karma coming their way, and you need to remember that they have theirs coming. Lolol. Some pax are idiotic ******** and that's just life. The majority are cool however.

It takes a while so don't get frustrated to the point of giving up.

IMPORTANT TIPS:
* Drive carefully
* Use a dashcam
* Don't take your ratings too seriously
* Trust your instincts
* Don't let pax or Uber take advantage of you
* SCREENSHOT EVERYTHING!! Uber has a bad habit of not paying properly- always erring on the side of Uber or the pax of course - so you want to make sure you have proof of your rides and your history!! Screenshot is your friend.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts